Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #226
Inactive Account

I guess the higher intro price also stems from the fact that a LiIon battery AND charger are included. last time i checked, those cost $$ too.

any idea how much the AA battery adapter would cost?

the interval shooting would be nice. now i can use the kr be a night watch man... err camera.

thieves have been hitting unlocked cars lately and taking stuff w/o the owners permission
that could also put the ISO 25k to the test.

falk,

any idea what they mean by a downsized SR mechanism?

regards,
jordan

09-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't seem to impress:

Pentax K-r DSLR: 12 megapixels, ISO 25600, 720p and a new 3-inch LCD display ? New Tech Gadgets & Electronic Devices | Geek.com

"It looks like a fine camera, we just don’t see why — with these modest improvements — you wouldn’t pick up Nikon’s D3100 instead, which is a better camera for a competitive price. I suppose, ultimately though, it all comes down to what lenses you’ve already got lying around in your kit."

Pentax's K-r entry-level DSLR looks like a toy -- Engadget

Headline: Pentax's K-r entry-level DSLR looks like a toy
They have nothing more to say except for a brief run down of specs and release date.

Pentax Announces K-r DSLR For $800

"I’m just not sure it’s competitive — the improvements aren’t very serious, and considering what’s come out in the meantime, it’s not looking so hot any more. The stellar Canon T2i and new Nikon D3100 are nothing to laugh at."

I'm not in the market to buy one but the 6fps and ISO performance would make me consider the K-r over a D3100 despite the 1080P video. As much as I hate the Nikon kit lens with the focus on the end, the silent and super quick drive would win me over. Will be interesting on how fast is fast with the new AF and if it's relatively quiet.
09-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
I'm not in the market to buy one but the 6fps and ISO performance would make me consider the K-r over a D3100 despite the 1080P video.
The Nikon D3100 performance is not known yet. On paper it's true that the K-r doesn't look that impressive. If its actual performance is very good (high ISO, AF) it may overcome that handicap.
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #229

thats a bad review:

Bright-Red Pentax K-r Fails to Stir Passion | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

09-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #230
Veteran Member

In all fairness, the three gadget blogs above are always enamored by spec sheets and numbers. They likely don't even know how *good* the K-x image quality is - which is what makes a camera worthwhile, not a spec sheet list a mile long.

Additionally, I don't think they quite understand the Japanese home market where the color game for the K-x took Pentax entry-level sales to new levels.
09-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #231
Inactive Account

fortunately, it's from a caniksony bigot, so it doesn't count
09-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 312m Quote
It's quite sad really - most of these "reviews" are nothing more than a bored tech editor/reviewer going over the latest press releases without actually using the product. It's all a bunch of measurebating.

09-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #233
Forum Member

Although I was somehow disappointed with the K-R, I have to admit that the high ISO performance is really amazing..

K-r all ISO performance : Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #234
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
falk,

any idea what they mean by a downsized SR mechanism?
jordan,

they? downsized?
What are you refering to?
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #235
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 312m Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
In all fairness, the three gadget blogs above are always enamored by spec sheets and numbers.
No.

In all fairness, the wired.com editor (Charlie Sorrel) just demonstrated his inability to read (let alone to use a camera).

He writes: "Again, useful, but it’s no in-camera HDR ...". Where in reality, Pentax invented in-camera HDR and is now first to join Sony with autoaligning HDR. And may be first with Night HDR if it turns out to be aligned stacking. It was stated clearly in the press release.

So, why are all these people allowed to write on other websites if they can't even read? What world did we come to?
09-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #236
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
No.

In all fairness, the wired.com editor (Charlie Sorrel) just demonstrated his inability to read (let alone to use a camera).

He writes: "Again, useful, but it’s no in-camera HDR ...". Where in reality, Pentax invented in-camera HDR and is now first to join Sony with autoaligning HDR. And may be first with Night HDR if it turns out to be aligned stacking. It was stated clearly in the press release.

So, why are all these people allowed to write on other websites if they can't even read? What world did we come to?
Charlie Sorrel needs his arse kicked until his nose bleeds or reading improved.
09-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #237
Veteran Member

Well... is anyone planning to fire off an e-mail to Charlie Sorrel informing him of his mistake?
09-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #238
Forum Member

You guys sometimes amaze me

Amen!!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Dear Pentax,

Are you telling me that you fixed all of the shortcomings of the awesome K-x - AF viewpoints, Li-Ion battery, AF assist light - while adding an extra stop of ISO?

Are you telling me that you now have a cheap and cheerful DA35 that's nearly a half stop faster than my DA40 Limited?

Are you telling me that you now have an entry/mid level camera and lens that's possibly 1.5 stops better in low light than the already excellent K-x? Can I now take pictures of black cats at night?

Thank you.
With your measurabating and theorising
Let's see it in action - in real situations, not website tests - before deciding
A camera is just a tool

Trev
09-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #239
Veteran Member

No.

I wholeheartedly agree. That was one of the worst articles I've ever read.
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #240
Inactive Account

jordan,

they? downsized?
What are you refering to?
i'm just reading the spec of the Kr. it says in dpreview:

Compact lightweight body ..... stainless steel chassis, a downsized in-body shake reduction mechanism, and state-of-the-art high-denstiy packaging ...

apparently, that's the same text when the Km first came out and the kx
http://www.digitalslrphoto.com/news/297165/pentax_km_dslr.html

so it may mean absolutely... nothing.