Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #31
Senior Member
climit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kalamata
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
If that is the coolest feature of the new Pentaxes then call me disappointed.
100% agree.

They say they shall add focus points too. But you don't need them when you center focus! There are so little cases when you need multizone focus and in fact you need no focus points at them either, as long as you you have only basic understanding what you are shooting at. Another whistle and bell.

IMO this is only marketing blah, blah. The new models shall be seriously improved, but this is another story.

09-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #32
Senior Member
climit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kalamata
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Some Compact cameras have a ISO of 6400 and a sync speed of 1/2000th of a second.
Have you seen any K-x iso 6400 image? Please compare it with the compact's respective one, but with a D90's, a D300's and a D700's one too.
09-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
With the D90 coming to an end I am thinking Sony will discontinue the 12 mp sensor used in the KX anyway. So it may not be possible for Pentax to retain the KX in the lineup even if they wanted to.

Pentax I am fairly certain do not move enough units to persuade Sony to keep on making the sensor.
Shouldn't be a problem. Before Sony discontinues the sensor Pentax would get a warning and the opportunity to order all the sensors they will ever need in the future.
09-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #34
Forum Member
Montoya's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
Just so i'm clear on this, there will be no weather sealing on the K-R? I guess I see a K-7 in my immediate future. :-)

09-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Have you seen any K-x iso 6400 image? Please compare it with the compact's respective one, but with a D90's, a D300's and a D700's one too.
I don't think you got the joke.
09-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Some Compact cameras have a ISO of 6400 and a sync speed of 1/2000th of a second.
LX5 has 1/4000 (and ISO12800)
09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #37
Senior Member
SMPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 183
QuoteOriginally posted by Montoya Quote
Just so i'm clear on this, there will be no weather sealing on the K-R? I guess I see a K-7 in my immediate future. :-)
Same. No WR + no grip on Kr = me buying highly discounted K-7.
09-06-2010, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
100% agree.

They say they shall add focus points too. But you don't need them when you center focus! There are so little cases when you need multizone focus and in fact you need no focus points at them either, as long as you you have only basic understanding what you are shooting at. Another whistle and bell.

IMO this is only marketing blah, blah. The new models shall be seriously improved, but this is another story.
I have basic understanding and use center focus quite well when I have but one subject and it's kind enough to stay in one place. Landscapes are particularly good at staying in one place. Buildings, too, but over a shorter time. Gotta keep an eye on them.

Other subjects, perhaps children and aircraft, tend to wander about and I may not want them in the center of the frame for compositional reasons.

Ergo, multiple AF points - with tracking when things go well.

09-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Matjazz's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: EU/Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 774
QuoteOriginally posted by Montoya Quote
Just so i'm clear on this, there will be no weather sealing on the K-R? I guess I see a K-7 in my immediate future. :-)
I think K-r is kind of K200D successor and as such it will have sealing like K200D did.
09-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Kenn100D's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Paranaque City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 646
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
If that is the coolest feature of the new Pentaxes then call me disappointed.
Its like D70 before with AA adapter.
09-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #41
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 83
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I have basic understanding and use center focus quite well when I have but one subject and it's kind enough to stay in one place. Landscapes are particularly good at staying in one place. Buildings, too, but over a shorter time. Gotta keep an eye on them.

Other subjects, perhaps children and aircraft, tend to wander about and I may not want them in the center of the frame for compositional reasons.

Ergo, multiple AF points - with tracking when things go well.
AF focus point indicator and AF tracking are two different things, right? I wish AF-C (AF tracking) could be improved (like the Nikon 3D tracking etc)
09-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member
uccemebug's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Pentax could go to a 4 tier 24 month renewal schedule similar to Nikon.
Tier 1 : D40, D40x, D3000, D3100 Ist* DL, K110, K100, K-m/2000, K-x
Tier 2 : D50, D60, D5000 Ist* DS, K200, K-r
Tier 3 : D70, D80, D90, D7000 Ist* D , K10D, K20D, K-7
Tier 4 : D100, D200, D300s K-5 (the first Pentax camera in this category since MZ-S)
Tier 4.5: D700, D2h,
Tier 5 D2x, D3, D3x,

I just wrote this and noticed something....

If Pentax avoids the direct competition from Nikon then I see a great strategy for growth.
Fine work, Steelski!

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Well, ever since DS I've been waiting for a camera with AA and pentaprism. At it's pricepoint K-r just might have pentaprism.
Same here, Matjazz. I intended on replacing my DS after two years but a significant upgrade with those two points in place never really came....
09-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Have you seen any K-x iso 6400 image? Please compare it with the compact's respective one, but with a D90's, a D300's and a D700's one too.
Awesome how you completely missed the point.
09-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
AF focus point indicator and AF tracking are two different things, right? I wish AF-C (AF tracking) could be improved (like the Nikon 3D tracking etc)
They are indeed. AF indicator tells me if/when AF has chosen a point I'm not happy with.

Tracking reduces the chance of that happening.

The former is, I think, a necessary but not sufficient condition to all my focus inadequacies ...
09-06-2010, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #45
Senior Member
climit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kalamata
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Awesome how you completely missed the point.
Right. Apples and oranges. ROTFL
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, feature, grip, information, insert, k-r, pentax news, pentax rumors, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-X specs o_bender Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 10-09-2009 09:32 AM
k-7 specs?? houstonmacgregor Pentax News and Rumors 11 05-19-2009 05:26 PM
K-7: the specs are known already ogl Pentax News and Rumors 347 05-15-2009 01:16 PM
Specs on MZ-S mr.voigtlander Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 02-08-2008 02:46 PM
GX-20 Specs ricardobeat Pentax News and Rumors 5 01-24-2008 10:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top