Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

No one has seen or commented on this yet, so...

I thought I'd do everyone the service.

Photography Bay had received a tip on August 27, 2010 - that's three days ago from this post, or an eternity when it comes to rumours. Something to be announced on Sept. 8, 2010, with the following tease:

Rumor Alert: Yet Another New DSLR Coming September 8th Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Image:

Already checked exif; nothing interesting there. I lightened it up a little and found not much extra from what you can already make out, other than you can see a lens attached.

Looks Pentax-like to me, assuming it is real, for the following reaseons:
  • The self-timer light on the grip looks similar to previous bodies (K10/K20/K200)
  • The PC-sync port location and cover looks similar to previous bodies (K20/K7)
  • You can just make out that the shutter button ring is similar to the Pentax style (power switch around the shutter), although it's hard to tell if it would be black or silver at this point
  • The texture on the side with the PC-sync port looks similar to previous bodies (K10/K20/K7), although this is hard to tell at this point
  • The button next to the shutter (green button) is in almost the exact location as previous bodies (K10/K20)
  • The mode dial is knurled and similar to previous bodies (K10/K20)
  • The mode dial has a selector switch at the bottom similar to previous bodies (K10/K20)
  • The prism/flash area is flat and similar to previous bodies (K10/K20/K200) and looks very Pentax-like; I don't believe other brands have the same style as this
  • The shoulder strap attachment location is in the same location as previous bodies (K10/K20/K200)

However, there are a few differences that you can make out already:
  • The green button next to the shutter button is more recessed from previously
  • The prism/flash area is higher and less angular than the K7, so it would be more like the K10/K20/K200 lineage
  • The mode dial has four "levels" of knurled texture, the K10/K20 had three
  • The "shoulder" of the body is a little more squared off than previous bodies (K10/K20)

It looks like a blend of K200 and K20 elements. Does anyone else have anything else to add?

08-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes...Sure. The right side looks like Pentax

Last edited by ogl; 08-30-2010 at 10:10 AM.
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If that's really a pic of K-r (K5 supposedly announced later), then K-r has a flash sync terminal.

It looks a lot like K200/K20 but looked at a couple pics on the Net and it didn't match so it is either really the new body or it is PSed.
08-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Nikon D90 replacement, D7000.

Look at the triangle on top of the hand grip. The IR receiver on the grip can be found on the D3100. The mode dial sitting right of the viewfinder hump is an indication of a status display to the left (all viewed from front). Button behind shutter button is also present on Nikons. D90 has exactle the same sling eyelet as seen on right. Mode dial looks very Pentax/Sony, though.

08-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
Surprised that no one else has seen this yet

So here it is:

via Photography Bay:
Rumor Alert: Yet Another New DSLR Coming September 8th Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Coming Sept. 8, 2010. Could be the rumoured Nikon body, but I think it might be Pentax related for the following reasons:
  • Self timer lamp in grip position
  • Power switch ring around shutter button
  • Green button location (although recessed instead of raised)
  • Flat prism/flash profile
  • Knurled mode dial (although with 4 instead of 3 knurl levels as on K10/K20)
  • PC sync port location and cover
  • Grip texture looks similar
  • Maybe a raw button (when image is lightened)

Looks like a blend of K20/K200 bodies, with a slight squared off shoulder at the mode dial. Seems plausible to me, assuming this is real. I can't believe no one else has seen or posted this already though - it's been 3 whole days since the original post...

Last edited by thigmo; 08-30-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Edited thread title
08-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Definitely looks Pentax to me

the mode selector, the IR receiver and the ring around the shutter are what do it for me

The shutter button eliminates Canon, and it doesn't look bulbous enough to be Nikon, especially with a seemingly recessed hot shoe, however the mode dial is tilted and not flat like the Kx and K7
08-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It does not have the K-7 strap lugs so... have my doubts. The K-7 has the strap lugs to make it look more retro.

The prism also does not particularly look like Pentax so I vote "no" on this being a Pentax camera.

I might be wrong though

08-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

It looks like water droplets on the front when upping the exposure?
08-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
emr

So is Pentax marketing coming out of hibernation and trying to repeat the blurry picture craze from last year? A new member with three posts and two of them have this same information.
08-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
Nikon D90 replacement, D7000.

Look at the triangle on top of the hand grip. The IR receiver on the grip can be found on the D3100. The mode dial sitting right of the viewfinder hump is an indication of a status display to the left (all viewed from front). Button behind shutter button is also present on Nikons. D90 has exactle the same sling eyelet as seen on right. Mode dial looks very Pentax/Sony, though.
I don't remember such mode-dial in Nikon cameras...

08-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What is it with newbies who have to create multiple rumor threads to try to establish some sort of first to spread the news scoop...???
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thigmo Quote
\
  • Self timer lamp in grip position
  • Power switch ring around shutter button
  • Green button location (although recessed instead of raised)
  • Flat prism/flash profile
  • Knurled mode dial (although with 4 instead of 3 knurl levels as on K10/K20)
  • PC sync port location and cover
  • Grip texture looks similar
  • Maybe a raw button (when image is lightened)
I think that is the new Olympus flagship (e-5?). Don't mean to burst your bubble! We all know new models are coming, but I don't think this is it - as for this photo, compare to the high end Oly's out there (against your list above):

1. They have the self-timer in the same spot on the e-30
2. I don't know if that is a power switch around the shutter, kind of speculative!
3. Lots of buttons on high end cameras.
4. Oly's most recent 4/3 cameras have pretty flat prisms as well.
5. Oly e-30 has a 4 row knurl.
6. PC sync is in the same spot on the E-3
Last two are speculative as well.

Personally, it looks too rounded, Pentax has definitely been cutting the edges off of their DSLRs - both the K-7 and K-x have decidedly squared looks to them. The prism is about the only visual knod I would give here, it is pretty cut. The top edges are quite rounded in comparison, and just don't fit with Pentax's general design esthetic.

Edit: I definitely don't see that fitting with Nikon either - none of their dSLRs have had the timer lamp on the grip like that, and their mode dials clearly have never come close to looking like the one in the photo. overall trim of the photo has a nikon look, but several of the details don't fit. They also use the small hook ring loops for the strap lugs (like on the K-7), not the more standard flat loop hole shown in the photo above!
08-30-2010, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #13
ogl
Banned

K20D and ???

Attached Images

Last edited by ogl; 08-30-2010 at 10:56 AM.
08-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Forum Member

It really looks like a Pentax K10D,K20D design. I would much prefer this design for the new model over the K-7 design
08-30-2010, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi Quote
It really looks like a Pentax K10D,K20D design. I would much prefer this design for the new model over the K-7 design
Me too..it seems to me it's 100% Samsung GX20.

Last edited by ogl; 08-30-2010 at 10:56 AM.