Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
wireless transmission of image to iPad, iPhone or Android... etc. now there's a tool!

08-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #47
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see no reason why Pentax could not have a water tight and strong articulating LCD.

Remember if you wanted to use it as normal you would just keep it in its LCD out position where it is tucked in the camera nice and safe. If you should need it, it is there to make your life MUCH easier, making those low angle shots a breeze and those high perspective shots a snap (no pun intended).

Just my thoughts for a guy who is getting older and can't stand on his head (to get the shot) any longer :- )

wll
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really don't see the need for it in a serious camera. It can only be bulkier and more fragile and more in the way, anyway.

I think what'd be more useful would be a port to plug any number of accessory LCDs into, maybe stick em on the hot shoe. Or if you have an EVF camera, combine viewfinder and LCD into one big thing with a magnifying hood.
08-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I see no reason why Pentax could not have a water tight and strong articulating LCD.

Remember if you wanted to use it as normal you would just keep it in its LCD out position where it is tucked in the camera nice and safe. If you should need it, it is there to make your life MUCH easier, making those low angle shots a breeze and those high perspective shots a snap (no pun intended).

Just my thoughts for a guy who is getting older and can't stand on his head (to get the shot) any longer :- )

wll
Yea, I have no doubt that they could make it weather sealed if they needed to, but just think about the moisture or water (in rain) that would get behind the articulated LCD. Even if it is sealed and the moisture can't get anywhere else, it could still be a bit nasty to have water stuck behind it.

08-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Really don't see the need for it in a serious camera.
It would be invaluable for close up nature work as has already been mentioned. Pentax has a couple of wonderful macro lens that would benefit nicely from an articulating LCD.

It wouldn't be for everyone, but it would be appreciated by some.

My Canon S5IS has one, and it is a very nice feature. It is not bulky, never in the way, and works like a champ. If I want to use the EVF, I just leave the LCD where it is. If I want to do something low or high, it's a simple flip to be able to do that as well.

A port to plug things into, now that would be interesting for studio work, not so much for the field. I carry enough crap with me as it is.

What would be almost as good would be a right angle finder made by Pentax and actually sold in the US.
08-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #51

Has anyone here ever thought about why the Kx successor may name as "KR". "R" may stand for "Rotation". the body of Km/Kx has been used for two generations, need to be redesigned anyway to put on things like red spot, so might as well put on an" rotating screen". The entry level body should have many fancy features to attract new ppl.

And thinking backwards, Pentax may name there entry level product with their most outstanding feature since Km. like

Km, m stand for mini, as Km was claimed as the smallest DSLR at that time.

Kx, x stand for extra, as Kx has so many extra color to choose from.

and so as mentioned Kr.
08-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #52
Forum Member

Mmm... I don't use LV on my K20D because its not very well implemented, and not on my work K7 because it is still pretty clunky (contrast detect AF *shivers*). But I think it has to be an option going forward for APSC in particular.

The 60D looks like it has got it right with a recessed screen, as opposed to the Sonys' which have typicallly jutted out of the body.

For fully pro use you've got moving parts, with a swivel that will ultimately be a weak point. NOT desirable for a fully pro DSLR. Having said that until we go FF I don't think that will be an issue.

Would definitely be good on the K-R.
08-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I'd like to quote Misere writing on T.O.P. about the Canon 60D:

QuoteQuote:
Mike, can I borrow your soapbox for a moment, I'd like to shout out that SWIVEL SCREENS ARE NOT AMATEUR!

Stick a useful feature on an amateur camera and you can be sure the "pro" and "advanced" shooters will raise their nose at it and demand it never be included on their cameras.

I've used a couple of swivel-screen cameras and find it difficult to return to fixed screens afterwards. I suspect most photographers are the boring types (yeah, I said it) that shoot everything through the VF from about 5'8" off the ground. I know what the World looks like from that height, so please show it to me from an angle I don't regularly see it from.
I couldn't have said it better than that.

08-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'd like to quote Misere writing on T.O.P. about the Canon 60D:

I couldn't have said it better than that.
Ah ya big softie... Don't need an articulated screen for that. You just gotta get down and get your handses dirty! Gotta smell that dirt!

Rugged camera boddies need rugged users...
08-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #55
Forum Member

No, they don't. When I'm on my way home from work and have the camera with me, I'm not about to get my Good Pants (tm) dirty. Likewise in a plethora of situations.
08-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Not sure...

I REALLY love the flip out screen on my Canon P&S... to the point that I would NEVER buy another point and shoot camera that doesn't have it. It's great for shooting above your head or down low (or around a corner?) I don't know though... on a DSLR I think I will always go to the viewfinder. I feel like the weight difference/balance between a P&S vs. a Pentax DSLR with a zoom lens attached makes a big difference for me.

Seems like most models featuring it tend to be on the smaller side. Maybe this would work great on a future Pentax Mirrorless camera (if they go in that direction.)
08-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #57

to flip or not to flip

Flip screen is the devil, i love throwing myself in mud/dust/water/garbage/melting snow and use the viewfinder! I am also glad that it does not affect the sealing of the camera, and i'm ecstatic when i see all the whatever-was-on-the-ground-that's-on-me-now falling/dripping/crawling on my camera, lenses, inside the bag/backpack. Or in the car, public transport, house. I'm happy to clean all the mess from all the places!
How many had used the camera in such rough conditions that they were happy it does not have flip screen, otherwise would be broke?
I think a lot of great pictures never existed because we can't pop one eye out and look through the viewfinder at ground level.

Maybe Pentax, if they produce a flip screen, can put sort of rubber sealing between screen and edge, so all can be happy. If you don't want it to flip, don't remove ever the sealing. If you like the flip screen idea, remove it and enjoy!
08-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spmcrq Quote
Has anyone here ever thought about why the Kx successor may name as "KR".
Yes, my guess is that it stands for WR.
08-27-2010, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

My guess is that it stands for Ken Rockwell
08-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #60
Banned

QuoteQuote:
My guess is that it stands for Ken Rockwell
That's just wrong