Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The way the focusing ring turns is just sublime. .
i'm sold

I do really like pentax M, never tried pentax A- and I have a few super paragon lenses which feel pretty rubbish

but the pentax viewfinder is letting the side down, come on guys the d300 and the 7d are 80% as good as a FF finder, even the k7 is a real let down, and the live view monitor isn't as good as canon

08-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote

but the pentax viewfinder is letting the side down, come on guys the d300 and the 7d are 80% as good as a FF finder, even the k7 is a real let down, and the live view monitor isn't as good as canon
And what does that have to do with Zeiss lenses in general, or the thread topic specifically?
08-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
i'm sold

I do really like pentax M, never tried pentax A- and I have a few super paragon lenses which feel pretty rubbish

I actually find the K7 VF to be quite good, though I'm using both a split-screen and an OME-53 magnifier, which is probably bordering on overkill. Likewise, the live view, when magnified, works very well for critical focusing.
08-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
And what does that have to do with Zeiss lenses in general, or the thread topic specifically?
It's somewhat related to manual focussing? *shrugs*

08-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Considering that they are made in the same japanese factory, this is normal ;-)
A friend who used extensively both Voigt and Zeiss lenses told me that the main difference is not in construction but in image rendition. Zeiss lenses being more "cold" and Voigt lenses giving more "lively colors" (its words, not mine).
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I've definitely seen plenty of images from Voigts that I would be proud of. I'm most certain that I'll try one someday. In fact, if they put the 125 back in production I'll buy it the moment its available. Who knows, maybe I'll even be "converted" eventually. As much as I love my Zeiss, though, I kinda doubt it.
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The appeal of the ZK's for me are two-fold:

1. You know that you are getting state-of-the-art IQ (the current 25 and 18 are possible exceptions). If you take a bad image, it's your fault.

2. There is an overwhelming feeling of quality that, in my experience, is unsurpassed. The way the focusing ring turns is just sublime. AF ability would absolutely destroy that. There is a heft and solidity that just oozes quality. Even the way the metal hoods click on and off gives me goosebumps.
The first is equalled by Pentax, some say exceeded (depending on if you like blue colour casts or not). The second is fetishism, but nonetheless I concede it has value. Just not the value Zeiss puts on it.

If they cut their price by 50% I would buy Zeiss, as I have good associations with them from Contax days and don't mind losing AF.
08-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The first is equalled by Pentax, some say exceeded (depending on if you like blue colour casts or not). The second is fetishism, but nonetheless I concede it has value. Just not the value Zeiss puts on it.

If they cut their price by 50% I would buy Zeiss, as I have good associations with them from Contax days and don't mind losing AF.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion and you and I have already been through all this before. Don't care to revisit the issue with you.

08-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What exactly was the point of that post?
08-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #39
Zav
Pentaxian

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I've definitely seen plenty of images from Voigts that I would be proud of. I'm most certain that I'll try one someday. In fact, if they put the 125 back in production I'll buy it the moment its available. Who knows, maybe I'll even be "converted" eventually. As much as I love my Zeiss, though, I kinda doubt it.
He was not saying ones were better than the others, just saying they have different character.
08-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #40

Photos: Albums
Thanks DogLover. I have a friend photographer who over the years (before digital) acquired a lot of Zeiss lenses, now he uses a DSLR (Nikon) with a couple of zoom lenses and that's seems to satisfy his needs, but doesn't want to give up his Zeiss lenses and always speaks with reverence about them, essentially using your words. I asked him if he wants to sell them to me so that I could try to use them on K-7 with adapter, but he said he will part with them only when he dies.
I used to use manual focus back 30 years ago with Canon AE1-Program (still have it) and was pretty good at it, but it had a nice split screen and "dots circle" that helped in focusing a lot. I find that with current K-7 design, it's more difficult for me, unless it's a really close shot and I can see the details well. Anyway, I was asking because I am looking for prime lens between 28mm and 35mm. So far DA35 seems a good candidate.
08-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #41
Veteran Member

It is correct that both the Voigtlander and the Zeiss lenses are produced by Cosina. The price difference is mainly due to two things (AFAIK):
1. Cosina is using Zeiss/Schott glass.
2. The quality control is much tighter for the Zeiss lenses. They are supervised in Japan, then sent to Germany where each lens is checked individually again and is getting a control certificate.

This does not necessarily mean that the Voigtlander lenses are worse.
08-26-2010, 04:00 AM   #42
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
It is correct that both the Voigtlander and the Zeiss lenses are produced by Cosina. The price difference is mainly due to two things (AFAIK):
Do you have more information about this? I sometimes hear it but never had evidence of it.
08-26-2010, 05:07 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
2. The quality control is much tighter for the Zeiss lenses. They are supervised in Japan, then sent to Germany where each lens is checked individually again and is getting a control certificate.

This does not necessarily mean that the Voigtlander lenses are worse.
I discussed with a Leica user who said that he gave up on Cosina lenses (read Voigtlander) after 2 when each of them got alignment issues. Quality control is at a price.

Voigtlander lenses have also a Japanese bokej (creamy) while Zeiss lenses have a much nervous one with sharper transition from in focus to out of focus, that gives Zeiss lenses a pronunced "3D" feeling compared to similar lenses.
08-26-2010, 05:12 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Speaking of Cosina:

Cosina joins Micro Four Thirds system: Digital Photography Review

They also announced a native 25mm f/0.95 for the m4/3 mount. I've also heard rumblings that Zeiss is going to introduce a native series of primes for Sony's E-Mount. It's a little funny how all of a sudden there are plenty of legitimate digital rangefinder-esque options.
08-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Do you have more information about this? I sometimes hear it but never had evidence of it.
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/Lens_Production/$File/Lens_Production.pdf

QuoteQuote:
We purchase our optical glass preferably from
the Schott Glass Works.
Of particular
importance here are the optical properties of the
different glass materials and their tolerances.
When choosing our suppliers, we also take into
account their delivery capabilities and delivery
times, their prices and the environmental
soundness of their products. In our optical
production, we currently process 114 types of
optical glass with different refractive indices,
color dispersion, weight, etc. This results in a spectrum of approx. 350 different types of
lens elements with approx. 700 different radii. Each lens consists of several optical
glass materials and crystals, with some almost as heavy as steel and others more
expensive than gold.
We mainly process pressings for serially produced camera lenses. Glass blocks are
used for the production of prototypes and special components. The blocks are first
cut into plates which are then rounded and further processed to produce lens
elements.