Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have trouble believing the 35mm f2.4 rumor, as that's quite slow sounding compared to the competition on the market (f2.1 would be more believable). Plus there really wouldn't be much going for it besides price over the DA35 Ltd (and it's not like the DA35 is outrageously expensive). I can understand Pentax not wanting to undercut the FA Ltd 31, but does that mean we're never to see another fast prime in the 28-35mm range? (It it was I, I'd pursue a 26mm f1.8 as the best fit into the lineup.) As to the given specks, well the size would be the same as the FA35, and the MFD is the same, and it's about 50g lighter (about the same weight as the DA70), which I suppose is possible with the metal removed and likely smaller elements. I will say this, if it really is f2.4, I would expect the lens to be one that does very well numerically in terms of sharpness.

09-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I can understand Pentax not wanting to undercut the FA Ltd 31, but does that mean we're never to see another fast prime in the 28-35mm range?
The FA 35mm f/2 has always been available against the 31mm ltd. It's 95% as good at less than half the price. That didn't prevent people wanting the additional 5% IQ...

QuoteOriginally posted by zman:
Hope it has the top LCD though
Forget about it, the top LCD has no place anymore on entry level bodies. The back LCD is now more than good enough to replace it, I don't miss it on my K-x. I prefer to have it but it's far from a deal breaker. On the K100D/K10D/K20D cameras it was necessary because the back LCD wasn't displaying exposure in live like the newer cameras do.
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The FA 35mm f/2 has always been available against the 31mm ltd. It's 95% as good at less than half the price. That didn't prevent people wanting the additional 5% IQ...
You also have to consider how usable it will be wide open and whether or not it will support quickshit focusing
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
You also have to consider how usable it will be wide open and whether or not it will support quickshit focusing
DA-L means no quick-shift, IMHO. And whether it's f/2.1 or f/2.4, it *better* be tack sharp from wide-open.

09-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I was hoping for a more capable camera and willing to look at USD $100-$150 more.

If the above is true, it means that my predictions of continued K-X availability are very, very wrong. Not enough difference in specs or price to find a home for the K-X.

We'll have to see about visible AF points, improved noise management, video improvements, and the special "fine dining" mode that makes a Big Mac look like it's worth at least one half a Michelin star.

Is this the D3100 competitor?
09-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #36
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be the odd man out and say that I'm interested in a 35 F2.4. I'm ready to jump back into AF primes (sold my 50 because it was too wide) and I don't have a big pocket. I could get the 35 for less than a used 28. Of course we'll need to see about IQ but 2.4 would be fine with me and as light as it is, plastic wouldn't be a show stopper and I rarely use quick shift.
09-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'll be the odd man out and say that I'm interested in a 35 F2.4.
From my point of view: f/2.4 and weathersealed, sold.

09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
From my point of view: f/2.4 and weathersealed, sold.
It won't be WR.
09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
It won't be WR.
Shame.

That being said, if it's around the rumored $199 price-point and significantly smaller and lighter than my Sigma 30mm, I'm buying it as soon as it's available.
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
It won't be WR.
I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think it'll *hurt* to have another lens in the lineup: more is good! But I've already got the DA 40mm Limited; going slightly wider isn't something I really need. But if I had a weather-sealed normal, well, the 40mm might come off my camera more often, given the weather around here.
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
Inactive Account

I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think it'll *hurt* to have another lens in the lineup: more is good! But I've already got the DA 40mm Limited; going slightly wider isn't something I really need. But if I had a weather-sealed normal, well, the 40mm might come off my camera more often, given the weather around here.
Oh, I understand the desire and reasoning behind it. And it would be great. However, I think everyone is correct in the thought that Pentax will need to create more competatively priced primes to continue to draw people over with the Kx and Kr.
09-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Given that it has a plastic lens mount - I really don't have much high expectation of this budget prime.