Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Omg you guys are expecting much from an entry level camera, just take 2 min to compare it to nikons d3100...£20 more for the pentax, and you get a hell of a lot more. (screen,ma, sr, buildquality, twice the fps, trice the iso sensitivity, etc)

09-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #122

Photos: Gallery
I was hoping for WR and AF in video.... none of those got into the camera.... argh...

Last edited by soalle; 09-09-2010 at 02:24 AM.
09-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #123

Photos: Gallery
Let's put it in this way:

If I had a K-X would it be worth the upgrade to the K-R?
09-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #124

These are already in a store in Perth.

09-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #125
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote

The K-5 probably the camera we all really want, but I have to admit that the only things keeping me holding out for the K-5 are a better VF and a WR body. The K-r sounds great!!!!
But, we waited for such camera 1 year ago.
09-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #126
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordonza Quote
thank you pentax!

This is a great entry level camera and should bring lots of new customers to the

my two cents worth...
it's entry level camera with rather high price.

Last edited by ogl; 09-09-2010 at 02:52 AM.
09-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disapointed by both the lens and camera

What happened to the WR mid level ala K200D? Yes I get that the K-r is an updated K-x with welcome new features but the competition didn't stand still, this camera has to compete with the T2i, D3100 and A33/A55? I don't see what feature make it above the pack. At this MSRP it stands no chance IMHO.

The more interesting new feature is the SAFOX IX, is it the long awaited new AF system? But it's still 11 points...

The IR send/receiver? ridiculous 2001 technology, I don't see any use for it. If it was at least bluetooth and the ability to communicate with a GPS receiver... alas... or a Wi-Fi feature to send your pictures.

I don't care for the 6 fps, it's mostly unusable when you use AF-C anyway.

And the AA/Li-On is a great idea, but then they introduce yet another Li-On battery instead of using the same as K-7. Disappointing.

It's bigger than K-x which will stay the most ultra compact Pentax DSLR.

But the most disappointing news is the DA 35mm f/2.4. And don't tell me the competition doesn't have IS, Sony does! What was Hoya thinking? Afraid of competing with their own lenses? update and discontinue the old lenses, bring on new *competitive* designs.

09-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
Let's put it in this way:

If I had a K-X would it be worth the upgrade to the K-R?
Personally, no. The K-r changes are only modest relative to the K-x. K-x upgraders aren't the target market for this camera.

The only valid reason IMHO for a K-x user to upgrade would be if there were some huge improvement in IQ in the K-r, which will only be revealed once detailed test reports are done on the camera. But I doubt huge improvements in IQ are there. The K-x already has very decent resolution, dynamic range, colour depth, and low-light performance, so some spectacular improvements there would be needed to justify an upgrade from a K-x.

Unless you were a K-x user who really wanted those silly illuminated AF points, or a lithium battery option, or potential AF improvements, slightly faster fps etc. But it would still be a high price to pay just to get those marginal improvements.

If I was a new Pentax buyer on a budget though, I'd certainly choose the K-r over the K-x.
09-09-2010, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
What happened to the WR mid level ala K200D? Yes I get that the K-r is an updated K-x with welcome new features but the competition didn't stand still, this camera has to compete with the T2i, D3100 and A33/A55? I don't see what feature make it above the pack. At this MSRP it stands no chance IMHO.

The more interesting new feature is the SAFOX IX, is it the long awaited new AF system? But it's still 11 points...

The IR send/receiver? ridiculous 2001 technology, I don't see any use for it. If it was at least bluetooth and the ability to communicate with a GPS receiver... alas... or a Wi-Fi feature to send your pictures.

And the AA/Li-On is a great idea, but then they introduce yet another Li-On battery instead of using the same as K-7. Disappointing.

But the most disappointing news is the DA 35mm f/2.4. And don't tell me the competition doesn't have IS, Sony does! What was Hoya thinking? Afraid of competing with their own lenses? update and discontinue the old lenses, bring on new *competitive* designs.
Dude what the hell more do you want from an entry level camera?

As for the IrSimple, look up the specs, the speed rates are VERY VERY fast! can transmit a full size image on only a few seconds.

Christ! Hoya/Pentax clearly know something you don't thats why they are a big company and you are no. They know what they are doing and their strategy so far has been successful as it needs to be for them.
09-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
These are already in a store in Perth.
Wow. CR Kennedy's distribution system works fast!
Which store?
09-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Dude what the hell more do you want from an entry level camera?
Is it really entry level at this price ?!? It's already outdated by 14MP models. Yes I know than 2MP more is no big deal but on a marketing point of view, it's not good.

As for the Ir Simple, look up the specs, the speed rates are VERY VERY fast! can transmit a full size image on only a few seconds.
I don't care. With IR you need to be in line of sight which is pretty much 1980 technology. At this point I may as well use a cable or insert my SD card in a card reader as I usually do. Wireless in 2010 is radio. You know something like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or 3G.

Christ! Hoya/Pentax clearly know something you don't thats why they are a big company and you are no. They know what they are doing and their strategy so far has been successful as it needs to be for them.
Let's see how this strategy works out. I really hope the best but I see no reason to be optimist.
09-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #132
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Like upgrade of K-x, K-r is really cool machine. No doubt. But...Will I buy it?
Hard to say.
09-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #133
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why so negative? So it doesn't meet your personal requirements - look for a camera that does. Entry-level means just that - 11 AF points is more than enough. WR is to me not a primary selling point for an *entry-level* camera - the K-r is priced as such in line with competitor entry-level models. It's not a buddy to the K-7 - why the need for the same battery? How much bigger is the K-r really? Again, the DA 35 aims at the low-end consumer looking to experiment with a prime for the first time in their lives...

I believe the K-r will be just as successful as the K-x, if not moreso...
09-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #134
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
What happened to the WR mid level ala K200D?
Died. It's history.

If to think properly, K-r looks good as K-x' upgrade...
Very fast with good buffer, with good AF and LV.
But...Do I want this camera? I can't say...Maybe...
But, I don't want DA35/2.4

Last edited by ogl; 09-09-2010 at 03:05 AM.
09-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Is it really entry level at this price ?!? It's already outdated by 14MP models. Yes I know than 2MP more is no big deal but on a marketing point of view, it's not good.

I don't care. With IR you need to be in line of sight which is pretty much 1980 technology. At this point I may as well use a cable or insert my SD card in a card reader as I usually do. Wireless in 2010 is radio. You know something like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or 3G.

Let's see how this strategy works out. I really hope the best but I see no reason to be optimist.
1. The price seems pretty entry level to me, it's a lot of camera for the money. Show me another for the same price that rivals it for the feature set.
2. Your going against the forum trend, everyone here seems to want 12mp
3. I don't disagree with you on the wireless point, then again we do have eye-fi cards at our disposal, from what I understand the IrSimple is more for sharing between cameras than anything, personally it's a gimmick to me.
4. Pentax/Hoya have clearly been embarking on a pretty conservative slow play strategy, it's obvious they aren't interested in been top of the market with Canon/Nikon instead they are happy to just carve out their profitable little niche. At the end of the day the idea is to make money for the shareholders not keep fan boys happy. Just like the new Star Trek, it pissed off lots of long term fanboys but totally reinvigorated the franchise and found a whole new audience, if they producers had listened to the fanboys it would've just died.....