Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #121
emr

I think that my and many other porters' relative disappointment with the K-r is that it's an incremental improvement over the good entry-level K-x and not one step above it with WR etc. Now, that DA L lens is another story. I know many have wished a cheap lens like that, but judging by the specs I find it really disappointing: plastic mount, cheap build, no included hood etc. The only upside is the low price, but with specs like that it's not so low really IMO. Blah.

09-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I think that my and many other porters' relative disappointment with the K-r is that it's an incremental improvement over the good entry-level K-x and not one step above it with WR etc. Now, that DA L lens is another story. I know many have wished a cheap lens like that, but judging by the specs I find it really disappointing: plastic mount, cheap build, no included hood etc. The only upside is the low price, but with specs like that it's not so low really IMO. Blah.
I'm still disappointed that it isn't WR, but I'm reserving really complaining until we see the image quality. It expect that it'll significantly surpass Nikon's compromise-ridden 35mm f/1.8. If it doesn't, complaining is justified, and people should be pointed to Mike Johnston's post on the topic.

Also, c'mon, look at the pretty colors!
09-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #123
Veteran Member

I believe the K-r will outperform the coming K-5 when it comes to high ISO.
I say this because I believe the K-r is actually in many ways the same sensor as the 16Mp sensor in the coming K-5 - same technology used. But since the K-r has fewer Mp's it will outperform the K-5 at high ISO. K-r will - my prediction - be the new high ISO champion and outperform any other APS-C camera at ISO 3200 - 12 800.

But the K-5 will still have better high ISO performance than the K-7 and will be competetive against Sony's new DSLR's.
09-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes but at 35mm the DoF is actually deeper. DoF is relative to the physical aperture size thus a 35mm f/2 has about the same DoF as a 50mm f/2.8.
I know, but still, f/2.8 on a 35mm on APS-C gives shallower DoF than you really want for many subjects (e.g. typical available light family shots of a group of people where only one of them will be in focus...). The newbies the 35/2.4 are meant for, will have more luck shooting at f/2.4 than at f/2 or faster.

09-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I really don't see what's so wrong with F2.4.

I rarely go below F2 on my FA50 1.4 and yeah Tanner aka Yeatzhee will totally disagree with me on this one!

But the FA50 1.4 is at a particular price point and so is the DAL35.

Let's just see how it performs in the real world whne it's available!

Im waiting for a facebook response!

(and its yeatzee not yeatzhee )
09-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Stout = porter, at least around here.
Ah, that explains it. Someone else asked me about that this week. Here, porter and stout tend to be quite different. Porter was originally, the English say, a blend of an old ale and a mild. Here it tends to be a bit flatter and sweeter, with somewhat less roasted flavour, than stout.

But there is often little adherence to style and an overuse, IMHO, of the label "Imperial". It seems to be any US beer that claims to be unique and/or have higher alcohol or a stronger taste or wants to command a higher retail price.

Most porters in the US are brewed here with the exception of Fuller's London Porter. US porters, at least the few I've had, are not as "bright" and lively as Guinness or Beamish or Murphy's.

I suspect one of those is the drink of the Unionists but I cannot keep that straight.

Now .... we return to our scheduled program .....
09-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I really don't see what's so wrong with F2.4.

I rarely go below F2 on my FA50 1.4 and yeah Tanner aka Yeatzhee will totally disagree with me on this one!

But the FA50 1.4 is at a particular price point and so is the DAL35.

Let's just see how it performs in the real world when it's available!
Very good summary, Christopher. Even (or especially) after the announcement, the tribe (I'll include myself to be tactful) continues to draw conclusions on speculations.

Reminds me of the same old sport conversations down to the pub.
09-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #128
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I know, but still, f/2.8 on a 35mm on APS-C gives shallower DoF than you really want for many subjects (e.g. typical available light family shots of a group of people where only one of them will be in focus...). The newbies the 35/2.4 are meant for, will have more luck shooting at f/2.4 than at f/2 or faster.
Now that's just far too sensible for this thread!

09-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Wont that be annoying? Save megapixel count for the newbie cameras, they care about that, while the pro's care about performance more.

Should stuff a 16mp into the Kr and put the 12 into the k5. win win
09-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I say this because I believe the K-r is actually in many ways the same sensor as the 16Mp sensor in the coming K-5 - same technology used. But since the K-r has fewer Mp's it will outperform the K-5 at high ISO. K-r will - my prediction - be the new high ISO champion and outperform any other APS-C camera at ISO 3200 - 12 800.
If that is true, I expect the K0-5 to be relaesed ahead of the better K-r

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I do not understand all the nay sayings about the new DAL 35/2.4.
I dont care about the plastic mount, the way technology goes a good plastic mount can be just as usefull than a metal one. Plastic body? Same thing. But I have a wishlist for a future Pentax prime:
- wider than 35mm (I have both 31 and 35, 31 is my fav, I had the 35 as a ack up for when I considered the conditions a bit too 31-unfriendly (wild parties etc) andfor that use 35 is too long, I just do;t like the FOV.
-faster than f2, f2 has proven too slow for me, now if the lowlight performandce at high ISO of the new camera gives me the same possibilities at f2.4 s the K20D gives me at f.18 and ISO400, of 800 I may withdraw this wish
-sealed, what use is a lens if it can't stand the rain?
09-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #131
ogl
Pentaxian

Yury Buhvalov about K-r (checked already with firmware 0.2)
K-r вышла - Форумы Пента-клуба

The camera is very FAST and shutter is very smooth.
09-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #132
Site Supporter

ogl,

any mention of AF in video mode?

tnx
jordan
09-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The newbies the 35/2.4 are meant for, will have more luck shooting at f/2.4 than at f/2 or faster.
I'm getting a bit annoyed by all the condescending "newbie" comments. When I first got my 50mm f/1.4 I was also a newbie and I made mistakes but making mistakes is part of the learning process.
09-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Ah, that explains it. Someone else asked me about that this week. Here, porter and stout tend to be quite different. Porter was originally, the English say, a blend of an old ale and a mild. Here it tends to be a bit flatter and sweeter, with somewhat less roasted flavour, than stout.
But neither let in much light and are terrible at higher ISOs. Images become quite unstable.
09-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #135
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Stout was originally called stout porter, and is a type of porter. Both are made with ale yeast, unless it's Pennsylvania porter, in which case lager yeast is used. [e.g., Yuengling and Stegmaier].