Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
What is happening to the black lines in the hours indicators of that watch???
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That's just the effects of noise
Maybe indication of in-camera RAW denoising?! Or stronger AA filter.

Last edited by BRunner; 09-08-2010 at 03:08 AM.
09-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BRunner Quote
Maybe indication of in-camera RAW denoising?! Or stronger AA filter.
More likely the studio setup was changed between the sessions. For instance black board to minimize reflections was moved to another spot. Those hour lines should be all-silver, the black is a reflection.

Nothing to see here, move on!
09-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #63
Forum Member

Ok, thank you, didn't get it's a reflection, thought they were black lines, sorry
09-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #64
Veteran Member

If the half stop on the sony is correct then iso 1600 is iso 2400, 3200 ->4800 , 6400 ->9600, 12800 -> 19200, 25600 -> 38400

Increasing alot in the end 25600 should look just slightly worse than the 12800 on the translucent mirror camera

09-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhermans Quote
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still curious about the effects of the 1/3 light loss. If the camera acts like it is using an iso100 the sensor must be doing an extra effort to get there, what would mean that it is going at iso166.
So at 12.8K ISO it is really pushing the limit at 19.2K ISO what is simply stunning.
We won't know what the k5 will do, or even if it's the same sensor but I'm getting pretty interrested.
the DPReview tests "brightness match" the samples up to +- 6 EV. So it depends on how Sony exposes with Translucent cameras, they could be amping up the ISO or increasing shutter time a 1/3 EV. I believe its the latter because the NEX-5 has no mirror at all and the results are very similar.
09-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
the DPReview tests "brightness match" the samples up to +- 6 EV. So it depends on how Sony exposes with Translucent cameras, they could be amping up the ISO or increasing shutter time a 1/3 EV. I believe its the latter because the NEX-5 has no mirror at all and the results are very similar.
They are adding gain to at the sensor level. I think some of the staff at DPreview confirmed this. They said it was almost exactly 1/2 a stop of light loss as a result. I measure it slightly more.
09-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
They are adding gain to at the sensor level. I think some of the staff at DPreview confirmed this. They said it was almost exactly 1/2 a stop of light loss as a result. I measure it slightly more.
that would be amazing if true. that would mean the 16mp sensor in the A55 would have better ISO than the 14mp sensor in the mirrorless NEX-5. bears confirming.
09-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #68

DPReview updated their Sony SLT-A55 review today with RAW data. If this is indeed the same 16.2MP sensor that will go into the upcoming K-5, it looks like it may be another case of a lower model (K-r) having better ISO than its more expensive, higher-resolution sister model (but much slighter this time).

It seems the 16.2MP Sony sensor has slightly more RAW noise than its sister 14MP sensor rumored to be in the K-r. Even more annoying is that they both seem to have worse RAW noise than the even higher-resolution 18MP Canon sensor (with a slightly smaller sensor dimension no less)

On the positive side, it looks like both Sony sensors have good dynamic range (9 stops), slightly bettering the Canon.

High ISO: Sony SLT-A55 Review: 9. Noise and Noise Reduction: Digital Photography Review

Dynamic Range: Sony SLT-A55 Review: 11. Dynamic Range: Digital Photography Review

RAW: Sony SLT-A55 Review: 17. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review
I just hope that both KR and K5 are as good at high ISO as my KX is

09-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #69

it's definitely no better. I've had mine since it came out and "exposing to the right" is an absolute MUST at high-ISO, whereas with my old K20D i harldy ever had to think about it. I have to *work*, either at the time of the shot or in post, to get my K-7 files to look as good as my K20D files.

regardless, and again, the K-7 narrative on the review sites (and camera stores) is what really matters to the market as a whole. not our individual experiences with it (unfortunately).
Not that it matters, this thread is old, but for the record:

Most of the time I'm using +1/3 - +2/3 on my K20D.
Most of my Pentax mates does the same, except for those who has moved on to K-7, they don't.
09-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Not that it matters, this thread is old, but for the record:

Most of the time I'm using +1/3 - +2/3 on my K20D.
Most of my Pentax mates does the same, except for those who has moved on to K-7, they don't.
I too, and I'd add that besides the bias the K7 may have (or not), it is VERY consistent and, for me, it was NEVER caught with a picture unacceptably under or overexposed. My K10 did, and did a lot with flash.
09-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #71
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Note: The A55's noise performance may be affected by the use of the translucent mirror, which diverts part of the light gathered to the autofocus system. So the K-5's noise performance should be better than shown here.
That's a fair assumption. The ghosting analysis shows the flaws to the pellicle design. Sure you get shooting speed and fast AF in live-view, but I don't know if I could live with the high-contrast ghosting that occurs. Who knows what other effect the mirror is having as the light passes THRU it!? Personally, I prefer the traditional swinging mirror design.
09-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #72

Yep thibs. You nailed it. Consistent underexposure is easy to fix. Lack of it is not. And you confirm my impression of K-7.