Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Unbreakable?
Well, I have seen already several examples of DA Limiteds that have simply broken into two pieces. Example: DA70
Actually I am well aware of this, and the FA50/1.4 too. They were the result of poor assembling unfortunately. Did I say Pentax QC is poor these days? But since I can fix problems like this myself, should mine separate on me, I would just reassemble it and do it better than the factory worker so there would be no chance of separating again. Who said the factory dummies didn't matter?

08-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #47
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unbreakable?
Well, I have seen already several examples of DA Limiteds that have simply broken into two pieces. Example: DA70
I have seen Leica's lenses broken too, for whatever reason. And many others. People are looking with scare at many brand new plastic Sony's lenses because they look so fragile and cheap beyond belief (ah, good ol' Minolta's quality's gone forever).
Yours is a first DA Limited that I've seen broken and, with all due respect my friend, it tells nothing about the quality of the lens. There's one million possible reasons why your copy has split itself in two. I sympathise, but don't generalise if there's no justification for it and no more reasons than your personal grief.
08-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
with all due respect my friend, it tells nothing about the quality of the lens.
I never said so.

QuoteQuote:
don't generalise if there's no justification for it
I didn't generalize.
08-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Limited lenses don't need SDMi they're small enough that the screwdrive af is lightning fast, and as such faster than sdm would be anyway. SDM would also prevent limited lenses from being small like they currently are.

08-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #50
Nubi

If they released more limited lens with SDM, I will not buy them. No thank you. But, if they released more limited lens with screw drives, then I would probably buy them even if I don't need them, just for the sake of being complete, more or less. Pretty sad diseases, LBA is. :ugh:
08-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #51
Inactive Account

i want limiteds to be as small as possible, that is maximum possible aperture with 49mm filter.
WR would be nice though.

SDM should go to DA* series together with as fast as possible aperture and no worries about filter size
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Sorry Thibs. I have done so many times, I figured people would know by now. 16-50 and 50-135.
No prob. Just wanted to know if these were again the usual culprits or other ones.
Thanks and... sorry for you btw

08-30-2010, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

to OP: .. i`d prefer Limited lenses with USM
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
to OP: .. i`d prefer Limited lenses with USM
Me Too! (You get my vote for post of the day. )
08-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I am very happy with my DA 17-70 f/4 SDM. Smooth, near silent focusing. It is fast too.
Users are complaining about SDM being slow, but that is because screwdriven and SDM are equal in terms of speed - and they are equal because the limitation is in the camera - the AF processing in the camera - and not the lens.

Some believes that in-lens motors are faster than screwdriven, if they are not then something is wrong. In the 90's, the screwdriven AF that Pentax used was clearly faster than in-lens motors. The MZ-5 with FA 28-70 f/4 AL was a rabbit in terms of AF speed compared to similar priced Canon EOS 50E with 28-80 USM. The in-lens motor driven Canon was a turtle and Pentax was the rabbit. (according to tests made by swedish magazine FOTO).

Snip.......
Confirmed. My MZ-5n was quicker than either the Ds or the K200D to focus my 28-70 F4. However I will say that the K7 appeared to be *AS* fast with it.

I also had an EOS 650 prior to my MZ-5n and can also confirm that the 28-80 USM I had for it was slower than the MZ-5n combo.

In response to the OP, no for anything other than ring-type USM.
Please weatherproof the DA limiteds instead!
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
In response to the OP, no for anything other than ring-type USM.
Please weatherproof the DA limiteds instead!
I agree.

My ideal would probably be D-FA screw-drive WR limiteds.
09-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Unbreakable?

Links?
09-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Unbreakable?
This morning my DA70 wouldn't focus to infinity and I discovered something, probably a screw, was loose inside. I immediately brought it to service, and it's probably a simple repair, but it's probably yet another example of substandard qc - that screw was probably not adequately fastened.
09-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
This morning my DA70 wouldn't focus to infinity and I discovered something, probably a screw, was loose inside. I immediately brought it to service, and it's probably a simple repair, but it's probably yet another example of substandard qc - that screw was probably not adequately fastened.
(Probably)^4 = only speculation
09-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
(Probably)^4 = only speculation
Not quite, I may have been a little to cautious. It's pretty obvious that the loose part was a small screw.

The only speculative part here is if this is an example of substandard QC. We don't really know that without knowing if there are unreasonably many lenses that haven't been assembled properly.