Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 645D video with a Pentax Canada Representative

For those of you speculating endlessly about a full frame sensor, when, if, and if not then .....

It might be instructive to listen to an official from Pentax Canada discuss the 645D. I think that there are several items through out this 15 minute video clip, that help shed some light on the way Hoya approaches the market, technology and how they build and market cameras....... a direct link to the video is here...

09-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
For those of you speculating endlessly about a full frame sensor, when, if, and if not then .....

It might be instructive to listen to an official from Pentax Canada discuss the 645D. I think that there are several items through out this 15 minute video clip, that help shed some light on the way Hoya approaches the market, technology and how they build and market cameras....... a direct link to the video is here...
Good video as you said, but this link is already posted in the Medium Format forum :-)
09-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So what am I missing?

I don't think i saw anything in that that sugested anything with regard to FF Pentax.
09-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In the beginning of the video, the Pentax representative was talking about the sensor, size and density along with the costs. He indicated that the economics prevented them from bringing the 645 to market earlier (with apparently an 18MP sensor). When the sensor price of the 40MP came line with their costing model and marketing model, they were able to build and sell it.

Pentax has their cost models, and when the numbers align, they apparently will produce what they think will sell (at their market price), at an acceptable build cost point. Based on what they have been saying about the 645 for years, they are very patient waiting for their cost model and market prices to align with technology.

So, as they have hinted in the past there will probably be a full frame, but only when the numbers align, not necessary when the users say they need/want it.

09-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Doesn't make Hoya much different than any other business. They produce what they think will make money at the price that the market allows them to charge.

I still don't see any news here.
09-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In the beginning of the video, the Pentax representative was talking about the sensor, size and density along with the costs. He indicated that the economics prevented them from bringing the 645 to market earlier (with apparently an 18MP sensor). When the sensor price of the 40MP came line with their costing model and marketing model, they were able to build and sell it.

Pentax has their cost models, and when the numbers align, they apparently will produce what they think will sell (at their market price), at an acceptable build cost point. Based on what they have been saying about the 645 for years, they are very patient waiting for their cost model and market prices to align with technology.

So, as they have hinted in the past there will probably be a full frame, but only when the numbers align, not necessary when the users say they need/want it.

Different analysis from the FF debate.

With MF, in order to justify the added material costs, support, and entirely new lens array, the investment had to have clear separation from even near-potential FF offerings. 18MP wasn't going to do it. This is a market with small share, but high demand. Therefore high potential profit.

The core of the FF debate differs in that FF competes with commodity-priced APS-sensors that can, and do, share a lens mount. There is very real potential for FF to drop its price points into reach of higher end APS-C, eliminating the APS-C sensor from high margin sales. This will crimp APS-C production, giving more capital to FF, and so the cycle continues.

This will not happen with MF as the sensor size, body size, and legacy lends to a separate market with enormous price differentials.
09-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I still don't see any news here.
But Pentax before Hoya may have put them to market even if no money was to be made. ....

09-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, those two guys were incredibly annoying!

And I'd still buy a 645D in a sec, if I had 10K sitting around. :P
09-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But Pentax before Hoya may have put them to market even if no money was to be made. ....
Ouch!

But it explains a lot, doesn't it? Hoya is giving us some breathing room - just when we need it.
09-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account

you learn something new everyday :)

nice video.

learned something about dust removal.
leave the camera LEVEL and not pointing down when doing the dust (vibration) removal!

interesting discussion on the SAFOX IX+. it seems like the pentax rep (bill?) was hinting that it can AF pretty well on low light, low contrast subjects.
if that's what's going to be in the Kr/K5, excellent. now let's hope pentax has also improved the AFC tracking
09-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
nice video.

learned something about dust removal.
leave the camera LEVEL and not pointing down when doing the dust (vibration) removal!

interesting discussion on the SAFOX IX+. it seems like the pentax rep (bill?) was hinting that it can AF pretty well on low light, low contrast subjects.
if that's what's going to be in the Kr/K5, excellent. now let's hope pentax has also improved the AFC tracking
Well it's using the new AF system which apparently is what the K-5 will inherit.

From what i've been told the new AF module in the k-5 will be f2.8.
09-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

f2.8 is good. is that going to be in the Kr as well? i surely hope so.
09-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice vid. thanks.
"Find some dirt under the tree and focus on it" and " this is too bright, need to find something dark" .
Now, if they only released a firmware upgrade that enabled K7 to focus in total darkness without resorting to the green light.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.
09-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
learned something
Was it just me or did the Penatx rep say that:

FA 645 <=> FA*/DA*
FA* 645 <=> better than FA*/DA*

optical quality?
09-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Was it just me or did the Penatx rep say that:

FA 645 <=> FA*/DA*
FA* 645 <=> better than FA*/DA*

optical quality?
I heard the same. And it seemed that he was indeed referring to optical resolving power of the lenses just like you described.