Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Tamron 70-200mm/2.8 VR is coming!!! I was told

went into a camera store today, I was told by their employee that the Tamron rep had confirmed their new 70-200mm/2.8 VR is coming soon. They were told it would be announced by the Sept. 17th. or so...

09-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May just be canon and nikon mount for the first crop. K mount is usually later.
09-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds pointless to add VC for us... I'd be more interested in a USD version to improve AF. Then it would be totally superior to the sigma.
09-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why is this in general photography? Moved to rumors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #5

Just a word of caution here. I was into Henry's on wednesday to talk about the new Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 lens that I had bought. It works fine. Anyway, the rep told me to tell my friends etc. NOT TO BUY the Tamron 70-200mm lens as they had customers come back with defective lenses. This happened a couple of times. Then they decided to try some new stock on their own cameras i.e. Henry's in stock cameras. Low and behold, the Tamron lenses worked for a couple of days and then started to act up and finally would not work. So it would seem that Tamron has a few bugs to iron out yet, despite having superior optical glass in them. I almost bought one of them, but the ten year Canadian Warranty on the Sigma lens was to hard to resist. If I remember Tamron has a 6 year warranty. For what it is worth - just be cautious when deciding what to buy.
09-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oddie1990 Quote
Just a word of caution here. I was into Henry's on wednesday to talk about the new Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 lens that I had bought. It works fine. Anyway, the rep told me to tell my friends etc. NOT TO BUY the Tamron 70-200mm lens as they had customers come back with defective lenses. This happened a couple of times. Then they decided to try some new stock on their own cameras i.e. Henry's in stock cameras. Low and behold, the Tamron lenses worked for a couple of days and then started to act up and finally would not work. So it would seem that Tamron has a few bugs to iron out yet, despite having superior optical glass in them. I almost bought one of them, but the ten year Canadian Warranty on the Sigma lens was to hard to resist. If I remember Tamron has a 6 year warranty. For what it is worth - just be cautious when deciding what to buy.
Oddie, you can be sure that if there's a QC issue or defect in any lens that can be mounted on a Pentax, it's certainly been discussed many, many times on this forum. :P

Tammy 70-200 issues have been well documented here, as have Sigma 70-200 EX II problems.

As long as Tamron keeps the same optical formula, I'm sure this is gonna be a helluva lens.
09-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Anyway, the rep told me to tell my friends etc. NOT TO BUY the Tamron 70-200mm lens as they had customers come back with defective lenses.
I'm surprised, as dealers rarely bad-mouth products - it's just bad practice.

Love my non-VR version. I have a Sigma with OS but do not use it that way. I like to see how stable I can hold it before popping the shot. With a stabilized lens the image doesn't move noticeably so I can't tell when I am the most steady.

09-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
pdo

I hope Tamron add USD to the 70-200mm.
09-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Don't get to excited Zackspeed (who is in the know) has said that apparently Tamron won't be releasing anything new for the K-mount for the forseeable future.
09-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyway, the rep told me to tell my friends etc. NOT TO BUY the Tamron 70-200mm lens as they had customers come back with defective lenses. This happened a couple of times. For what it is worth - just be cautious when deciding what to buy.
If you're not referring to the well-established sticky aperture problem, or the rarer decentering issues of this lens, then this is all sensational.

The lens is the best in its class, hands down. How's that for a sensational claim?

Last edited by Ash; 09-04-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
09-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're not referring to the well-established sticky aperture problem, or the rarer decentering issues of this lens, then this is all sensational.

The lens is the best in its class, hand down. How's that for a sensational claim?
Give'em heck Ash!
I just happen to love my copy of the Tamron 70-200 too!
09-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The lens is the best in its class, hand down. How's that for a sensational claim?
Not that sensational. It's a helluva lens.
09-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Don't get to excited Zackspeed (who is in the know) has said that apparently Tamron won't be releasing anything new for the K-mount for the forseeable future.
I will ask for this lens.
Maybe i get a answer
09-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
I will ask for this lens.
Maybe i get a answer
Tell Tamron those are idiots (IMO) if they think they will lose money coming out with PK versions of their lenses.
If they did a PK of 200-500, I think it would sell, big time.

Same with their latest 70-300. If it is good, it will sell: VC is a bonus, it has real ultrasonic AF and is FF. Those who don't want to invest in DA lens but want such a zoom will dump 55-300 for it.
09-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

oh i told that long time before....