Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #121

I don't feel good at all when the words "cheap" are coupled with any lens. Mainly because you get what you pay for. Lets just hope they come out with more high quality lens. Though it would be nice if things didn't cost so much, but we've just come to accept that I think.

09-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
What would be interesting would be a 24-120 F4 like Nikon has. I'll bet a 18-125 will be an average quality, slow, 3.5-5.6ish lens.
how about the same range at a straight 2.8? That would interest me quite a bit
09-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
None of them would interest me.

I still hope for DA* 16-50 f/2.8 II and DA* 50-135 f/2.8 II (both with proper SDM implementation) .
those would be good too!
09-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It's not slow. That's thinking form ages ago, from film days, and people still believe that crazy myth for some odd reason. Same as thinking big Cray supercomputer is better because it's bigger than today's iMac, which is better than Cray in every other way than in its size.

Give me "slow" but optically excellent DA40 f2.8 and I'll give you tons of cheap 50mm/1.4 for a swap. Take all of them. It's Canon, Nikon and especially old dog Zeiss who still play that old, boring game for people who haven't changed their thinking yet.

All Pentax primes will be three times faster and three times more valuable on a new body with several extra clear f-stops gained from capable sensor alone. We're just stepped into the territory that shifts digital photography away from film by a second huge step ahead: 1. not just with clearer / more defined image (for those who like that feature), but also 2. super hi-iso capability, unthinkable before. So far with our K20Ds, K-7s, etc. we have had just that first step ahead and thus same need for big, super-fast lenses. Big, prestige glass. Something we can be proud of and gloat about. But with K-x and new toys around .. it changes.

With Pentax now you actually have more better, smaller and capable choices, but many people don't realise that. All this was unthinkable in an old world where f1.4 was a paragon of a good photography. But those extra digital f-stops ahead change our needs and perceptions about lenses too, size of our DSLR equipment, etc. Yet we refuse to see it. There's something romantic about it, I admit. Makes us look like brontosauruses in love. :-)

PS. I know, I know, someone will jump in and say it's also about DoF, not just light gathering. However, optically excellent f2.8 lens will have a far better bohkeh and clarity from start than some mediocre 1.4 lens stepped down, but priced and produced to catch sales only. It's quality, baby, it always shines, even if its small. ;-)

PPS. Hoya got this right, my friend. They bet on future, not on past thinking.
well, being a K10D user, I am certainly hoping I can get a K5 with very solid ISO of 100 through at least 1600 (3200 would make me very happy ).

09-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #125
Veteran Member

I'd like it if some new lenses used SDM... a working SDM.

It seriously sucks how noisy the AF gets on non-SDM lenses. It drives me nuts. I'm venting now....

...but look at Canon and Nikon, they incorporate their Ultrasonic and SWM motors in non-pro lenses (or non-DA* equivalents)
09-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've actually been thinking an 18-125 would be a nice idea--so long as it isn't just the same quality, price, size, weigh,t speed and price of an 18-250.
I suppose it'd have some potential indeed: if there were anything to the rumor: it'd probably make a fairly nice combo with the weathersealing: fewer lens changes when conditions aren't great, and all.

If it's got some combination of being small, maybe a little faster, or better IQ: it'd make a nice walkaround/gap-filling lens in a little kit. Could be a fun range for a beginner or a nice general-purpose companion to a favorite prime and all.

I'd kind of like to see a little budget wide angle prime, myself. The way I use real wides, which isn't much, actually, they mostly need to be small and out of my way till I need them. (A DA 21 is probably somewhere in my future, still a little spendy for the purpose for me, though.) In the meanwhile, the kit zoom at least doesn't weigh anything to mention.