Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The leaked price is wrong for a FF.
The name K-5 is wrong for a FF.
Even if there was a FF in the pipeline Pentax would have to release an update to the K-7 to stay competitive in the top segment of the APS-C market.
So even if there was a FF in the pipeline it's not the K-5.

I think Pentax will get into the FF market ultimately but my guess is it will take at least another year, more likely 2. I think the moment for Pentax to get into the FF market will be when the cost of producing one have dropped to a point where they are able to build a camera that's sufficiently affordable to be profitable in sales numbers even at the small market share that Pentax has. They would also have to be able to sell sufficient numbers of that camera to make releasing a line of FF lenses a profitable venture.
One of the current problems in doing those things is the rising Yen. Since May the yen has risen in value by 13% in relation to the dollar and with 20% to the Euro and those rises are still continuing. Hoya reports its profits in Yen and the high Yen negatively affects profit margins for Europe and US sales. My guess is that they will wait with a FF at least until the Yen has stabilized somewhat.

08-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We know they'll improve on something, offer us something new. That's the whole point of camera shows, to show off what they've got. So what if it's not "exactly" what we expect or want. Isn't it enough that Pentax is still in business and is still here to think ahead to the next round of cameras? They surprised a lot of people with the K-7 and K-X. You don't think they will again? Me, I am sure they will. Every time they give us something new it's just that much better. I'm happy just to wait and see. I really don't have too many expectations. I just want to see what they'll come up with next, whatever it is...
08-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #18
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graham67 Quote
What if this website renamed this forum "Wishful thinking, dreams, and drivel"?
+1

And I doubt they'd call their FF camera K-5. Too similar to K-7.
08-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by milarmon Quote
What if...
What if... we'll just wait for the final product(s)?
Speculating without having a clue is a waste of time. Wishing for a Pentax FF - the same (or so it seems).

And why are you asking us if we think you can be "more informed"? No, I don't think so A lot of people tried to look informed (ogl and few others) but they just aren't.
The ones that are, don't tell - they don't start such threads.

08-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by milarmon Quote
What if everyone was making supositions like allways and no one knows anything?
Read my blog article linked in the Pentax and Photokina 2010 thread.

Actually, that Pentax forthcoming high-end camera revealed at Photokina is APSC is News, not Rumor. I wouldn't have written my blog article as otherwise, I would risk to look like a complete idiot

Last edited by falconeye; 08-30-2010 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Replaced "Unfortunately" by "Actually"
08-30-2010, 02:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I agree that is News. I don't agree with the "unfortunately" part, though
IMO, a high-end APS-C camera is more important now than a low-end FF (a high-end FF would be, most likely, suicide). They can't go "FF" unless their APS-C system is competitive, i.e. providing a customer base (from which a small part would go "FF")

Yes, the K-x did (and still does) a good job; but the K-x/K-7 duo can't continue to play this role for long. Either Pentax would be satisfied with a decreasing market share, or they'll reinforce the APS-C ranks with new product(s).
Maybe is not what we're wishing for, but I'm 100% sure, what they'll show will make perfect sense.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-30-2010 at 02:28 AM.
08-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I am thinking that at this very point the best strategy is to just wait. I've both arguments pro and contra new APS-C camera, some if not all of which were voiced here (in this section of the forum). At this very moment, I am thinking that the fact that Pentax keeps in production only two camera models may be a sound choice from many points of view, but it is also not very attractive one. To consider a full opposite of narrow bench so to say, would be Canon that has models ranging from 1000D through 550D, as of recently 60D, 7D, 1D series, 5D series and 1Ds series. It is like with cars - if you have just one model and two engines, it is not all that attractive, unless you're Ferrari or Maserati, which Pentax unfortunately is not. You have to diversify even if it is mostly lip service to modern times. Pentax, being known for their own way of doing things, has somehow to become attractive. Colorful cameras were a step in this direction. Perhaps another steps in this direction will be taken. It is therefore the best for us to let the time pass (we can spend it shooting by the way )...

08-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #23
Banned

"What if everybody's wrong?"
Of course everybody's wrong -- none of us here have a slightest idea what exactly will happen at Photokina this year. That's the whole point -- we must be and stay wrong till then. But after all the announcements, everything will still be wrong and remain wrong because for whatever bizarre reason we'll find Pentax delivering us totally 'wrong' things. Because something will always be missing. And the rant will continue ...
08-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What if everyone was making supositions like allways and no one knows anything?

That's not a rumor, it happens every release cycle.
08-30-2010, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
+1

And I doubt they'd call their FF camera K-5. Too similar to K-7.
Yeah, I mean think about Canon and their Eos 5D and 7D. Wait a sec...
08-30-2010, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #26

all OK, we will see two DLSR pentax cameras. Don't worry

One of the Pentax people said (Mark Sherengo):
"I think our philosophy for the back half is "Know thy customer." We are going to ride the momentum that's going for the W90, we're going to continue with the Kx. We're going to have two more d-SLRs that we'll introduce in the back half. There's going to be a lot of solutions, and our goal is to be traditionally where our channel hasn't been, and our introductory level will be in gifting, will be in scrapbooking, will be in different areas with this one solution"

Article here:
New Tech, d-SLRs To Drive Holiday Sales - 2010-08-30 04:12:00 | TWICE
08-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I agree that is News. I don't agree with the "unfortunately" part, though
I changed the text now. You're right. Pentax should not release an FF camera and not update the K-7.
08-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Hopefully, they'll release an "FF" soon - then, everyone would be happy.
Except for the mirrorless crowd
08-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
all OK, we will see two DLSR pentax cameras. Don't worry

One of the Pentax people said (Mark Sherengo):
"I think our philosophy for the back half is "Know thy customer." We are going to ride the momentum that's going for the W90, we're going to continue with the Kx. We're going to have two more d-SLRs that we'll introduce in the back half. There's going to be a lot of solutions, and our goal is to be traditionally where our channel hasn't been, and our introductory level will be in gifting, will be in scrapbooking, will be in different areas with this one solution"

Article here:
New Tech, d-SLRs To Drive Holiday Sales - 2010-08-30 04:12:00 | TWICE
Nice quote, but ............ scrapbooking?!
08-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Nice quote, but ............ scrapbooking?!
At least, he didn't make reference to Ashton Kutcher like Nikon did in the same article