Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Don't forget to use Google to get a surprisingly good English translation of this page.
Guess the original text was English, thanks for reminding us on this Google feature!!!
- And indeed it looks to support interval exposures, great

Also Live view seems to be useful, handy if you want somebody else to take a picture of you

Last edited by JoepLX3; 09-09-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: LV remark
09-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
  • On the photo's the LCD doesn't look bigger, but higher resolution (and size) are indeed very nice features.
  • On the AF manual focus adjustments, the Pentax site state +/- 10 steps, but "uniform adjustment"-only, so not lens specific... <-- that would be a real pitty
  • I hope the new sensor doesn't mean worse high ISO performance
  • And also the effectiveness of the "downsized in-body shake reduction mechanism" is a concern (is K-7 more effective than K-x?)
  • I really miss the connector for exernal stereo microphone
  • And higher video fps at lower resolutions as well as interval / time elapse functionality would have be nice to have
  • And the price should go down over time to come closer to the K-x when they run out of them (and/or K-x also becoming cheaper to enforce this to happen)
Some people were dreaming on WR and 100% OVF (like me), but for me compactness is even more importanted. Altough WR and compactness not have to conflict with each other...

Source:
PENTAX K-r A multi-featured, entry-class digital SLR camera, featuring simple operation and a host of creative tools in a compact, lightweight body
poeple what's wrong with you all ??? It's not K-7 replacement !!!! K-r is between K-x and K-7, wait till Photokina and you will see camera above K-7.
If it has WR and 100% OVF what Pentax will offer for higher model, think !!!
09-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sorry I don't but this argument one bit.
All things considered, one would have to push the ISO upwards to compensate for the slower lens if one is already at the threshold of hand holdability. With the faster lens, you got more options.
Agreed on your last sentence, but at any given ISO and a shutter speed below 1/50s the K-r will give you sharp photos (even more when we suppose that the lens is sharper wide open than the f/1.8 from the competition), whereas in Nikon and Canon land all you get is movement blur. Think about it. The competition MUST have fast lenses because there is NO SR.
09-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
for everyone who moans and is pointlessly negative.

It is obviously incredibly easy to set up, operate and market a successful camera and electronics company in the current climate. Please feel free to have a go yourselves, instead of whinging like a bunch of spoilt petulant children.
Now now... lets not turn this into personal attacks.
Everyone's entitled to there feelings and opinions.
But lets keep it on the level shall we.
These are merely machines after all...

09-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This is also different from the K-x: multiple exposure support, and an intervalometer function.
This is good (the timer function). Sounds reminiscent of the PZ-1. It may generally eliminate the need for a remote timer, but I still like the cable shutter release over the IR remote.
09-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
poeple what's wrong with you all ??? It's not K-7 replacement !!!! K-r is between K-x and K-7, wait till Photokina and you will see camera above K-7.
If it has WR and 100% OVF what Pentax will offer for higher model, think !!!
As stated above, I can live without that and on top of all compactness (icw price) is more important to me.
09-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #112
Veteran Member

The IrSimple is actually also pretty nice (K-5 feature), less need to open up you camera, get it out of leather casing
  • Next step would be the battery...
  • Then the lenses???

09-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! I can't believe how negative everyone is being about this fine camera. Do you all expect Pentax to give you everything you want for practically nothing? This camera makes some major improvements over the K-x:

bigger, higher res LCD display
better faster AF
Best burst rate in it's class!
promises perhaps best DR and high ISO in class
AF point in VF

This could be a good seller and a good deal for many in the "new or casual" DSLR user group - the customer group towards which it is intended! Besides, it looks kinda' nice - check out this retro look below (if we do get all these color options):

The K-5 probably the camera we all really want, but I have to admit that the only things keeping me holding out for the K-5 are a better VF and a WR body. The K-r sounds great!!!!
Attached Images

09-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Thank you Pentax!

This is a great entry level camera and should bring lots of new customers to the brand, which in turn means a greater budget for Hoya/Pentax... which ultimately means we will get better products from them as well as a greater range...

When you start seeing bright red K-x's around the necks of reporters in remote places in darkest Africa, then you know the brand and the marketing are successful!
(In this case a reporter at a rally in a remote part of Swaziland)

My two cents worth...
09-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really can't understand what all the whinging is about.
There is some good improvements, and that is what was expected, surely?
Fits in where it's supposed to - in between the k-x and k-7.

I for one wasn't expecting weather sealing.
Give up on that.
Pentax has a clearly different target market for this/k-x and the k-7/k-5.

As for the lens, it's targeted at the first-time buyer, rather than the experienced photographer.
If you were all hoping for a bargain,you'll have to dig a little deeper in your pockets.
Still lots of choice in the Pentax line-up, so all isn't lost.
It might be a cracking lens for all we know.
09-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #116
Veteran Member

K-r sounds good for what it is in the product line. Let's see the K5 and after that the real life and testing results.

Until then, it's all words on paper. Even the 35mm could be an excellent lens despite construction. Remember the cheapish all plastic kit lens from Nikon F/N semi-pro/enthusiast bodies (the 28-80mm D) which is a tack sharp lens standing up to their expensive zooms at equivalent apertures.
09-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #117

Having handled a K-x, the most negative issue personally is the location of the D-pad. Too low and too far right.

It seems it's the same with the K-r. Not sure if the added height (seems taller than the K-x) would improve ergonomics or make it worse.
09-09-2010, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #118
Veteran Member

Bitch Bitch Bitch! Get life armchair experts!

JESUS CHRIST! Get over yourselves so many of you naysayers.

Firstly the K-R is exactly what it was meant to be, a K-x upgrade. What more did you expect? a K-7 class camera with top of the line sensor at a budget price point?

Secondly all the moaning about the DAL35 2.4 before anyway has even used the god damn lens?!

Use it first, if it sucks optically then criticise it until then reserve judgement.

Thirdly, so what if it's plastic? well most electronic goods are plastics and are VERY strong, seriously your all deluded if you can expect Limited quality at a budget price.

Once again the lens is what it's meant to be, a budget solution.

Get over yourselves and buy into another camera brand!
09-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Agreed on your last sentence, but at any given ISO and a shutter speed below 1/50s the K-r will give you sharp photos (even more when we suppose that the lens is sharper wide open than the f/1.8 from the competition), whereas in Nikon and Canon land all you get is movement blur. Think about it. The competition MUST have fast lenses because there is NO SR.
The problem is that at 35mm you can handhold at pretty low speeds without SR, going even lower with the help of SR will only work on static objects. Forget shooting people unless they are in a coma.
09-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Forget shooting people unless they are in a coma.
That was rather funny
I covered a street festival a few weeks back with a 35mm 3.5 in the evening.
I was pushing 3200 with a K20D toward the end of the night, but I kept my shutter at/or above 1/160s. Images were tack sharp even at 1:1

I'm confident that the new sensitivities and wider aperture will be more than enough to get things done.