Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
I certainly want a usable 6400 ISO, currently I consider the K-7's 3200 usable. A new sports park has just opened here, artificial surface, with dim lights! I won't be going back there for a night game with the K-7. So 6400 or more that's usable would be fantastic!

09-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I certainly want a usable 6400 ISO, currently I consider the K-7's 3200 usable. A new sports park has just opened here, artificial surface, with dim lights! I won't be going back there for a night game with the K-7. So 6400 or more that's usable would be fantastic!
Are you serious? I think the K7's 800 ISO usable. 1600 is kind of bad. Not sure how can you accept K7's 3200 performance. It is worse than k20d's high ISO performance.
09-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #33
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 41
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaitanya Quote
I used recently Nikon D3s and I found myself shooting at ISO 8000 as I was shooting a snake in pretty dark enviornment. Those high Iso are useful if you are shooting in low light.
I remember seeing the one of the first sample images from the original D3, the motorcycle one, and was completely blown away. And when I read it was shot at 25,600 ISO I was even further blown away, lolol. I need to see if I can look it up.


Anyways, I find it silly that people are debating whether they should be this camera or that camera relying solely on rumors. A DSLR is a big investment, most people should be able to wait a weeks.
09-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 550
K-7's ISO only 100 to 800. I tried 1600, 3200, and 6400 but it is not good. But I not need High ISO. I like slow shutter with low ISO.

09-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
I would be happy to buy the K-5 based upon imaginary specs if B&H were to take payment in imaginary dollars.

Barring that, I'll be forced to wait with the rest of us who really should have something better to do to fight global warming or the nanny state but keep coming back here anyway.

I'm pacing myself to four visits a day and feeling very virtuous. Unfortunately, I've already borrowed against the allowed visits through Friday at tea time ....

Last edited by glanglois; 09-08-2010 at 02:05 PM.
09-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that anything beyond the K-7's ISO 800, would look bad or is not good nor usable .

K-7 at ISO 3200 without NR.



K-7 at ISO 3200 with NR.



I believe it comes down to how utilize exposure adjustments. a k-x result would look bad as well at ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 if it were not exposed properly or necessarily enough to mask ISO noise. I'm not debating the fact that the K-7 is noisier than the K20D at High ISO, much so against the k-x. the point is, you will get worse images with any of these cameras if the exposure isn't right.

oh, and the K-7's ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 are useful. anything beyond ISO 3200 is suspect.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-07-2010 at 09:16 PM.
09-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that anything beyond the K-7's ISO 800, would look bad or is not good nor usable .

K-7 at ISO 3200 without NR.



K-7 at ISO 3200 with NR.



I believe it comes down to how utilize exposure adjustments. a k-x result would look bad as well at ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 if it were not exposed properly or necessarily enough to mask ISO noise. I'm not debating the fact that the K-7 is noisier than the K20D at High ISO, much so against the k-x. the point is, you will get worse images with any of these cameras if the exposure isn't right.
Very Interesting. I will try
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #38
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that anything beyond the K-7's ISO 800, would look bad or is not good nor usable .

K-7 at ISO 3200 without NR.



K-7 at ISO 3200 with NR.



I believe it comes down to how utilize exposure adjustments. a k-x result would look bad as well at ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 if it were not exposed properly or necessarily enough to mask ISO noise. I'm not debating the fact that the K-7 is noisier than the K20D at High ISO, much so against the k-x. the point is, you will get worse images with any of these cameras if the exposure isn't right.

oh, and the K-7's ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 are useful. anything beyond ISO 3200 is suspect.


Who is this guy holding a mike? Chicago guy? Notice that he is not singing. The "noise" level was not that high then. Thank God!

09-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #39
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,161
Pentaxor, could you please give details about the exposure settings?
Was it manual/matrix? Any EV comp? I'm curious.

Thank you.
09-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #40
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,697
QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
Are you serious? I think the K7's 800 ISO usable. 1600 is kind of bad. Not sure how can you accept K7's 3200 performance. It is worse than k20d's high ISO performance.
Same here. I use ISO100-1600 in TAv mode on the K20D for daytime sports and find ISO1600 not particularly pleasing. I'll use it if I've have to, but don't enjoy it.

Dan
09-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #41
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Who is this guy holding a mike? Chicago guy? Notice that he is not singing. The "noise" level was not that high then. Thank God!
Yep, that's Peter Cetera. actually its more like a sequence of shots. I think I got one where he's playing the guitar as well. and yeah, he still sounds good after all these years.
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #42
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Pentaxor, could you please give details about the exposure settings?
Was it manual/matrix? Any EV comp? I'm curious.

Thank you.
it's manual, spot.
09-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #43
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Same here. I use ISO100-1600 in TAv mode on the K20D for daytime sports and find ISO1600 not particularly pleasing. I'll use it if I've have to, but don't enjoy it.
I actually had the opportunity to do a little sports coverage with Tav a few weeks back.

Final Cup Racing

K20D, 1/80s, ISO6400, 50mm, f/1.4
09-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #44
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I actually had the opportunity to do a little sports coverage with Tav a few weeks back.

Final Cup Racing

K20D, 1/80s, ISO6400, 50mm, f/1.4
Great action-freezing result there John!
But seriously not bad for top ISO on the K20D and wide-open aperture.
09-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #45
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,697
He cheated! Notice how he focused on the stationary cup rather than the crawling baby. AF-C not up to this speed of subject movement?

Dan
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-5, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soggy Bottom Boat BjornAgain Monthly Photo Contests 0 07-29-2010 03:23 PM
Black & White Bare Bottom tuco Post Your Photos! 2 05-12-2010 03:18 PM
The bottom line about image quality... Gooshin General Talk 49 02-24-2010 08:41 PM
Bottom of the barrel...from China Zav Post Your Photos! 9 09-19-2009 09:19 AM
Crack on bottom sabarrett Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 01-22-2008 10:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top