Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
DA 21/3.2 ltd has quick shift focus (which is most useful), is small and its AF is screwdriver driven. If Pentax introduced FA limited lenses with quick shift focus, I think it would be really welcome idea.
This is the best statement I have read for not including SDM in a limited lens. Keep the lens small. If you look at Tokina's 35mm f/2.8 macro with the focus motor in it for Canon and Nikon, it bears no resemblance to Pentax 35mm f/2.8 which uses screw driven AF. While Tokina's 16-50, 50-135, 12-24, etc. all are dead ringers for the Pentax counterparts. I would much rather have the small precision build and performance of the limited lens than have the body of the lens all bulked up with a good or bad SDM.

08-24-2010, 05:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

There are two kinds of "fast"and "slow".
Most people nowadays seem to call a "slow focusing lens""slows and a "fast focusing lens" fast.

However, "slow"and "fast" used to be used is relation to the aperture so classically speaking the old slow focusing Limiteds where fast lenses and the new, the ones that focus faster, are horribly slow. SDM or no SDM.

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The way Pentax introduced in-lens motors, was really bad.
These mini motors are just crap.
They are very slow and they fail often.
I have word from someone who knows this stuff, who disassembled his SDM lens and was shocked about the poor and cheap construction.
Only advantage is they are more silent.
[...]
Real robust ring motors please!
I think the technlogy exists to make very reliable minimotors and with the wrong material, any ring motor could be just as crappy.
08-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In 10 to 20 years from now, the FA Ltd's screwdrive will still be working (as in the case of the A lenses). I do not know if the same can be said for the DA * SDM lenses. So, my belief is that in this case, less is more.

08-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Yawn, seriously guys quit bitching and moaning......take some photos

I love my 50-135 SDM providing I don't drop it hard like I did the first one :P

Oh I wish I would have thought of that!! Wow, if only I would have thought to take some photos instead of "bitch and moan" about the 4 complete SDM failures I had on two different SDM lenses. I would be feeling so much better now. I guess what I should have done is just manual focus and not worried about it. As long as I "just take some photos" all will be right with the world.

08-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentaxpoke, just for reference, could you be more precise and list the lenses you got problem with? Thank you.
08-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Yawn, seriously guys quit bitching and moaning......take some photos

I love my 50-135 SDM providing I don't drop it hard like I did the first one :P

Thank you. Fantastic shot, btw!
08-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Pentaxpoke, just for reference, could you be more precise and list the lenses you got problem with? Thank you.
Sorry Thibs. I have done so many times, I figured people would know by now. 16-50 and 50-135.

Oh, and jms698, in regards to SDM on Limited lenses: Heck no! What are you thinking? Putting that slow, unreliable SDM abomination on Limited lenses would take the one remaining thing that Pentax has that is unique and attractive, and throw it away for some marketing gimmick. One of the last remaining reasons why people buy Pentax is the fantastic Limited lenses which are optically and mechanically superb and last a lifetime. You can'tsurvive a business model based entirely on small, "weatherproof", colorful cameras!

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 08-25-2010 at 10:33 AM.
08-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
One of the last remaining reasons why people buy Pentax is the fantastic Limited lenses which are optically and mechanically superb and last a lifetime.
This is probably the only reason why I am still with Pentax. Otherwise I would be taking pictures with Nikon.
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
This is probably the only reason why I am still with Pentax. Otherwise I would be taking pictures with Nikon.
You are not the only one, but no Nikon, Sony nor Canon...
08-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
You are not the only one, but no Nikon, Sony nor Canon...
Olympus?
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Olympus?
Neither, I forgot that one. If I had the funds it would be Leica, otherwise I do not know. I do not like camera's and lenses to be so 'overwhelming', 'dominant' and 'present'…
I like to hold them in my hands, not to drag them around. We are not the Volga slaves of the digital camera's…
08-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
What do you think?
The well made noisy unbreakable Limited lenses are what keep Pentax still worthwhile. The day Pentax made them SDM will be the day of their demise.
08-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The well made noisy unbreakable Limited lenses are what keep Pentax still worthwhile.
Unbreakable?
Well, I have seen already several examples of DA Limiteds that have simply broken into two pieces. Example: DA70

08-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Unbreakable?
Well, I have seen already several examples of DA Limiteds that have simply broken into two pieces. Example: DA70
Aha, but are the new limiteds really limiteds? there are I think more new style limiteds than DA or DA* lenses..
No, the truly limited limiteds are the 43, 31 and 77, extremely well built fast (lightwise) primes...
08-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Ok, if you accept only the FAs as true Limiteds, then yes, I have never seen an FA Limited in two pieces.