Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Articulating LCD ?

After seeing the new Sony and the new Canon D60 have articulating screens, I very much hope Pentax has this feature in the K-5.

I have been quite vocal about this in the past few years, when doing catalog and some landscape/architecture shoots it is quite difficult to see your shot without getting your body in contortion mode or bending over a ladder till your back is ready to explode.

The articulating LCD, for me would be a HUGE plus in Pentax's next series of cameras, I hope the K-5 has it.

What are your thoughts ?

wll

08-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
After seeing the new Sony and the new Canon D60 have articulating screens, I very much hope Pentax has this feature in the K-5.

I have been quite vocal about this in the past few years, when doing catalog and some landscape/architecture shoots it is quite difficult to see your shot without getting your body in contortion mode or bending over a ladder till your back is ready to explode.

The articulating LCD, for me would be a HUGE plus in Pentax's next series of cameras, I hope the K-5 has it.

What are your thoughts ?

wll
In consumer end cameras yes, but can't see it for the time being in pro bodies.

Mainly because I question the durability of articulating screens.
08-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/111689-nl-tilt-swivel-...ax-needed.html
08-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #4

I hope not. In entry level like k-r (or what it will be) yes, but not in upper level cameras like k7, k5 (or what it will be).

08-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Same here. Ok for entry level, no for upper class bodies.
08-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #6

for upper level camera like K-7 it would be nice that little external LCD could be conected
08-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
for upper level camera like K-7 it would be nice that little external LCD could be conected
sounds like you maybe know something

08-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Same here. Ok for entry level, no for upper class bodies.
exactly!
08-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you need articulated LCD - go Canon/Nikon.

No such "feature" please in Pentax. Never!
08-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
If you need articulated LCD - go Canon/Nikon.

No such "feature" please in Pentax. Never!
I've used an articulated screen extensively on my E-3 and it is one of my favourite features over the K20D I used to use. For tripod, low-level and macro work they really are amazingly useful. I can only imagine how effective they'd be when using video. Not to mention that the E-3 is the most robust body I've used, articulated screen and all.

Definitely not a gimmick.
08-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
Forum Member

I would love to have an articulating LCD in my K-7. Love!

And I don't see how a folded-in articulating LCD would negatively affect durability. On the contrary: You could fold it back and protect the screen from scratching.

An interesting option could be a little external LCD that sits on the hot shoe (or, maybe preferably, somewhere else). But that would be too much clutter, IMHO.
08-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, yes please

I don't understand people against articulating screens. It's just like video, if you don't like it you don't have to use it. In many situations I wished I had one, I tried mirrors and angled viewfinders but they are not as useful IMHO. And the Oly E-3 proved that WR and durability are possible.
08-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somehow I doubt that the K-5 or K-r will feature an articulating LCD... but Pentax should add it, it's a very nice feature if correctly done.

Just my 2 cents.
08-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I don't understand people against articulating screens. It's just like video, if you don't like it you don't have to use it. In many situations I wished I had one, I tried mirrors and angled viewfinders but they are not as useful IMHO. And the Oly E-3 proved that WR and durability are possible.
Yeah why be against it? If anything the people who wish there wasn't one would probably appreciate being able to turn the LCD around, set the camera to M mode permanently and pretend it is 1970!
08-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I totally agree. If you are worried about durability just don't touch it, and I promise it will not break just because it has some unused capability! On the other hand I do not see that much of use for LV currently. If you can easily see the LCD, 99% of the times you can use the OVF.