Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
I've seen comparisons of the D-FA against the Sigma 105 and Tamron 90. I've also seen comparisons of the ZK Makro-Planar against those lenses. The D-FA compares well against the Sigma and Tamron, but doesn't stand out (unsurprising, these are all superb lenses already and in the same price bracket). The Makro-Planar however outperforms both the Sigma and Tamron, quite noticeably at wider apertures (f4 and wider), less so stopped down.

The WR's are extremely well built for their cost. They aren't in the same class as the ZK's, which are extraordinarily well built lenses. I've held both, as well as the Limiteds. Neither the D-FA WR or a Limited lens is as well built as a ZK. Of course neither costs as much either. A case of you get what you pay for.

Because these are the two closest equivalents in optical performance to the ZK Makro-Planar in terms of native K mount Macros, the D-FA 100 is not in the same class as these three lenses. In fact the APO-Lanthar is better (true APO design with essentially no CA) than the Makro-Planar.

The D-FA 100/2.8 is a very good lens itself but it doesn't compete with APO or near-APO designs like the Makro-Planar or APO-Lanthar. As macro's go, the D-FA 100 is very good but not exceptional.

If you want the best performance for Macro work, the Makro-Planar is probably not your best choice, an APO-Lanthar or Leitax'd 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit will be better (those being the two best Macro lenses in this focal length range, both of which are usable on K mount) given their APO performance and 1:1 capability (of course the Leica requires an adapter for 1:1, but even with the adapter it's arguably the best 100mm macro ever made). The Makro-Planar offers a superb portrait tele and a world-class Macro in the same package, which is a fairly unique offering, for a price which compares well to its closest competition (the APO-Macro-Elmarit runs $2000+ used, the APO-Lanthar is $1000-1400 depending on mount)
Post links to the comparisons you mention. The ones I have seen are done on full frame which is a different ball game. The D FA WR, Sigma and Tammy would also look different on full frame. As far as the quality of the ZK and D FA WR, I highly doubt the ZK is 3x better than the Pentax which is the current price difference at BH and Adorama. The Apo-Lanthar was a lens I was abut to get and they quit producing it and damned if I'll pay cult prices for it. However, it is a 125mm which is actually closer to 135mm than it is 100mm. In fact, the focal length is one of the things that interested me about it.

08-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

With Bokeh Fringing, all rays meet in the focus plane (LoCA is zero).
OK, so then "bokeh fringing" is still a case LoCA just when optical elements can't correct LoCA completely outside of the focus plane... like APO lenses which bring all colors together for the focus plane, but outside they might not be able to eliminate the effect.
08-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
OK, so then "bokeh fringing" is still a case LoCA just when optical elements can't correct LoCA completely outside of the focus plane...
The word "aberration" is defined for the focus plane only.
Therefore we try to find funny new terms like Cofrootfopl (color fringes outside of the focus plane).

08-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #94

Original Poster
No worries, a new Zeiss lens is coming and there is no Pentax version...

Carl Zeiss Lenses's Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

It kind of makes sense, a fast lens like this really shines on a FF sensor.
Really amazing how many people who have never touched a Zeiss lens before,
would spend time bashing everything Zeiss related....
You're right, they s@ck, never ever buy one, please!

08-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote

Interesting. I'd be seriously surprised if they didn't include a ZK mount - it would be the first Zeiss lens in recent history not to have a K-mount option.
08-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Just shows some corporate gamesmanship on Zeiss' part. One of their reps said publicly that this lens will not happen this year (I think he said it back in the spring).

From the picture you can tell that it is considerably larger than the 35/2.

Surely there will be a ZK. I have seen it before that the ZK's don't get mentioned because we're such a small part of the market. Hopefully, that's what happening here.

This is one of the reasons that I chose the 28/2, I figured this lens would eventually come out, just didn't think it would be this soon. Again, though, it shouldn't be a forgone conclusion that this lens will be superior to the 35/2. Time will tell.
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #97

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
...that this lens will be superior to the 35/2. Time will tell.
Not superior, different. 35/2 is a sharp everywhere landscape lens,
this 35/1.4 is more like 100MP, shallow dof artsy stuff.
08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, but who in this thread has done that?

09-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Surely there will be a ZK. I have seen it before that the ZK's don't get mentioned because we're such a small part of the market. Hopefully, that's what happening here.
Looks like there won't be a ZK this time around

Carl Zeiss introduces Distagon T* 1,4/35 for Canon & Nikon: Digital Photography Review
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Yep, no sign of it so far. Oh well, maybe they'll add it later.
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #101
Pentaxian

all this discussion about OO colour fringing.

"...like APO lenses which bring all colours together for the focus plane, but outside they might not be able to eliminate the effect."

That's why it isn't unheard of to combine ED glass with Apochromatic lens designs, the Nikkor 200mm f/2 AF-S ED VR would be even more expensive if they made it apochromatic...but will all that ED glass they stuffed in it there really wouldn't be much point.

Apochromatic lens designs are an elaborate way of correcting optical aberrations. Many of the large format Lenses I use feature Apocrhomatic designs and interestingly, very few of them have ED glass in them. I only own 2 4X5 and 1 8X10 lens that use ED glass in them - and on top of it the 8X10 lens is Apochromatic. And in all probability, is diffraction limited.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-03-2010 at 12:51 AM.
09-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I heard that Zeiss and Voigtlander are discontinuing their lenses in K-mount.
09-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Have they found out they can't compete with our Limiteds?
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #104
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Source? Voigtlander just released the new version (SL II) of the 90mm Lanthar in PKA. It really doesn't make a lot of sense for them to not offer the mount given the registration distance of the Nikon and Pentax are very close. I guess they want to keep expanding Leitax's business.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Have they found out they can't compete with our Limiteds?
There maybe some truth to that. Especially if you factor in the D FA WR.
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
If true, it would be sad to lose the option for such excellent glass.