Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #211
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This is a nice camera. But, with no weather resistance, it's really not a replacement for my K200D. However, that's the only real shortcoming I can see. Still, it's a minor disappointment because if one wants WR and high ISO performance, it looks like one has to buy a K-5. Pentax is learning fast from the big boys.
I used my DS till -30 without any WR.

09-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Looking at this camera and its specs, I'm amazed at how much Pentax seems to have listened to .. this forum! They seem to have fixed everything that people here have suggested. So, thank you Pentax.

That said, I don't know why I'm shocked to read so many ill-informed complaints. At least the tone seems to have abated.

I think Pentax has done the right thing with this camera. I am very impressed that they added an AF assist lamp. I also suspect that they've done the right thing with the silly colours and coloured lenses. This is a good day for Pentax.
09-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Not sure I could be bothered, but it's good to know my camera can do that. I have to say this is the first model that's a tempting upgrade from my *istDS.

Nice work on the ISO sample images, BTW.
09-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
You should know that I have been a defender of the slow DA 40mm f/2.8 in the past. I don't think we always need very fast lenses. But I also bought a FA 35mm f/2 for those times where 1 stop is making a difference.
But the DA35/2.4 is half way between your DA40 and FA35 and for a fraction of the price. I don't get it that you can enjoy a DA40/2.8 but cannot appreciate this DA35/2.4 for a beginner on a budget.

If it performs good wide open then all is well, it will soon sell around $170, perhaps even lower. Marketing wise an 1.8 would sound better, but I doubt that it would take sales from Pentax/Canon, it's image quality would have been worse or it would have been a lot more expensive.

09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulelescoces Quote
On the 35 2.4

some may complain that its not 1.x however I think that in the days of good performance at high ISO this is less of a problem than ever before and that maintaining 2.4 we can get benefit of smaller, lighter, cheaper etc...

My personal opinion is that in many cases 1.x is not practical due to overly thin DOF and if the 35 2.4 is sharp from 2.4 it will be a hit...

again, as per my Kr post, those plaing the numbers against each other may paint it as a disaster... but until we get a real understanding of this lens capabilities we cant draw conclusions.
Having superior high ISO capability is not really a substitute to having a faster maximum aperture. One may get a usable high ISO image but it is always better to shoot at the lowest possible ISO to get the least noise and widest dynamic range.

Everyone is hoping like mad that this lens is gonna be sharp from wide open but all lenses almost never are sharpest wide open. Had the lens been an f/1.8 or f/2, one would still have a wider range of usable apertures even if one had to stop down. If one had to focus manually, it would be far easier to eyeball focus and DOF with a lens with a larger maximum aperture, not to mention the benefits of a brighter viewfinder.

To say that it is impractical to shoot at f/1.8 due to the thin DOF and therefore f/2.4 will do is a cop out because there are plenty of Nikon shooters who do shoot lovely thin DOF images at f/1.8. If Nikon and Sony can successfully produce a budget 35mm that's f/1.8, why not Pentax?
09-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
It's not exactly a revision or a replament. The K-x + 18-55 was 650$ at launch. The K-r is 850$. It may worth the 200$ more but the competition at this price is much more fierce.
I think it's just a late 2010 revion.
It may be more expensive because of the dollar/yen devaluation. Other than that I see nothing what could make people argue to launch it more expensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
EMR, the size difference could be in part due to the larger LCD. Could part of it be due to an improved AF system that Falk alluded to earlier?
I don't think so. From the DPR image, it looks like the bottom part (below lens -- where the AF module is sitting) did not grow. The pentamirror part did grow however.

Nevertheless, the SAFOX IX name and -1 EV spec for AF are two positive surprises and we'll see what it means in practice. Independently, I've no educated guess if SAFOX IX is what Pentax puts in the K-5 or not.
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If Nikon and Sony can successfully produce a budget 35mm that's f/1.8, why not Pentax?
I have to agree. Several decades ago, 50mm/1.7 was the entry level kit lens for Pentax. Where did all the progress go? To China?
09-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #218
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
[*]Focus priority or shutter priority mode for AF.S[*]Focus priority or FPS priority mode for AF.C

falk,

does this mean that there won't be a slowdown when shooting AFC in FPS priority?
where did you find this particular spec?

tnx
jordan

09-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #219
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
falk,

does this mean that there won't be a slowdown when shooting AFC in FPS priority?

tnx
jordan
In official specs from pentax.jp...

AF-C is realy good. AF is even better than K-7
http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201013.html#spec
09-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #220
Site Supporter

ogl,

that is good to hear.
AF assist lamp is a really good additon too.

and to think i can still use my NiMh batteries, nice. just don't make the AA battery holder too expensive

once again, Kudos, pentax!

jordan
09-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #221
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ogl,

that is good to hear.
AF assist lamp is a really good additon too.

and to think i can still use my NiMh batteries, nice. just don't make the AA battery holder too expensive

once again, Kudos, pentax!

jordan
Buffer specs are really cool too.

6fps@12RAW vs 5.2 fps@15 RAW (K-7)
2 fps@36 RAW (!!!) vs 3.3 fps @ 19 RAW (K-7)
09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #222
Veteran Member

falk,

PENTAX K-r A multi-featured, entry-class digital SLR camera, featuring simple operation and a host of creative tools in a compact, lightweight body

I think that's the only source to be referenced. Everything else must be copied text.
09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #223
Pentaxian

So no WR?

Looks like a great camera except for that....

Cheers,
Cameron
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #224
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Looks like a great camera except for that....

Cheers,
Cameron
K200D was only one entry-level camera with WR. and K200D undercut K20D's sales in Japan.
09-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #225
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Oh sure... most cameras will work in markedly lower temperatures than they are officially rated for. Back in 2004, I was getting good results with a tiny Casio point and shoot (with Pentax lens!) in Quebec City in January. 0 to about minus 10 degrees fahrenheit. It's rain and dust resistance that I'm more worried about.

Ogl... you have to keep us up to date about an upgraded K7 (a Super?) after the K-5 comes out.