Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I can't say it enough, but those who say that the K-7 wasn't enough of an upgrade over the K20 just haven't used it enough. Metering is spot on ALL the time, WB is near perfect ALL the time, AF is vastly improved, 100% viewfinder matters, quiet shutter, many software upgrades (lens corrections, etc.). The difference between the two cams is massive, but many just want to hang on the fact that they use the same sensor and that the K20 had a tiny bit better dynamic range and a tiny bit better noise.

c[_]
Maybe the problem is that we use these nice cameras to... take photos. And when the result is not better (as you mentioned some people even say worse), the motivation for upgrading is not really the same than with a great improvement of IQ (especially when the lower model has this better IQ).
Since Kx is out, I cannot advise anymore anybody for a K7. IQ is for me the ultimate criteria. As most of the people on this forum for what I have understood.

08-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #47
Forum Member

I clicked on the link, and found that they've taken down the comparison test. the page now only redirects to the Pentax K7's individual review.
08-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Interesting, the admin said, the review will be reworked and the article is not active.
Have never seen that before.
I tried to have a look now and this is what I got:
QuoteQuote:
Sorry the comparison test that you are looking for has been taken down due to inconsistencies in the review procedure. You may like to look at our individual review of the Pentax K7
Seems that the K-7 part was the reason to take it down.

If anybody wants to see the original article, it's still cached by Google but all but three images are gone.
08-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #49
Inactive Account

at least they had the decency to take down the flawed review.

08-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The editor (Peter Bargh) has made a couple of comments regarding the review on the Pentax User forum.

QuoteQuote:
Yes sorry about that review guys. It was done by a freelance contributor and wasn't checked thoroughly by the team when they put it up as we assumed the freelancer was accurate in his test procedure. It was deeply flawed and will be redone in due course.
Rest assured ePHOTOzine has no bias and it's always been our intention that the best camera wins.

The trouble these days with camera reviews is that you have to not only have read the instruction manual inside out, but know the camera inside out too, and that's every nook and crannie. Camera reviewers get cameras for a short space of time and have to compare all aspects thoroughly. The Canon and Nikon have already gone back so we need to get them back again. And to be credible the test needs to meet the expectations of the existing users who may have had the cameras for months, as well as be sure that every set-up is accurately done. It's quite a challenge to do something as thorough as what was intended in the space of time given to do it.

I'm not sticking up for the reviewer - shooting in centre weighted on one and pattern metering on another is unforgivable
IMO credit where credit is due .. he has stood up and said the review was flawed and that's the reason it was taken down.
08-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
The editor (Peter Bargh) has made a couple of comments regarding the review on the Pentax User forum.

IMO credit where credit is due .. he has stood up and said the review was flawed and that's the reason it was taken down.
I knew he was a stand-up sort of a guy, and that's why I suspected it wasn't intentional bias - he has proved his integrity again.

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-25-2010 at 08:42 AM.
08-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Yep and he seems to get exactly what the problem is (instead of moaning as some reviewers do).

08-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Pentax User Magazine

"I know Peter Bargh personally, he is a decent honest guy and I believe his opinion is unbiased and worthy of serious consideration. He is also a long time Pentax user as well, he publishes Pentax User magazine here in the UK." - Richard Day

source, see post 7: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/75990-tamron-s...4-5-di-ii.html
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Wow, I have never seen an article taken down that quickly to correct their mistakes.

Nice job on notifying them of their improper testing.

I was going to say "Oh great, another crappy and incorrectly done review to knock Pentax down even farther out of people's consideration."

The K-7 is a wonderful camera, it deserves a proper comparison.
08-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Credit for that quick response and actually discussing it with his readers.

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Maybe the problem is that we use these nice cameras to... take photos. And when the result is not better (as you mentioned some people even say worse), the motivation for upgrading is not really the same than with a great improvement of IQ (especially when the lower model has this better IQ).
Since Kx is out, I cannot advise anymore anybody for a K7. IQ is for me the ultimate criteria. As most of the people on this forum for what I have understood.
For me, this is a bit simplistic. It depends what matters for your shooting, and I can categorically say I have got shots with the K-7 I would not have got with my old K10D. I shoot a lot of street stuff and these things matter to me: shutter noise, camera responsiveness, AF speed. I don't worry if viewing at 100% there's a very slight noise or sharpness difference. The IQ of a shot I don't have isn't very good. The K-x is loud, has less user quick control, and slower AF. It's a fine sensor, but for me, there are other factors too.

Bonuses that are good, but not deal breakers, are 100% viewfinder, weather-sealing, TAv mode etc. Things I'd chuck in I-don't-care-at-all box are all the in-camera software things - HDR, CA corrections, lens corrections etc.
08-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #56
Veteran Member

The editor (Peter Bargh) [...] has stood up and said the review was flawed
I express my respect for Peter Bargh.
That's never an easy decision.

The problem he is addressing reminds me of the situation with software tests, like the better development environment by measuring the time needed to do a toy project where the real importance is with large scale projects.

That's almost impossible to do but the trend is to have mixed teams with at least one long-term and reputed expert for every environment.

Maybe, camera shoot-outs must be done with mixed teams too. Which sit together in the end to compile their final tabloids. Makes it more expensive of course but would provide a means to stick out of internet noise too
08-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Once again this illustrates the need for rigor and careful execution in any technically based review of consumer technology on the web if the review is to have any credibility. The technology nowadays is so complex, and there are so many variables to understand and control for. Even reviewing toasters nowadays is hard to do properly without careful attention to detail.
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
The matrix metering with my k10D can best be described as just working randomly, I could never fine tune it with test shots. It almost seems like magic when the k-7 gets it right every time - even in flash P-TTL, which after 1 year of use, I finally fooled the p-TTL two weeks ago when I took a shot of a person standing right in front a wall of windows.
Thanks, good to hear that P-TTL is improved

Quote:
Yes sorry about that review guys. It was done by a freelance contributor and wasn't checked thoroughly by the team when they put it up as we assumed the freelancer was accurate in his test procedure. It was deeply flawed and will be redone in due course.
Rest assured ePHOTOzine has no bias and it's always been our intention that the best camera wins.

The trouble these days with camera reviews is that you have to not only have read the instruction manual inside out, but know the camera inside out too, and that's every nook and crannie. Camera reviewers get cameras for a short space of time and have to compare all aspects thoroughly. The Canon and Nikon have already gone back so we need to get them back again. And to be credible the test needs to meet the expectations of the existing users who may have had the cameras for months, as well as be sure that every set-up is accurately done. It's quite a challenge to do something as thorough as what was intended in the space of time given to do it.

I'm not sticking up for the reviewer - shooting in centre weighted on one and pattern metering on another is unforgivable

Thanks for the info. Well done by the editor, clear talk, instead of just trying to side-step problems

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I can't say it enough, but those who say that the K-7 wasn't enough of an upgrade over the K20 just haven't used it enough. Metering is spot on ALL the time, WB is near perfect ALL the time, AF is vastly improved, 100% viewfinder matters, quiet shutter, many software upgrades (lens corrections, etc.). The difference between the two cams is massive, but many just want to hang on the fact that they use the same sensor and that the K20 had a tiny bit better dynamic range and a tiny bit better noise.
c[_]
Thanks, good hearing about the improvements over previous cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
It depends what matters for your shooting, and I can categorically say I have got shots with the K-7 I would not have got with my old K10D. I shoot a lot of street stuff and these things matter to me: shutter noise, camera responsiveness, AF speed. I don't worry if viewing at 100% there's a very slight noise or sharpness difference. The IQ of a shot I don't have isn't very good. The K-x is loud, has less user quick control, and slower AF. It's a fine sensor, but for me, there are other factors too.

Bonuses that are good, but not deal breakers, are 100% viewfinder, weather-sealing, TAv mode etc. Things I'd chuck in I-don't-care-at-all box are all the in-camera software things - HDR, CA corrections, lens corrections etc.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the K7. Always interesting, how people go about their shooting habits
08-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #59
Site Supporter

I have to give Peter Bargh credit for stepping up.
08-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
I'm sorry, but this is simplistic at best. What may be equated to the cams being essentially equivalent in IQ (the difference, if any, is minimal), is being far outshined by the massive improvements in usability of the K-7, and is being ignored.

Your comment may have some merit, but I truthfully think it only applies to measurebaters and forum users who like to argue on the interwebs (and likely never actually take pictures).

My opinion is based on the fact that I take well over 50,000 photos a year - so I'm well aware of IQ and it's importance, but for anyone who actually uses these camera's (you know, for "real life" pictures) they would find that the improvements in the K-7 are huge.

c[_]