Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #1

Any chance of Limited lenses with SDM?

I'm wondering if there are going to be Limited-series "pancake" lenses with SDM autofocus. It seems kind of backwards to use screwdriver AF on modern lenses like them. Is there any good technical reason not to equip them with SDM? Pentax could release DA* Limiteds with SDM and weather sealing. I'd certainly buy such lenses.

What do you think?

08-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you...NO SDM, PLEASE.
Screwdriver could be faster. Which DA LIMITED slow? Rather fast.

Do you want silence and smooth focusing?
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With all due respect to Pentax and its following of which I am part, I am of the opinion that Pentax should:

1. Publicly admit that they screwed up their first generation of SDM driven lenses. The amount of complaints re 16-50, 50-135, etc cannot be just dismissed.

2. Present reasonably clear solution to the SDM problem. E.g. they could say that they've found a faulty part and replaced the:
a. material
b. specific design decision
c. whatever

Then I would be getting my plastic money ready for their Limited SDM WR lenses.

Meanwhile, I will hold on to my FA limited lenses that will likely keep going for years to come as long as they are bodies to mount them on.

Last edited by Boris; 08-22-2010 at 11:42 PM.
08-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
I'm wondering if there are going to be Limited-series "pancake" lenses with SDM autofocus. It seems kind of backwards to use screwdriver AF on modern lenses like them. Is there any good technical reason not to equip them with SDM? Pentax could release DA* Limiteds with SDM and weather sealing. I'd certainly buy such lenses.

What do you think?
Why would you want that?

08-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
The Limited lenses are about small size. SDM would make them larger and what would we get? A stupid motor in the lens that would become obsolete when the next generation of SDM comes around, which in turn would make our precious Limited lenses outdated a few years down the line?

Good optics doesn't get obsolete easily. But AF motors and SR systems are getting improved all the time - it's a bad idea to bundle those in lenses - they should be in the cameras, which we are in the habit of upgrading more often.
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

An improved SDM, HSM-like would be OK to me.
In FA-Limited, why not. In DA Limited, no space, no !!
08-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #7

what about Hybrid SDM which ~ 2 times faster then today's slow SDM ? Everyone would be happy ?

08-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I tried several SDM lenses (16-50, 50-135, 55). Speed is fine and is no concern of mine. Robustness, longevity and general reliability of this mechanism however are my (personal) concerns.
08-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I tried several SDM lenses (16-50, 50-135, 55). Speed is fine and is no concern of mine. Robustness, longevity and general reliability of this mechanism however are my (personal) concerns.
SDM speed is not fine, even Pentax know this
08-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Indeed, for some purposes and/or specific demands of specific users SDM may be too slow. But I'd rather my lenses focused slowly, but stopped focusing all together after a period of time.
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yawn, seriously guys quit bitching and moaning......take some photos

I love my 50-135 SDM providing I don't drop it hard like I did the first one :P

08-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The way Pentax introduced in-lens motors, was really bad.
These mini motors are just crap.
They are very slow and they fail often.
I have word from someone who knows this stuff, who disassembled his SDM lens and was shocked about the poor and cheap construction.
Only advantage is they are more silent.
Pentax is offering not even the minimum of support, namely the use of shaft AF in case the SDM is failing.
I wouldn't complain if they were using this in their budget lenses, but they are using it in their premium line!

Real robust ring motors please!
08-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
what about Hybrid SDM which ~ 2 times faster then today's slow SDM ? Everyone would be happy ?
Hybrid SDM? Pats sugalvojai?
08-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote

What do you think?
No, thank you. I prefer bulletproof mechanical focussing mechanism over unreliable and failing SDM. Pentax current implementation of SDM is a total failure.
08-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The way Pentax introduced in-lens motors, was really bad.
These mini motors are just crap.
They are very slow and they fail often.
I have word from someone who knows this stuff, who disassembled his SDM lens and was shocked about the poor and cheap construction.
Only advantage is they are more silent.
Pentax is offering not even the minimum of support, namely the use of shaft AF in case the SDM is failing.
I wouldn't complain if they were using this in their budget lenses, but they are using it in their premium line!

Real robust ring motors please!
The main problem of SDM construction is weak material of driving gear.
It could be broken even during guarantee period.

Yes. It's from some kind of polymer plastic, but I don't understand WHO prevents Pentax to change the supplier of components or change the material of details to more solid????