Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
My guess is that it stands for Ken Rockwell
Rep +1
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #63
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
don't worry, there won't be Articulating LCD's in new Pentax cameras
do you know something that the rest of us don't?
08-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #64
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't need it.....don't want it. Just one more thing to break for a use that would be seldom at best. The LCD is worthless in bright sunlight anyhow, which would just leave you with a worthless extension on your camera for any outdoor daylight shooting.

Casio makes an LCD that is fully usable in the brightest of sun, I have used one, and I don't know why we can't get that instead?
Regards
if you don't need it! don't use it, simple as that! I'm too old myself to get on my chest for low angle shots, so therefore I put my vote in for it

08-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #65
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote
Mmm... I don't use LV on my K20D because its not very well implemented, and not on my work K7 because it is still pretty clunky (contrast detect AF *shivers*). But I think it has to be an option going forward for APSC in particular.

The 60D looks like it has got it right with a recessed screen, as opposed to the Sonys' which have typicallly jutted out of the body.

For fully pro use you've got moving parts, with a swivel that will ultimately be a weak point. NOT desirable for a fully pro DSLR. Having said that until we go FF I don't think that will be an issue.

Would definitely be good on the K-R.
the 60d is not fully weather sealed tho otherwise i would buy it myself
08-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #66

Photos: Gallery
I would be disappointed if when I have to upgrade to a new camera, I have to get an articulating screen. I'm not saying that Pentax should never ever ever consider it, it's just something I would never use, and it's an added liability (Yes, even if I never open it up, it's still a liability. For example, if I dropped my camera, god forbid, I'd rather drop one with its LCD wired in there rather than one on a hinge). I'm not even saying that articulating screens are an "amateur" gimmick. I think they're genuinely useful for some photographers, just not me.

I *do* like the idea of having a wireless LCD screen though (or send to iPod idea), because it gives the flexibility and more of the articulating screen without the liability. Especially if the image is sent to an iPod and one can use the iPod as a remote to adjust focus/aperture/etc. I think that would be ridiculously useful
08-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A bunch of features were considered amateurish when introduced like zooms, TTL flash, AE metering, AF, plastic, built-in flash, and even 135 format itself, and a whole bunch of other stuffs that I miss. Now we embrace them all. How many here really shoot tough and need pro bodies? What are pro bodies anyway? Leica M? EOS1? The original indestructible Nikon F if you are old enough? Or you still insist on painting your own glass film? You considered your ready made off the shelf cameras pro? Are you kidding me? If you cannot shoot fast pace sport with Speed Graphic, you should be ashamed. Not for the pro again? Give me a break!

Vari-angle LCD? I love it. Plastic bodies? So what? Now unlock the MFA and I am buying one, yes, the 60D.

09-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
A bunch of features were considered amateurish when introduced like zooms, TTL flash, AE metering, AF, plastic, built-in flash, and even 135 format itself, and a whole bunch of other stuffs that I miss.
They still are. NOW YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

04-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
1) It increases camera's size
No. Look at the Lumix G2.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
2) It weakens camera's durability
3) It weakens camera's weather resistance.

That's your assumption. It's not proven.
04-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax makes a camera with every gadget possible and it sells like cupcakes, but still keep a body for the likes of myself that just takes great photos. they can leave out the video too if it will save me a couple of $$
04-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #71
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope the new APS-C sized mirror-less Pentax has a articulating screen.

Sold my Canon G9 and bought a Canon G12 just because of the screen issue. It makes life a lot easier for me. I can comfortably shoot angles that would normally have twisted me in knots .

The new little changeable lens Pentax is a nice idea, but will it beat my G12 in image quality, will it have a articulating screen, will it have wide angle lenses ?

We will see in the next few months I'm sure.

wll
04-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #72
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geos Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka:
1) It increases camera's size
No. Look at the Lumix G2.
1) It makes it harder to keep the size down.

QuoteOriginally posted by Geos Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka:
2) It weakens camera's durability
3) It weakens camera's weather resistance.
That's your assumption. It's not proven.
2) Moving parts are always going to be more susceptible to damage than no parts.
3) It makes it harder to keep it weather resistant.

Harder = more expensive.

Like Live View, it's a tick-list feature. 80% of people say they want it, 20% actually use it. If that.
04-04-2011, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #73
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if anyone has tried the "flipbac" mirror (flipbac.com) on a Pentax DSLR - might be a very simple and inexpensive solution for those that want an articulating LCD. They say it fits on a K7 - has anyone used one of these?
Looks like it is $20 + shipping
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #74

I've had a Canon SX10 with fold-out and articulate LCD for over 2 years. I've set it so that the display changes from EVF to LCD and back as it's opened and closed face-in to the camera. The LCD is used for Menus in walk-around use, and when on a tripod. And when on the tripod, it angles or rotates to avoid LCD glare. Also - the angling out-and-around, works very well with the camera low to the ground for Macro.

In the usual facing-in to body position, and lens-cap on, the camera can be placed in a carry-bag without fear of scratching vulnerable surfaces. As for "wear and loosening" - there isn't any - it's as smoothly firm as when new.

I also have a Fuji HS10, in which the LCD tilts, but doesn't articulate - and that function is missed. It doesn't turn to face the LCD inwards for protection when not being used - protection-strips probably help, but not against sharp objects...

I'm just about at the Savings point where I can afford a K-R at our mad Australian prices - almost that of a K-5 in the US...

As "proper" incandescent light-bulbs are now illegal here, the tungsten-lights K-R problem should be absent, I hope.

However - I'm going to miss two things with the K-R - that the LCD doesn't tilt, at least for Macro, and on tripod - and it'll be "back to a Menus-fed camera" - after having external buttons for just about everything on the HS10...

I wonder why, with the much more expensive K-R DSLR body - the makers can't put a similar row of 5 buttons to the left of a 3" tilting LCD? Having ISO - Metering - AF-Mode - Focusing - WB - all on press and rotate Command Dial to adjust, is very handy.

As you can see from the layout of the back of the camera, a 3" tilting LCD, and the 5 buttons to the left of it, do fit quite neatly - so shouldn't be too awkward to do in at least entry-level DSLRs. After all - with the K-R Pentax has at least offered an adaptor so we entry-folk can use our beloved AA-Eneloops...

(image attrib Fujifilm Australia)

Dave.
Attached Images

04-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Vari-angle LCD? I love it. Plastic bodies? So what? Now unlock the MFA and I am buying one, yes, the 60D.
My sentiments exactly. Actually, I am teetering on the edge over the 60D anyway. From what I have read, the 60D is somewhat magical ... it doesn't need the MFA, just like my K200D (doesn't have it) or K20D (never needed it). Odd, eh?