Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #241
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Charlie Sorrel needs his arse kicked until his nose bleeds or reading improved.
And after you did that, he'd ask "Why did you kick my elbow?"

This is why I hate it when tech mags - especially fashion tech mags like Wired - try to review cameras. Far too many rely on press releases.

("Fails to stir passion"? With who?)

09-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #242
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
And after you did that, he'd ask "Why did you kick my elbow?"

This is why I hate it when tech mags - especially fashion tech mags like Wired - try to review cameras. Far too many rely on press releases.

("Fails to stir passion"? With who?)
Fails to stir passion with the techno-geeks who could care less about still photography and want to know why the camera doesn't shoot 3D cinemascope while pleasuring its operator at the same time. That's why writers of these journals measurebate so much.
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i'm just reading the spec of the Kr. it says in dpreview:

Compact lightweight body ..... stainless steel chassis, a downsized in-body shake reduction mechanism, and state-of-the-art high-denstiy packaging ...
[...]
so it may mean absolutely... nothing.
Ok, I see.
The text is from the English language press release of Pentax JPN. The Japanese version sounds a bit less dramatic only saying that they have an SR mechanism which fits a small body. Must be true since the K-m indeed

Since you asked me: no, I know nothing about that.
09-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #244
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Only thing missing is a hands-on review.

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Doesn't seem to impress:

Pentax K-r DSLR: 12 megapixels, ISO 25600, 720p and a new 3-inch LCD display ? New Tech Gadgets & Electronic Devices | Geek.com

"It looks like a fine camera, we just donít see why ó with these modest improvements ó you wouldnít pick up Nikonís D3100 instead, which is a better camera for a competitive price. I suppose, ultimately though, it all comes down to what lenses youíve already got lying around in your kit."
And what does the D3100 have on the K-r? 14Mp 1080p (big deal) but lower ISO (3200 unexpanded vs K-r's 12800!!!), conceivably worse noise control and the need to fit expensive lenses to get decent IQ...
QuoteQuote:
Pentax's K-r entry-level DSLR looks like a toy -- Engadget

Headline: Pentax's K-r entry-level DSLR looks like a toy
They have nothing more to say except for a brief run down of specs and release date.
This indeed is nothing but a fickle Pentax-bashing account - and a lot of nay-sayer commenters saying the camera colours are lame and they'd be embarrased to be seen on the street with it.
:yawn:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax Announces K-r DSLR For $800

"Iím just not sure itís competitive ó the improvements arenít very serious, and considering whatís come out in the meantime, itís not looking so hot any more. The stellar Canon T2i and new Nikon D3100 are nothing to laugh at."
He's tried to be objective and loses the plot at the end... 'stellar 550D'? 18Mp (again, no big deal - as with the 7D), but ISO 6400 unexpanded and 3.7fps?!? An advanced metering system means little when the basics aren't there...

QuoteQuote:
I'm not in the market to buy one but the 6fps and ISO performance would make me consider the K-r over a D3100 despite the 1080P video. As much as I hate the Nikon kit lens with the focus on the end, the silent and super quick drive would win me over. Will be interesting on how fast is fast with the new AF and if it's relatively quiet.
And you'll be paying for the silent and super-quick focusing in your VR lenses...
SAFOX IX will impress, I'm confident.

QuoteOriginally posted by 312m Quote
Indeed a waste of time reading it - he plays down specs that the competition just doesn't have!

09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Since my last post has been deleted, I direct you instead to my opinion on this camera on my blog.

Short version: A decent replacement for the K-x but not worth a premium. Leaves too many problems uncorrected to be worth more money. But still I remain positive about Pentax developments, unlike many whose negativism apparently is allowed to thrive here.
09-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Short version: A decent replacement for the K-x but not worth a premium. Leaves too many problems uncorrected to be worth more money.
But I think the camera doesn't cost that much more money to produce than the K-x so Hoya has some headroom to lower the price when needed. The element that should cost a bit more money than the K-x are the 920k LCD and maybe the Li-On battery/charger. Otherwise almost everything else is the same.

If the camera is 50-100$ more expensive than the K-x it's a worthwhile upgrade: new AF, bigger buffer, new LCD, dual battery. And if the performance match the specs it maybe better than anticipated. The high ISO noise that seem so important nowadays could more than make up for the low MP count vs D3100, T2i and A33/A55.

The big problem I see is that the competition is better this year. Last year we had D3000 (no video, CCD), D5000 (more expensive), T1i (more noise, less features) and Sony (no video). The K-x was easily the best entry level camera. The K-r risk to be seen as a competent camera but having nothing really above the pack.
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The K-x was easily the best entry level camera. The K-r risk to be seen as a competent camera but having nothing really above the pack.
And the fact it is priced higher is even worse, since it no longer has the competitive advantage on that front.

If they'd fixed all the other issues I mention in the article (and they are cheap to do) I would say it's a worthwhile upgrade. But there are too many annoying omissions despite the few obvious improvements.

But I love the kit prime idea.
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #248
Veteran Member

Just went to Bic Camera in Nagoya, but no K-r yet. They told me I also have to wait until middle of October here in Japan.
- The Sony camera's already arrived!!!
- The K-7 was gone???

Maybe the K-5 will come earlier and Pentax just has to empty the K-x pipeline before they lower the price of the K-r. What if the K-x becomes even more cheap for some time, that will hurt Nikon and Canon.

09-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 312m Quote
Take a look at the comments. Better yet, add one of your own.

I did and felt better for at least a half hour.
09-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #250
Veteran Member

If they'd fixed all the other issues I mention in the article (and they are cheap to do) I would say it's a worthwhile upgrade. But there are too many annoying omissions despite the few obvious improvements.
I don't agree, these "omissions" are rather superficial and far from being deal breakers like the absence AF leds were.

QuoteQuote:
The mode dial turns too easily and is inevitably on the wrong setting when I pull the camera out of my bag.
Not an issue for me. In fact I much prefer it to the K-7 dial because I can turn it with my thumb very easily. On the K-7 you need 3 fingers.

QuoteQuote:
I never know what a Menu / Info button press will do based on my current screen. Though the system itself is rather slick, accessing it is a bit random.
Not a big deal, I just don't notice that.

QuoteQuote:
One cannot easily select multiple exposure mode, as this option is buried in the menus. (True on the K20D as well.) This option should be on the drive mode menu.
I almost never used that. I think it's more a legacy stuff than anything.

QuoteQuote:
There is no HDMI output, which I hear is important these days.
I have it on the K-7 and never use it but it could prove useful to use it for external monitors. I guess this would add too much cost to an entry level camera?

QuoteQuote:
There is no microphone input. I record using a separate digital audio device, but I understand that others might not want to stretch to this expense.
Nice to have but not essential.

QuoteQuote:
There is no shutter release cable connection, though you can use a wireless release.
It was more annoying on the K-m because you had to maintain the remote button pressed during Bulb. But since the K-x/K-7 you can just press once to start and once to stop. So except for fancy intervalometers (now built in K-r) and timers this is no big deal but maybe the most serious omission on your list.

And I don't agree that the K-r will have the same fate as the K200D. The K-r is built cheaper (no top LCD, no WR) and has the potential to come down in price more easily. I expect the K-x to be dropped at some point and replaced completely by the K-r.
09-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #251
Veteran Member

I listed the omissions of the camera and you responded by saying they didn't matter to you. This is irrelevant. Please realise that Pentax has to market to people other than yourself. Many of these people might indeed be concerned about one or more of these items. In fact, even the most cursory reading of these forums would show this to be true.

My job as a writer is to have some perspective and be inclusive of other points of view while nonetheless expressing my own subjective position. I realise others do not hold to these same standards.

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I expect the K-x to be dropped at some point and replaced completely by the K-r.
When the facts change I will re-evaluate my position. Until then I will base my conclusions on the available consensus reality.
09-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #252
Veteran Member

I listed the omissions of the camera and you responded by saying they didn't matter to you. This is irrelevant. Please realise that Pentax has to market to people other than yourself. Many of these people might indeed be concerned about one or more of these items. In fact, even the most cursory reading of these forums would show this to be true.
If I try to look these omissions from a marketing POV they are even less inconsequential IMHO. Mutiple shots, wired remote, dial, info/menu button are advanced users stuff. The target market will not even realize they are problematic. HDMI and Mic-in can somewhat bother them but the biggest omissions will be on the spec sheet: no 30fps, no 1080p, no 14MP.
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, why are all these people allowed to write on other websites if they can't even read? What world did we come to?
That's easy, ad revenue. If you write a bad review, people will talk about it, and more importantly, visit the site to read it for themselves. Hits = $$$
09-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #254

Anybody want an early test drive? I found one for sale on Craigslist for Long Island, NY. I haven't lived there in years, but I think there is a major camera store in the town where the seller claims to be. They're selling it for $675, and no photos are attached to the ad. How is it possible that someone has one to sell? Perhaps it is someone who received one to test for a photo magazine?

(Disclaimer: The seller is not me. This isn't an ad.)

Update:

I emailed the seller asking whether it's $675 for a body only or with a kit lens, what the shutter actuation count is, and how they can be selling something that isn't even available yet. Here's the response I got:

The K-r will come with a 18-55 mm IS lens. I am not positive about the shutter actuation, but if you are still interested I will look it up on the box. I do have this camera. I found the description online when I searched about my camera. It is a great camera. I took such good care of it because photography is something I love and if you are trying to get into it, this is the camera.

The original ad was mostly text from Pentax, but still sounded legitimate. Upon further review, maybe Hicksville, NY is somewhere in the Lagos metropolitan area.

Last edited by Glarus; 09-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.