Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #91
Pentaxian

As a newbie, I thank you.

09-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm relatively new to digital photography, and my photography was under-exercised for many years, but I do remember shooting film rated at 25, 50 and 64 ASA when I first bought a Praktica SLR. (Others will remember the first Kodachrome being 12 ASA I think!) My lens was f2.9 - (no auto diaphram and no auto focus) and shooting after 4:30 in the afternoon in winter was very hit and miss. ISO 1600 would have been very handy then, with or without noise.
09-03-2010, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I'm relatively new to digital photography, and my photography was under-exercised for many years, but I do remember shooting film rated at 25, 50 and 64 ASA when I first bought a Praktica SLR. (Others will remember the first Kodachrome being 12 ASA I think!) My lens was f2.9 - (no auto diaphram and no auto focus) and shooting after 4:30 in the afternoon in winter was very hit and miss. ISO 1600 would have been very handy then, with or without noise.
On a complementary note, you could push film but it was extremetely grainy. I never lived that era (started with digital, now my everyday camera is film) but I do have seen some original prints from the likes of Cartier-Bresson, Robert Frank etc and they are not detailled at all and at the same time very grainy at that time, when you wanted definition you were using MF or LF (like Ansel Adams)

Seeing those pictures make you feel that what is important is not technical quality but the feel of it. Sure, modern camera allows to push the bondaries and explore new territories like night aerial photography. But mid-level APSC, even past one generation or two allows for outstanding results if in the right hands.

Having those right hands is a matter of work and inspiration, not of money. So when they lack willpower and talent, they put it on the gear.

Nobodies needs a D700 to take a picture of a cat.