Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote

BTW, who of the bashers has already seen, holded an tested these new things?
I don't meant to bash, and as I admitted in another thread, this is good lens from Pentax POV. It's half price of DA40 (the next cheapest available new), half stop faster, nearly as light etc, and if it is based on FA35 it's expected to be stellar performer in terms of sharpness BUT you don't need to hold the lens to see this:
Pentax K-r + DAL35/2.4 = 599 RRP + 179 RRP = 778
Pentax K-x + DAL35/2.4 = 379 (street price) + 179 RRP = 558
Nikon D5000 + 35/1.8G = 475 (street price) + 165 (street price) = 640
Nikon D3000 + 35/1.8G = 299 (street price) + 165 (street price) = 464

Now, here we go for perfect starter's learning kit.....

09-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #32
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Things might be a little different in the UK, Peter (what's with the inflated Pentax prices?!?).
Pentax entry-level cams have always been the best value in Australia, and they look pretty comparable in the US.
09-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #33
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Things might be a little different in the UK, Peter (what's with the inflated Pentax prices?!?).
Pentax entry-level cams have always been the best value in Australia, and they look pretty comparable in the US.
inflated???? Ash, these are THE cheapest prices for Pentax stuff you can get in UK and the Nikon prices are from the same retailer.
Now mind you, since we are talking of very good vendor here, I expect the DAL35 to go for around 160-170, and the K-r for around 550 but still, at the same shop you can buy comparable Nikon stuff cheaper!
09-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #34
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BRunner Quote
I fully understand why Pentax opted for 2.4 aperture.
The current offer from Pentax around this focal range is already very broad at different price points:

smc PENTAX-FA31mmF1.8AL Limited
smc PENTAX-FA35mmF2A
smc PENTAX-DA35mmF2.8 MacroLimited
smc PENTAX-DA40mmF2.8 Limited
smc PENTAX-FA43mmF1.9 Limited

If they make it faster, they would cannibalize sales of all these lenses much more.
I don't believe so.
Or Pentax wouldn't have released the DA* 55 with the FA 50/1.4 still in production.
More options mean a wider market base. I said it before, but the DA 35/2.4 appeals to a totally different customer than the FA 31 and DA 35 macro ltd. Even if the DA 35 was f/1.8, it wouldn't make a huge dent in FA 31 sales unless it had similar IQ and build quality - but then it wouldn't go for $200 now, would it?

09-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you guys and gals are into colored lenses...

Pick your color...

09-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

Is this for real??????? please tell me it's not THE differentiating factor of this lens...
09-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Is this for real??????? please tell me it's not THE differentiating factor of this lens...
Of course it's for real... this makes a better talking point than maximum aperture...
Lens is cheap enough for an enthusiast to collect them all...
Be Interesting!!!
09-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #38
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

inflated???? Ash, these are THE cheapest prices for Pentax stuff you can get in UK and the Nikon prices are from the same retailer.
Now mind you, since we are talking of very good vendor here, I expect the DAL35 to go for around 160-170, and the K-r for around 550 but still, at the same shop you can buy comparable Nikon stuff cheaper!
That makes it tough to be a Pentaxian in Britian...
550 pounds means US$850, which isn't too much more than the estimated US RRP, but convert it to Aussie dollars, and it's AUD$920 - body only, for an entry-level camera! We'd be expecting a twin lens kit for that price...

09-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #39
Inactive Account

LOL. This is still Pentax we're talking about... My question is how long until they release the "rainbow" version.

- Jeff
09-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #40
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That makes it tough to be a Pentaxian in Britian...
550 pounds means US$850, which isn't too much more than the estimated US RRP, but convert it to Aussie dollars, and it's AUD$920 - body only, for an entry-level camera! We'd be expecting a twin lens kit for that price...
Well, tell me about it....
My first camera (DSLR) was K100D + DA18-55. I paid for it 550 in fall 2006.
Anyway, do you want more examples?
FA31 - 1000 (the cheapest, normally starts at 1100)
FA43/77 - from 750 upwards
I will not continue, but the prices in here are pretty.... stupid let's say.. Back in 2006 I went with Pentax because they offered much more for the same money as competition or the same as competition but quite a bit cheaper... these days the prices are pretty much the same for the top of the range products with lot of entry stuff... well, missing. I'm lucky I'm set with my line up but I keep looking around more and more and more....
09-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #41
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, tell me about it....
My first camera (DSLR) was K100D + DA18-55. I paid for it 550 in fall 2006.
Anyway, do you want more examples?
FA31 - 1000 (the cheapest, normally starts at 1100)
FA43/77 - from 750 upwards
I will not continue, but the prices in here are pretty.... stupid let's say.. Back in 2006 I went with Pentax because they offered much more for the same money as competition or the same as competition but quite a bit cheaper... these days the prices are pretty much the same for the top of the range products with lot of entry stuff... well, missing. I'm lucky I'm set with my line up but I keep looking around more and more and more....
Yeah, those are crazy prices, but then again if I wanted to buy that gear locally in Australia, I'd be paying an equivalent amount in Aussie dollars - hence me going straight to US vendors... that and the chronic unavailability of Pentax gear locally...
09-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't understand why everyone is so down on this lens. What we FINALLY have from Pentax is a brand new, sub f2.8, likey sub $200 street, AF prime. Considering it is most likely based on the FA 35 the IQ wide open is probably excellent. Do you know what this could do? It just might send the old "normalish" AF primes back into sane price ranges! How about a F 50 1.7 for under $150 - wouldn't that be nice, and reasonable?!? I for one am looking forward to this lens, and if the reviews are good my A series 50mm f1.7 is hitting the market to help pay for this little plastic wonder.
09-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No quick-shift: Pentax DA L Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #44
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I don't understand why everyone is so down on this lens. What we FINALLY have from Pentax is a brand new, sub f2.8, likey sub $200 street, AF prime. Considering it is most likely based on the FA 35 the IQ wide open is probably excellent. Do you know what this could do? It just might send the old "normalish" AF primes back into sane price ranges! How about a F 50 1.7 for under $150 - wouldn't that be nice, and reasonable?!? I for one am looking forward to this lens, and if the reviews are good my A series 50mm f1.7 is hitting the market to help pay for this little plastic wonder.
How would it send prices of 50s anywhere? If anything than it'll affect used FA35 price imo but that's just about it...and I'm not sure if in positive way, at the end of the day the FA is 1/2 faster, features metal mount. So I expect it to stay as expensive as it is
to move 50s you would have to come out with new cheap 50 and since the only new 50ish lenses are 43ltd and 55* I don't see the prices of 50s going anywhere.
09-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How would it send prices of 50s anywhere? If anything than it'll affect used FA35 price imo but that's just about it...and I'm not sure if in positive way, at the end of the day the FA is 1/2 faster, features metal mount. So I expect it to stay as expensive as it is
to move 50s you would have to come out with new cheap 50 and since the only new 50ish lenses are 43ltd and 55* I don't see the prices of 50s going anywhere.
But what you aren't factoring in are the people who run a 50mm because before today they couldn't justify to themselves the cost of any of the available 35's on the market, nor are you considering those that simply refuse to buy used.