Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I don't know what you mean by accurate, but it's 100% coverage, which is more than I can say for my K10D's OVF

My experience is exactly the opposite, I find it a lot easier to manually focus on the NX10 than on the K10D, especially in low light. What's more, because there is no dependence on the mirror angle to achieve correct focus with very fast lenses, I've been able to use my 50mm f/1.2 again, and with much greater accuracy than with the K10D. Other manual focus lenses I've played around with to great effect: FA 77 Ltd, Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 and Sigma CAT 600mm f/8.

Could you point me to reviews where they complain about manual focusing with the NX10?

just google up NX10 versus other m4/3 system or APS-C dslr. if your experience with the NX10 is just fine, then I'm happy for you. but personally, I don't find the experience that convenient compared with the other systems that I mentioned and handled. I would pass on this system but felt bad since it's the first APS-C mirrorless which fell short of my expectations, not just EVF, LCD. I might consider one for $100 bucks for certain limited purposes. as a P&S-like travel kit for my wife and one lens-setup for one specific lens.

btw, the NEX cameras look and feel horrendous.

08-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

btw, the NEX cameras look and feel horrendous.
... to you.
08-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
... to you.
yes, for me.

08-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #34
Veteran Member

You said the NEX cameras, as in any and all of them. You didn't state a specific body/lens combo. I could just as easily post a photo of the NEX5 with the 16mm, looking grippable and balanced.

For the record, I had no problem handling my big ol' 70-300 on my tiny, gripless Oly E-410 back in the day. With a big lens, you grip the lens. This always comes up in discussion. I don't know why people keep making a big deal about it. Unless it's a 300mm f2.8 or something bigger (which probably should usually be used on a tripod regardless of the camera it's attached to), it's really not that hard to just do most of the supporting with your lens hand while you continue operating the camera with your right.

08-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

This always comes up in discussion. I don't know why people keep making a big deal about it. Unless it's a 300mm f2.8 or something bigger (which probably should usually be used on a tripod regardless of the camera it's attached to), it's really not that hard to just do most of the supporting with your lens hand while you continue operating the camera with your right.
Having seen people (not pros) taking photos in the street and on home-made camera review YouTube videos, I'm starting to suspect that most have no clue how to correctly hold a camera

08-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

You said the NEX cameras, as in any and all of them. You didn't state a specific body/lens combo. I could just as easily post a photo of the NEX5 with the 16mm, looking grippable and balanced.

For the record, I had no problem handling my big ol' 70-300 on my tiny, gripless Oly E-410 back in the day. With a big lens, you grip the lens. This always comes up in discussion. I don't know why people keep making a big deal about it. Unless it's a 300mm f2.8 or something bigger (which probably should usually be used on a tripod regardless of the camera it's attached to), it's really not that hard to just do most of the supporting with your lens hand while you continue operating the camera with your right.
I understand that it is fine with you erikksen. but it is not fine with me and in fact, I find it uncomfortable on my part. this may not be an issue for you, but it is for me. I do prefer something to hold in the sides as well. so all in all, not everybody has the same preference as you do. aside from that, I'm left-handed.
08-31-2010, 03:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

That's precisely my point; everyone has different preferences. I hate it when people throw totally subjective judgements out there ("x looks or feels horrendous") without the disclaimer "to me." Whether it's a Sony or a Pentax, cameras or clothing, whatever. Yeah, many people will read and reasonably infer that subjectivity is implied, but this is the internet, so there are also a bunch of overzealous posters who seize on any opinion thrown out there as if it were fact and go around spewing them all over otherwise reasonable, logical discussions. The qualifier "to be" may not prevent all of them, but I feel every little bit helps.

08-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Zack, I can't shave without a mirror!
I'm thinking, if the high-resolution, instant view of the bathroom mirror would be replaced by a low resolution, electronic "slide show"... awful. I'd have to zoom in all the time, and my face would be full of cuts - because the razor would always be two steps ahead the image.
No mirrorless for me.

you see?that´s what i mean
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I guess this is what all the fuss is about:

Samsung NX-100 preview at DPReview

I have been giving it some thought, and I am ready for a Pentax EVIL camera. I would love a way to use my large collection of premium Minolta MF glass again (including MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.2), and any mount with a short registration distance should allow this with a simple adapter, but I would also LOVE to be able to use my Pentax AF glass in all it's functionality on this camera as well, and since, as far as I can tell, there are no adapters available to allow me to do this on any of the other manufacturers' EVIL cameras, that means I am relying on Pentax to step up to the plate and release an EVIL that takes the K mount.

Thoughts??
09-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

...life changing. Right. The only exciting thing here is the announced lens lineup. Until they improve both camera design and sensor neither this or the NX10 is a very compelling product.
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Szymon Quote
According to their press release Samsung is set to unveil a new NX-series digital camera that will “change the lives of creative consumers around the world” and "will take camera industry by storm"
Talk about hype!
The NX100 is a big yawn for me - seriously, no IS either in the lens or the body??! What are they thinking?
09-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
That's a common fallacy by people who have never used a mirrorless camera in low light.
When the light is almost DARK, you see almost nothing in an OVF, while with an EVF or LCD on a mirrorless camera, you can at least see something, even if it is grainy.

Notice how much brighter the image is on the LCD? See the coat stand just to the right of center? You can see it on the EVF, but you can't see it at all without it. This demonstrates that the EVF/LCD produces a much brighter REFERENCE for framing and focusing(for example manual focusing), than an OVF with the same lighting conditions.

Now I'm NOT saying that the EVF is superior to an OVF in normal light, but it's still pretty good. But in LOW light, it produces a grainy but brighter image than an OVF. So the " LCD/EVF is bad in low light" story told by people who have never used a micro 4/3 camera in low light is total nonsense...
This doesn't work for me on my K-x. Perhaps it is due to the maximum analog ISO of 1600, but it gets dark and grainy before I can fail to see (although the screen's actual brightness can of course be as bright as one can want)

A picture isn't a great representation as, well, it will amplify the differences in light levels compared to our eyes. A picture will map it linearly, while our eyes will see a much greater range.
09-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know- HDR display EVIL camera- with analysis matching to your own vision! Not far off, actually, with LED technology.. Then we'll be in the real world of imaging.

Face it- we're all able to cope with how we view imagery from so many different sources- from the restricted gamut of CMYK print to sub-par TN panel LCD monitors. That's why I still can't part from this old 21" trinitron tube CRT- and that's not anywhere near what our eyes perceive.

We've been living with imaging that is restricted in every sense in comparison to the capabilities of the human eye since the first cave man scratched an ibex figure on a cave wall.

A challenge to the imaging corporations worldwide- give us what our eyes see!
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #44
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the current NX is life-changing in its own right. When an owner sees high-ISO shots of it compared to others in its class, it makes them vow to never buy such an 'inferior' product in their life again. Sounds like a life-changing commitment to me.
09-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #45
Pentaxian

It already has changed my life. I threw away 5 minutes of my precious time to read about totally uninteresting Samsung cameras and lenses!