Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
They are indeed. AF indicator tells me if/when AF has chosen a point I'm not happy with.

Tracking reduces the chance of that happening.

The former is, I think, a necessary but not sufficient condition to all my focus inadequacies ...
If you are not sure what your camera is going to focus at when you press the button, you have missed the chance to capture the moving subject. What do you need of an error confirmation then? Either you understand the contrast of the scene or not. Sorry.

In fact there are cases you really need multipoint focusing (and no confirmation) in landscape type themes. But this is advanced material.

Regards

09-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax is clearly listening to their customers!

The most complained about aspects of the Kx were, Focus points and Battery.

These in fact were the only two 'negatives' the Kx had really...

I totally disagree with them being problems at all however. As a result I wouldn't bother switching from a kx to a kr.

So next time your complaining keep that in mind and complain about it only having one dial and no top lcd instead and we could have gotten something actually useful on the kr :P
09-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

When Adam says something like:

QuoteQuote:
We have received the following information regarding the K-r:
you can be assured that this is an official unofficial leak - if you get my drift. Adam is not going to jeopardize PentaxForums by putting his personal stamp on anything that is questionable. All this leak sympathy for a company(hoya) that is manipulating us to create more buzz seems misplaced, but its your emotion, not mine.

The second indicator this is an official sort of leak is the trite nature of it, although i do like the flexibility of being able to use different batteries.

2 features i care more about is a plug-in for a shutter cable and adjustable focus for up to 10 AF lenses. The latter seems like a zero cost addition since Pentax has had the programming since K20, so why not make our cameras easier to use and easier to keep out of the repair shop. I would think that kind of feature would score points with reviewers.

With my Canon PS, it irritated me to realize that the mfr needlessly crippled some features to encourage folks to upgrade. Pentax on the other hand, has had a reputation of value for the money, and pointless crippling of features is something they would be better off avoiding, IMO.
09-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
When Adam says something like:

With my Canon PS, it irritated me to realize that the mfr needlessly crippled some features to encourage folks to upgrade. Pentax on the other hand, has had a reputation of value for the money, and pointless crippling of features is something they would be better off avoiding, IMO.
Coudn't agree more. I mean if you only have two models, it would make sense that both would tick as many checkboxes as 3 - 4 models of the competition.

Now if they can lower the lens prices back... no wait... there was a reason why Hoya was posting a profit....

09-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #50
Veteran Member

As Adam has now Edited the original post to hide some of the facts that could lead to the identity of the source....
Its true,

So, What do we have?
There is a teatering between 14MP and 12MP.
One is a good sensor at High ISO, the other is good everywhere. I would prefer the 14MP.
Can I get a conformation that its the 14MP.????
If its the 12MP its limited to 720p, which will be a joke compared to the Canon and Nikon equivalents.
it has to be the 14MP. with 1080p.
New 3 inch 920dot screen
New battery choice.
viewfinder overlay
New AF system, Safox 9?
6FPS.
ISO 100-12800

This is about as accurate as anyone who knows nothing can go.... (me)
Although if it really is 6fps then we could go in the direction of a K200D
09-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #51

hdmi and mic sockets?
09-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
hdmi and mic sockets?
I'd expect HDMI but not necessarily mic sockets - it needs some distinguishing from the K-7

09-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We have received the following information regarding the K-r:

So, from this, we can take that the K-r will have the following:
  • Native rechargeable battery support as well as optional insert for AA batteries
  • Focusing points in viewfinder
what happened to the other specs?

battery insert for AA's would be wonderful!.
hopefully Pentax will sell the inserts so one can have AA "packs" ready to use. beats inserting 4 batteries at a time
09-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK changing batteries is the only drawback left for AA. So AA battery insert (like some flashes have) leaves no reason to use proprietary batteries. I hope inserts won't be any pricier than say those for Metz 45 series (13€)
09-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
If you are not sure what your camera is going to focus at when you press the button, you have missed the chance to capture the moving subject. What do you need of an error confirmation then? Either you understand the contrast of the scene or not. Sorry.

In fact there are cases you really need multipoint focusing (and no confirmation) in landscape type themes. But this is advanced material.

Regards
It appears I need to think this through again.

Either I have a poor understanding of what happens when I try to shoot the twins (age 2 and not often still) or else I'm explaining myself poorly.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
09-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #56
Inactive Account

It seems like the K-r is going to be a K-x technologically (sensor and hardware) with some juiced up enhancements to its power and viewfinder.

Is it safe to get our hopes up that the K-x will benefit from any joint investment in k-x/r firmware development?
09-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #57

HI folks just back from Singapore where I purchased 3 more PENTAX lenses I personally think I am more into photography than a lot of forum readers as I go out and shoot all and only Pentax more than just talk IF YOURE GONNA SHOOT SHOOT DONT TALK.It seems appropiate. IAN
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I don't like the battery / AA inserts at all. It's one more thing to be dependent on.

How useful is being able to use AA cells if you break / lose your insert? And because it's particular to this model, will be super hard to find spare ones to buy.

Stupid idea.
09-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #59

I noticed that the sensors for the KR and K-x are both 12MP. This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be more? If not, then the sensors are almost identical and the only improvements are in the camera itself. This being the case, it would make more sense for someone to buy a K7 than a KR. On Amazon, the price for a K7 (body only) is $869. That's practically identical to $875 MSRP, less a lens, but lenses aren't that expensive. In addition, you'd get an additional 2MP instead of the same 12MP as it's predecessor. And when you consider who the entry level DSLRs are marketed towards, the soon-to-be-obsolete K7 would prove to be the better choice. In my opinion, K-x users shouldn't upgrade to the KR, they would be better off with a K7.
09-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #60
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by B.Rosenfeld Quote
I noticed that the sensors for the KR and K-x are both 12MP. This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be more? If not, then the sensors are almost identical and the only improvements are in the camera itself. This being the case, it would make more sense for someone to buy a K7 than a KR. On Amazon, the price for a K7 (body only) is $869. That's practically identical to $875 MSRP, less a lens, but lenses aren't that expensive. In addition, you'd get an additional 2MP instead of the same 12MP as it's predecessor. And when you consider who the entry level DSLRs are marketed towards, the soon-to-be-obsolete K7 would prove to be the better choice. In my opinion, K-x users shouldn't upgrade to the KR, they would be better off with a K7.
Keep in mind that there's more to a sensor than its resolution. If the K-r's sensor will have improved FPS and noise control over its predecessor, then it would be a much bigger step up than, say, just a 15-megapixel sensor with worse noise control as a side-effect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: