Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #151
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,407
To me these specs sound really good. Eagerly waiting pictures taken with this camera!

09-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #152
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
Dear Pentax,

Are you telling me that you fixed all of the shortcomings of the awesome K-x - AF viewpoints, Li-Ion battery, AF assist light - while adding an extra stop of ISO?

Are you telling me that you now have a cheap and cheerful DA35 that's nearly a half stop faster than my DA40 Limited?

Are you telling me that you now have an entry/mid level camera and lens that's possibly 1.5 stops better in low light than the already excellent K-x? Can I now take pictures of black cats at night?

Thank you.
09-09-2010, 05:14 AM - 3 Likes   #153
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 843
The new K-r is clearly a solid and well thought-out photographers camera. Instead of making some sort of hybrid DSLR with advanced video - Pentax choosed to make an entry camera for aspiring photographers.

The new version of the 12.4 sensor promises the best high ISO performance in it's class. The negative comments about "only 12Mp" is funny. I have seen many postings about the K-7 needed to have the 12Mp sensor and not the 14Mp because of the 12Mp performing better at high ISO, and now the complaints about "only 12Mp"...
The K-r has even better high ISO performance than the K-x had, and the K-x was best in class. Sure Pentax could have opted for a 14Mp sensor like the new competition, but Pentax listened to the customers that shouted "we want better high ISO, we want better high ISO" so they wanted to deliver the best high ISO performance money can buy instead of playing the most Mp game.

The improved autofocus must be seen as positive, and you folks got the separate AF assist lamp that you wanted so much.

Faster fps and with larger buffer.
AF adjustment.
A clever solution to the "I like AA" and "I hate AA"-solution. Now everyone will be happy.

Yeah, lot of improvements here and there. A solid and well constructed beginners camera with concentration on image quality and photographic usefullness.

Funny is the negative comments about the DA L 35.
You complained about Pentax lenses being too expensive compared to the plastic lenses from the competition. You said you didn't wanted the build quality of the DA Limiteds. That Pentax should lower their prices. Well, to lower the prices Pentax had to release full plastic lens without quick-shift focus and without distance info - just like the all plastic lenses from the competition. And now when Pentax has done just that, you complain about the new DA L 35 being all plastic and not metal and without distance info markings...

You want full metal lenses for free...

If the DA L 35 has similar optical formula as the FA 35 f/2, then it will be a great lens!

You talk a lot about technical specifications here, but nothing about *performance*.
Some buys equipment after how well they perform in the technical specification list, others buys equipment after how well they perform in real life, out in the field. Pentax has by tradition always concentrated on the latter.
09-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #154
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The new K-r is clearly a solid and well thought-out photographers camera. Instead of making some sort of hybrid DSLR with advanced video - Pentax choosed to make an entry camera for aspiring photographers.

The new version of the 12.4 sensor promises the best high ISO performance in it's class. The negative comments about "only 12Mp" is funny. I have seen many postings about the K-7 needed to have the 12Mp sensor and not the 14Mp because of the 12Mp performing better at high ISO, and now the complaints about "only 12Mp"...
The K-r has even better high ISO performance than the K-x had, and the K-x was best in class. Sure Pentax could have opted for a 14Mp sensor like the new competition, but Pentax listened to the customers that shouted "we want better high ISO, we want better high ISO" so they wanted to deliver the best high ISO performance money can buy instead of playing the most Mp game.

The improved autofocus must be seen as positive, and you folks got the separate AF assist lamp that you wanted so much.

Faster fps and with larger buffer.
AF adjustment.
A clever solution to the "I like AA" and "I hate AA"-solution. Now everyone will be happy.

Yeah, lot of improvements here and there. A solid and well constructed beginners camera with concentration on image quality and photographic usefullness.

Funny is the negative comments about the DA L 35.
You complained about Pentax lenses being too expensive compared to the plastic lenses from the competition. You said you didn't wanted the build quality of the DA Limiteds. That Pentax should lower their prices. Well, to lower the prices Pentax had to release full plastic lens without quick-shift focus and without distance info - just like the all plastic lenses from the competition. And now when Pentax has done just that, you complain about the new DA L 35 being all plastic and not metal and without distance info markings...

You want full metal lenses for free...

If the DA L 35 has similar optical formula as the FA 35 f/2, then it will be a great lens!

You talk a lot about technical specifications here, but nothing about *performance*.
Some buys equipment after how well they perform in the technical specification list, others buys equipment after how well they perform in real life, out in the field. Pentax has by tradition always concentrated on the latter.
+++100, even I couldn't say better.

09-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #155
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
The more I think about it, the more I like this K-r.

For me most important improvements orded on my feeling are:
  1. The (larger) high resolution LCD
  2. Assist beam for focus in low light conditions
  3. New 12 MP sensor supporting 6 fps
  4. Focus confirmation in view finder
  5. Usable Live view mode (for "P&S" moments...)
  6. Interval / Time elapse functionality (tripod experiment)
  7. 4 AA batery AND rechargeable Lithium Ion (just taking away a maybe unneeded concern)
  8. Auto focus adjustments for camera (not (yet) per lens
Where 1-2 alone already easily add 100-150 USD of value and others are great features to have on-board. Of course to gain even more market share, after phase of the K-x, the price will have to drop to / close to the current K-x prices level.
For Japan users the IrSimple might also be(come) a big gadget thing and triggering two camera's at the same time with 1 infra-red remote control might enable 3D-hype... (in the future they also might want to add GPS)

Pentax has to leave things for the flagship, but maybe not all (if they want to compete against the Nikon & Canon entry level DSLR, the new Sony's and m43 knocking on the door of the same price segment):
  1. 16-segment metering (little out dated, even for entry level DSLR)
  2. Built-in mono mic, no connection for external stereo mic (would have been nice, but not crucial for me)
  3. 1280 x 720, 24/25fps (no Full HD, nor higher frame rates and low resolution, would have been nice, but not crucial for me)
  4. 96% OVF (100% would have resulted in larger body and higher price, see K-5 Pro model)
  5. No Weather resistance (see K-5 Pro model)
  6. Level indicator & corrector (see K-5 Pro model)
  7. Rotation correction as part of in-body stability correction (requires larger frame around sensor, see K-5 Pro model)
The video specs might harm sales, but I am more "concerned" about the impact of out dated metering and efficiency of in-body stability correction.
  • The Nikon and Canon kit lenses have pretty efficient in-lens stabilization
09-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #156
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
You want full metal lenses for free...
Come on, this is not true at all. A DA-L 35mm f/1.8 would have been good, up to par with the competition. At f/2.4 it's just useless. Sony, Canon, Nikon, Oly, Panasonic and even Samsung all have better options. And then Pentax think f/2.4 will cut it in this market? But it's available in a lot of colors you know...

The 35mm f/2.4 is only good for starved Pentaxians when all their options are the ultra expensive 31mm Ltd, the gone FA 35mm f/2 or the slow DA 35mm ltd and DA 40mm Ltd.
09-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #157
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The new version of the 12.4 sensor promises the best high ISO performance in it's class. The negative comments about "only 12Mp" is funny. I have seen many postings about the K-7 needed to have the 12Mp sensor and not the 14Mp because of the 12Mp performing better at high ISO, and now the complaints about "only 12Mp"...
+1, 12 Mp is more than sufficient, same holds for 720p

And next to Assist beam for low light focus also new LCD is great.

Probably impact of "out dated" metering is limitted

So my only technical concern (compare to Nikon/Canon entry level DSLR) is efficiency of scaled down in-body stabilization, but what the heck, you can re-use it on all lenses for free and the K-7 is too big for me, so in that way it is already better than Nikon/Canon and if High ISO performance even improved of the K-x then I have actually nothing to be concerned about at all.

I will buy one, but see what the prices will do in coming ~2-3 months, maybe I even get a K-x first .
- But if customers only talk about prices then the products are good!!!
09-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #158
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The 35mm f/2.4 is only good for starved Pentaxians when all their options are the ultra expensive 31mm Ltd, the gone FA 35mm f/2 or the slow DA 35mm ltd and DA 40mm Ltd.
And what about all the M and K 35/3.5 owners?
Are you now going to try and pretend they wouldn't benefit from a low cost AF alternative?

09-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #159
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And what about all the M and K 35/3.5 owners?
Are you now going to try and pretend they wouldn't benefit from a low cost AF alternative?
Yes sure, as long as they stay with Pentax... /sarcasm.
09-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #160
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And what about all the M and K 35/3.5 owners?
Are you now going to try and pretend they wouldn't benefit from a low cost AF alternative?
I expect a lot of gadget K-x owners don't have multiple limited primes...
- So I think plastic is a good move, unfortunately because of that they could not make it much smaller
09-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #161
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,247
Original Poster
Pentax made photocamera, not video. It's cool!

09-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #162
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,247
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
  1. 16-segment metering (little out dated, even for entry level DSLR)
    works fine
  2. Built-in mono mic, no connection for external stereo mic (would have been nice, but not crucial for me)
  3. 1280 x 720, 24/25fps (no Full HD, nor higher frame rates and low resolution, would have been nice, but not crucial for me)
    It's DSLR, not video camera
Not important
09-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #163
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Not important
I can imagine (wrt meteting) and on video I already agreed, but don't know about average customer, e.g. coming for P&S with Full HD...

So not worse High ISO performance than K-x and as efficient in-body stabilization as possible given compactness of K-r.
- How much bigger is K-r actually compared to K-x (to support 3" LCD), any side by side pictures?
- Will they have K-r tomorrow in Bic Camera an Nagoya station (I live in Japan)?
09-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #164
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 318
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes sure, as long as they stay with Pentax... /sarcasm.
You evidently don't like the lens. That's fine - no one is forcing you to buy it. And contrary to popular belief, an aperture slower than f/2 *isn't* useless at all - I've got a sneaking suspicion that this new 35mm is sharp across the frame at f/2.4. Do the other manufacturers have faster lenses? Sure. Does that make this new lens any less useful? Not really - it'll still take damn fine pictures, especially for individuals who were reluctant to buy a prime at a higher price. A launch price of $219 could very well translate to under $180 over the next couple of months. Basic users who before stuck only to their kit lenses or dual zoom kits might be willing to give this new lens a try. I think it'll do just fine, sales-wise.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax made photocamera, not video. It's cool!
Wow, those high-ISO samples are something else. That's a *very* good sign for the upcoming K-5.
09-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #165
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
T. . .
Funny is the negative comments about the DA L 35.
You complained about Pentax lenses being too expensive compared to the plastic lenses from the competition. You said you didn't wanted the build quality of the DA Limiteds. That Pentax should lower their prices. Well, to lower the prices Pentax had to release full plastic lens without quick-shift focus and without distance info - just like the all plastic lenses from the competition. And now when Pentax has done just that, you complain about the new DA L 35 being all plastic and not metal and without distance info markings...

You want full metal lenses for free...

If the DA L 35 has similar optical formula as the FA 35 f/2, then it will be a great lens!

. . .
Show me where I complained about the FA 35/2 being too expensive or where I stated I wanted a metal lens for free? The FA had a metal mount. While the both are 5/6 we still don't know for sure they are the same optics. There could be some plastic optics in there for all we know. The one good thing about is the front element has the SP on it. No one ever accused the FA 35 of being over built. However, this lens makes it look like a limited. Most of the people that have also raised concerns about this things are also the ones that are into limited lenses etc.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature First pictures with K-x miss_alexx Post Your Photos! 4 11-18-2009 03:19 PM
what is going on in these pictures? throndor Photographic Technique 16 09-11-2008 03:14 PM
various pictures gokenin Post Your Photos! 1 01-08-2008 06:59 PM
New pictures Flaco Post Your Photos! 6 03-16-2007 12:14 PM
two pictures, what are they? Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 5 01-24-2007 02:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top