Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another "new lens assumption" thread

So, assuming that the cheap L prime(s) rumored to come out ACTUALLY come out, what is the best course of action for someone starting to do small, word-of-mouth, paying gigs? I am by no means a pro, but I also don't want to produce images that someone looks at and says "yeah...........that's.....mmm, nice". So, in your opinion, will the lenses produce a decent image quality that is up to the standard of Pentax's (with a few exceptions) past production? If so, at the alleged price point, is there any reason not to buy right at release? Or......would it be better to hope that FA owners decide to try the new ones and liquidate some of their similar lenses (35/2, in particular).

Sorry, a lot of assuming, and open ended questions, but I was looking on eBay, and trying to figure out if it's worth it to wait until the news comes out.

09-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
So, assuming that the cheap L prime(s) rumored to come out ACTUALLY come out, what is the best course of action for someone starting to do small, word-of-mouth, paying gigs? I am by no means a pro, but I also don't want to produce images that someone looks at and says "yeah...........that's.....mmm, nice". So, in your opinion, will the lenses produce a decent image quality that is up to the standard of Pentax's (with a few exceptions) past production? If so, at the alleged price point, is there any reason not to buy right at release? Or......would it be better to hope that FA owners decide to try the new ones and liquidate some of their similar lenses (35/2, in particular).

Sorry, a lot of assuming, and open ended questions, but I was looking on eBay, and trying to figure out if it's worth it to wait until the news comes out.
It's going to be two weeks. Probably worth the wait in my opinion. After that, the reviews will hit quickly and you'll have insight into what the professional reviewers think of the lens
09-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pssst... It Ain't What You Might Think, Baby!

...what is the best course of action for someone starting to do small, word-of-mouth, paying gigs? I am by no means a pro, but I also don't want to produce images that someone looks at and says "yeah...........that's.....mmm, nice".....
Don't waste your time, energy and money buying more stuff at this time. Instead, get a copy of LR3.2 and David duChemins's book, Vision and Voice.

Once you master the "vision & voice" thing and are technically proficient with your current kit... Start to think about upgrading... next year, maybe. By that time there will be a gazillion more and better choices. You will know the answer to your question and you will get what you need to leave the rest of us coughing in your dust.

...my 2 cents...
09-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You won't know what you've gained from waiting until .... ummm .... you're done waiting.

Hang on a bit - it's hard to see what you'd lose by putting the decision off a week or three. Deep breath, now. We'll all exercising patience together, my friend.

09-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
You won't know what you've gained from waiting until .... ummm .... you're done waiting.

Hang on a bit - it's hard to see what you'd lose by putting the decision off a week or three. Deep breath, now. We'll all exercising patience together, my friend.
Yeah, it's just an itch. I'm just not happy with the kit, and my M 50/1.7 just leaves it in the dust.

I do have LR3.2. I'm still trying to get "my style" out of it. I've mainly been doing trial and error, one slider at a time, to see exactly how they effect photos. I'll pick up that book and go from there. Thanks for the advice, and additionally thanks for being my LBA sponsor.
09-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything has a purpose. The kit lens(es) are able to do things that the 50/f1.7 can not do. The 50 too, is somewhat single purpose in its fixed focal length, and is able to perform at a much higher level than the kit lens. So, a lot of the experience you need to gain, is how to apply the tools that you have, and even in a pinch, use what you have to fulfill the task at hand. Photography is at best an exercise in compromises.

Also, its very difficult to be a generalist - being good at everything (and having the equipment to support everything). It might be better to at least start out with some sort of focus in an area in photography that appeals to you. As you gain experience and understanding, along with the ability to solve various technical problems with your current set of tools, you will develop an understanding of where you need additional equipment support.

Just remember, you can go broke very quickly in photography buying everything that you think you need.

09-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am by no means a pro, but I also don't want to produce images that someone looks at and says "yeah...........that's.....mmm, nice". So, in your opinion, will the lenses produce a decent image quality that is up to the standard of Pentax's
Everyone like to produce images that are good. Trust me - it has nothing to do with your camera or lenses. Specialized and fast lenses gives you the opportunity to take _different_ images, but not necessarily good images.

Same thing with 24x36mm and aps-c. I have _never_ seen a picture where I after careful studying can say anything about which camera or lens this picture was created with. Can you? Take a look at pictures in magazines and try to figure out which camera or lens was used. It's impossible.