Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The novelty of compact size for the DA range of prime lenses wears thin pretty quickly when you realize that there are already f/2.8 zoom lenses
Many of those f/2.8 zooms you described are heavy and compromise image quality at nearly every FL (distortion, corner sharpness, contrast, flare resistance, etc) - if anything the "novelty" of having a small, excellent prime soon becomes an advantage because you aren't having to lug kg's of heavy, constant aperture zooms around.

QuoteQuote:
Having f/2.4 or f/2.8 for a dedicated prime lens just doesn't cut it imo. Where is the speed advantage in terms of maximum aperture?
I know it's going a little off-topic, but you've got a *ton* of primes out there that people use every day that are f/2.8 or slower.

Speed advantage isn't always the biggest concern - a prime like the rumored DA can fulfill a variety of other roles. I'm perfectly fine with a slightly slower lens, lower price, tiny dimensions and *outstanding* image quality at all apertures. You want a 30-35mm f/1.8 or a f/1.4? The 31 Limited and the Sigma 30mm would like a word with you and your bank account.

Edit: And to be perfectly honest, I think Pentax wanted to keep the 31mm Limited on its pedestal. It wouldn't look so great if they introduced a $199 DA-L 30mm f/2 that was 95% of the photo quality at about a fifth of the price.

Last edited by ewalk; 09-08-2010 at 06:26 PM.
09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On paper f2.4 does look like a disappointment among the 35mm1.8's everyone else is churning out. Still, we haven't seen the lens yet, so who knows how good it may be in other areas (though I think the Nikkor 35mm is hard to best).
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I get Beamish stout at the local supermarket but have not enjoyed their porter. One more thing for the trip checklist ..... Thanks!
Stout = porter, at least around here.
09-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #94
Site Supporter

Have fun: http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-r/
The site is not fully accessible tho.

09-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #95
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
Have fun: http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-r/
The site is not fully accessible tho.
Well, it wasn't up for too long. Here's a snap shot if you can't wait till the announcement.
Attached Images

09-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Many of those f/2.8 zooms you described are heavy and compromise image quality at nearly every FL (distortion, corner sharpness, contrast, flare resistance, etc) - if anything the "novelty" of having a small, excellent prime soon becomes an advantage because you aren't having to lug kg's of heavy, constant aperture zooms around.
Well a zoom lens is always going to be bigger, heavier and may not on balance have as good image quality as a prime lens BUT the reality is a large proportion of shooters today do opt for zooms for the convenience. There are a few constant f/2.8 zooms that do give a lens like the DA 40mm a run for the money image quality wise. My argument is if one already have a fast zoom, then buying a prime lens of the same maximum aperture is not going to be much of an improvement aside from the size, weight and slight gain in image quality. What's the point of buying a prime if it can't deliver the often touted advantage of a larger maximum aperture and the associated benefits that comes with it.

I know it's going a little off-topic, but you've got a *ton* of primes out there that people use every day that are f/2.8 or slower.

Speed advantage isn't always the biggest concern - a prime like the rumored DA can fulfill a variety of other roles. I'm perfectly fine with a slightly slower lens, lower price, tiny dimensions and *outstanding* image quality at all apertures. You want a 30-35mm f/1.8 or a f/1.4? The 31 Limited and the Sigma 30mm would like a word with you and your bank account.

Edit: And to be perfectly honest, I think Pentax wanted to keep the 31mm Limited on its pedestal. It wouldn't look so great if they introduced a $199 DA-L 30mm f/2 that was 95% of the photo quality at about a fifth of the price.
Well no lens can deliver outstanding image at all apertures, because there's always the laws of physics to contend with. Having too slow a maximum aperture can be a hindrance in so far as affecting the brightness of the viewfinder, accuracy of the AF, plus as most lenses are sharpest about 2 stops from the maximum aperture, it does have a bearing on the usable apertures for optimum sharpness. Also light fall off at the corners does become an issue.

The FA 31mm will always find a select crowd of users. There is already the FA 35mm f/2 to challenge this lens by cannibalizing sales, so what's the big deal? You get what you pay for. A cheaper and new lens will attract a wider spectrum of users. I avoid Sigma because buying a Sigma is often a hit and miss affair in terms of QC and BF/FF issues and I just don't like the color rendition. Sorry but that's just my experience.
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #97
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No any WR for K-r...? I guess...
09-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
Well, it wasn't up for too long. Here's a snap shot if you can't wait till the announcement.
Arrrg!!! That stuff (choice of many colored bodies) makes me crazy. Completely wasted on me : ( Not on my list of features I was praying for!!!! : )

09-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
Arrrg!!! That stuff (choice of many colored bodies) makes me crazy. Completely wasted on me : ( Not on my list of features I was praying for!!!! : )
It worked for the K-x?
09-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #100
Veteran Member

DA 35mm f/2.4 AL is the new kit prime lens...

09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Not everyone needs a lens faster than f/2? *shrug*

Assuming that the price is right (less than $200) I think it'll still sell very, very well. Especially if it's small and lightweight. A lens doesn't have to have a certain aperture to be a success or a failure. People who post here aren't likely to be the target market for this lens.
The whole point of primes is to have a comparatively small lens with great IQ thats much faster than zooms! You may not need it, but I'd reckon the VAST majority would rather have a 35mm that is not so stinking slow :ugh:

And please, take a look at the Nikon and their 35mm :ugh: If only pentax would have made a similar lens now of course, there is no longer a possibility they will. Looks like the Sigma 30mm F/1.4 is in my future :ugh:

edit: not quite sure how I like the look of the K-r.... it seems to be a mix of the kx and K-7 mushed together.

Last edited by yeatzee; 09-08-2010 at 09:19 PM.
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
The whole point of primes is to have a comparatively small lens with great IQ thats much faster than zooms!

Who decided that?
09-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Who decided that?
Lets hear your oppinion than.
If thats not it, than what is?
09-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #104
Pentaxian

The battery solution seems to be a weird thing, the proprietary battery is so small that I wonder why anyone would want to use it. It seems the AA-solution gives you more than twice the amount of pictures per charge.
09-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
DA 35mm f/2.4 AL is the new kit prime lens...
Isn't that great?! If people gets it very cheap bundled, there is no reason to call it expensive