Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5

16MP sensor - not too much of an upgrade. they could had pushed it at 18MP atleast to match the 7D.

ISO 25,600 - 2 stop advantage over the K-7. just ok to have but would find it rather less useful for me since I rarely shoot at Higher ISO. besides, I would prefer a higher DR capability over it.

cleaner images at Higher ISO due to superior sensor - this has yet to be seen. although RAW PP NR softwares nowadays are pretty capable of that and even better than camera NR.

faster fps - as long as it's AF is accurate and locks quickly, then this would be great for action photography. if I get blurry images, it would be a waste.

APS-C - not again.

viewfinder - still unknown.

mirrorless - I dunno.

if it's a mirrorless camera with a bright and large viewfinder and LV, it would make it more interesting.

Am I going to get one? I might just wait till next year.

09-06-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

when is the date of official information release? 9 or 20 sept? any reliable date?
09-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

October.
09-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #19
Forum Member

no i meant first information announcement. no more guesses and speculations!:ugh:

09-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
You do make a good point there, can't argue with that.
When I was shooting a D200, I started indoor work and found myself pushing past ISO1600 quite often. Then I got a K20D and ISO3200 became a reality, then past ISO3200 quite often. Then my wife replaced her K200D with a Kx, and 6400 became a viable option, then I found myself pushing past ISO6400 quite often. Then I picked-up a D700, and the story of useful high ISO continues...

Just a week ago, I did a shoot on a wildlife reserve at sunset(for the lighting), which required ISO6400 - 12800 to keep shutter speeds in check(160'ish) at 500mm. I pulled it off, but the files required far more work that I ever cared to do for the job. Which only promotes the idea that a higher performance camera(D700) would have done better in this case.

For me, high ISO shooting has become a big part of my work.
09-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
no i meant first information announcement. no more guesses and speculations!:ugh:
When Photokina starts
09-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
ISO 25,600 - 2 stop advantage over the K-7. just ok to have but would find it rather less useful for me since I rarely shoot at Higher ISO. besides, I would prefer a higher DR capability over it.

cleaner images at Higher ISO due to superior sensor - this has yet to be seen. although RAW PP NR softwares nowadays are pretty capable of that and even better than camera NR.
If it's the same 16 mp Sony sensor already released in a few other cameras, then we already know it will have better dynamic range and have cleaner high ISO images than the K-7 does.

However, if you're happy with the K-7 and have no need for another camera that isn't a quantum leap, waiting might not be a bad idea. I'll probably get the K-5 when it comes out because I want a second camera and it will help me with my wedding and sports photography, otherwise I'd probably wait, too.
09-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
If it's the same 16 mp Sony sensor already released in a few other cameras, then we already know it will have better dynamic range and have cleaner high ISO images than the K-7 does.
Any ideas which other camera's might have this sensor?
Also... did any other camera sport the same sensor as the Kx? and if so... were they similar in ISO performance? I'm just trying to determine how much latency in terms of output Manufacturers have with regards to processing(if any).

09-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Also... did any other camera sport the same sensor as the Kx? and if so... were they similar in ISO performance? I'm just trying to determine how much latency in terms of output Manufacturers have with regards to processing(if any).
It's also tough because Sony has so many different models it's hard to keep them straight, lol.

I think the speculation I've seen so far is that the K-5 will have the same sensor that is being put in the Sony A580:

Sony releases DSLR-A580 and DSLR-A560: Digital Photography Review

We haven't seen the A700 replacement yet so there could very well be another sensor out there. I notice this about the A580 specs

• ISO 100 - 12800 (Extended: ISO 25600 in Multi-Frame NR Mode)

If the K-5 goes to 25600 without a multiframe mode it would probably have to be slightly different, right?

As for the K-x sensor, I thought it might be the same one they put into the Sony A500, which I don't remember hearing a thing about after it was released. Sony sort of has a reputation of not getting the best performance out of their own sensors for whatever reason.
09-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sony A55 for 16 MP?

D5000 and, I think, D90 for the K-X sensor.
09-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Sony A55 for 16 MP?

D5000 and, I think, D90 for the K-X sensor.
Thanks!
I think you may be onto something with the Kx/D90
Interestingly enough, the D90 does a little better than the Kx on detail at ISO6400.
Which is rather intriguing that Nikon didn't one more stop in sensitivity. Because it looks like the there was more headroom than the Kx in that regard.
09-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
When have you ever needed 25,600 iso?

Christ I rarely ever need anything more than 1600.
That would be stunningly useful for low available light photography. At half or a quarter that, think usable shutter speeds at long focal lengths. With the winter overcast in the Pacific Northwest, I often cannot get a wildlife photo in the woods unless the critter is absolutely still, then I'm using 3200 ISO and NR.

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 09-07-2010 at 01:53 PM.
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shoot fairly frequently around ISO 2000 on my K20D with pretty good results. Hate to go much higher than that though. Helps that I'm shooting with fast primes: Sigma 28 f/1.8 or Pentax 35 f/2 or Pentax 50 f/1.4 etc.

IN the list of (rumored) specs for the K-5, the only item that really interests me is the ability to shoot at higher ISOs. Looks like that would cost me about $1600 if I wanted to get it this year. I could defray the cost somewhat by selling one or two of my older bodies. And going this route would also have the advantage of keeping me in the Pentax fold. Jumping to another brand is NOT an inexpensive proposition.

I gather that I could improve on the high-ISO, low-light performance of my K20D by buying a K-x for $500. Then I could continue to use all the lenses I have already. And the K-x, I think, would give me an improvement of about one stop.

A more interesting but somewhat more expensive alternative would be to buy a Sony A55 with a single fast lens. If the initial reviews are correct, that would give me a boost of perhaps TWO stops, maybe even more. I think that would cost me a good $1K initially, but would have the advantage of planting a good in another platform, giving me more options for the future. There's a LOT to like about the A55. There are also some things not to be so excited about, for example, it has just 1 e-dial. I guess I would have to shoot in Av mode all the time because using M with 1 dial is just frustrating, and I gather also that P on the A55 doesn't have either hyperprogram OR even program shift.

Or I could just stick with what I've got. Or buy the Sigma 30 f/1.4 and give myself some extra light in that range. The Sigma 28 f/1.8 is very good and the half-stop difference or whatever it is between f/1.8 and f/1.4 isn't earth-shattering but would be nice.

The new lens is probably the most sensible choice. Or doing nothing. Buying the A55 is the most exciting idea, at least at the moment (when I know very little about what I might NOT like about the A55). But I can't see myself spending $1600 mainly to get better high ISO performance. If I were going to spend that much I'd be tempted to go full-frame either with the Sony A850 or with an older, perhaps used Canon 5D....

Will
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #29
Forum Member

any guesses on the new price of the K-x? The k-r seems pretty expensive as an entry level dslr.
09-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shadmanaj Quote
any guesses on the new price of the K-x? The k-r seems pretty expensive as an entry level dslr.
K-x body only is $510 right now at Amazon in the USA. I can't see it getting a LOT cheaper than that any time soon.

The K20D right now on Amazon is selling for more than the K-7. Go figure. ADDENDUM 2 minutes later: No, I'm wrong. The K20D right now is $10 cheaper than the K-7, $860 vs $870. Body only.

Will