Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice article but I have a couple of comments.

QuoteQuote:
"MILCs aren't really an evolution, they are simply a way to get cameras back to the size they used to be. Nobody was complaining that the Pentax LX or Nikon F2 or Olympus OM-1 were too small;"
But in these times it seems to me that primes or small zooms were more the norm. And I'm still not convinced by current mirrorless cameras. Fast zooms are going to be very unbalanced on these cameras.

QuoteQuote:
"Now imagine they make it weather-proof, it immediately sets them apart from the pack."
Agree. The mock up drawn by a member of this forum was very interesting. It was essentially a K-7 without the mirror box. Up till now no mirrorless camera is as sophisticated as a K-7. The most advanced being probably the G2 but it's not as rugged or as good ergonomically.

QuoteQuote:
"On Why It's Not Too Late"
It's not too late, most systems still have very few dedicated lenses available, even the 2 years old m4/3 has not that much glass despite having 2 players. Sometimes it's also better to be late in the game. You can learn from others' mistakes and hit the target right in the middle.

QuoteQuote:
"Currently, the most serious of the lot is the Panny G2, but it has a 4/3 sensor; after that I would place the Samsung NX10 (APS-C)"
I know you like the NX10 but IMHO Sony and Panasonic are ahead for one reason: video. They have video cameras using the new mounts and that capability will make for a more complete system. That is also the weakness of players like Pentax or Nikon. They have no experience with video. Of course Samsung could also offer a NX dedicated video camera.

QuoteQuote:
"In 2 or 3 years time it will be too late, because MILCs will be the highest selling segment of all cameras (as I expect P&S to have been made obsolete by cameraphones), so whoever doesn't have a MILC line will be suffering financial difficulties."
Not sure about that. P&S have still a long way to go because only they can offer 20x zooms in a seriously compact package. Mirrorless systems will have their market but it's not yet sure if in 2 years they will surpass OVF cameras. They still have some hurdles to overcome: better AF, especially continuous, better EVF (current resolution is still too low IMHO), display lag and battery drain, to name a few. second generation G2 and EP-2 didn't seem to improve much on these fronts.

08-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #17
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote

Someone said it was too late because Olympus, Sony and Panasonic already have theirs. And so does Samsung, but it's not too late to bring out a serious MILC. Currently, the most serious of the lot is the Panny G2, but it has a 4/3 sensor; after that I would place the Samsung NX10 (APS-C), which has ergonomics reminiscent of Pentax, and is only let down by its simple firmware. If Pentax released something like the NX10 but with Pentax K-x firmware (and sensor!), it would be a killer camera.
Miserere,

A very well written post and I agree with you 100%, especially the paragraph I quoted.

wll
08-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
On Focusing Manually

On MILCs (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras) with an EVF, manual focusing is easier than with an optical VF because the whole screen works akin to the annular micro-prism sections in old manual focus SLRs. This is true even if you're not using the magnified image, which as was rightly pointed out is mostly useful for stationary subjects (but I've successfully used 2x magnification with people walking in the street).
I cannot imagine that none of the MILC manufacturers have gotten the luminous idea of using only the central part of the viewfinder for the magnified image (like the central ring of microprisms on old SLR's). I've often wondered why my Panasonic G1 cannot do that. This way you would have focusing and composing abilities at the same time. Surely my idea isn't that hard to implement?
08-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I cannot imagine that none of the MILC manufacturers have gotten the luminous idea of using only the central part of the viewfinder for the magnified image (like the central ring of microprisms on old SLR's). I've often wondered why my Panasonic G1 cannot do that. This way you would have focusing and composing abilities at the same time. Surely my idea isn't that hard to implement?
I've read this idea before.
It would be doable on the K-7 live view screen up to 6x magnification (this I can deduce from what I know about the implementation) but maybe not for the 8x and 10x steps.

In general, its not doable if the magnified view is created from a partial read-out of an ROI (region of interest) on the sensor. Some sensors support an ROI mode in hardware and I can imagine that Oly/Panasonic sensors are an example for that.

09-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #20

The fact that Adam updated the database of the entire auto110 system, has nothing to do with the PENTAX EVIL system, has it?