Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #76
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rees Quote
Plastic Mount? Oh dear, I think Pentax should start making car bumpers there plastic are they not, insane coloured camera bodies, now plastic lens mounts!
I think it is pretty standard across brands with intro lenses. The other DA-L and FA-J lenses for Pentax also have plastic mounts so not really a new thing. I personally still use a FA-J 18-35mm on my film ZX-5n and have never had any issues with the mount being plastic (and no disclaimer shows up in photos saying "taken with a plastic mount lens.")

09-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #77

I rather shoot aspherical lenses and plastic mount than plastic lenses with an metal (or an aspherical ) mount
09-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You could do the same thing with the FA 35/2 which is known to be sharp at f2.
But loses considerable contrast. That's the tradeoff with pre-digital lens design.

We're seeing ISO replace expensive aperture widths as the technical means.
09-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax should have based this new lens on the F 28/2.8 and they would have a different FL in the line up. Plus it would be of more interest to established enthusiasts as well as entry level enthusiasts. Face, P&S types don't understand primes.
I could not agree more. We now have 2 DA lenses at 35mm, plus one recently discontinued 35mm (the FA), which are still available. I have written this here before, but a relatively inexpensive 28mm lens (2.8 or so), perhaps based on the above mentioned design (from the F lineup), was exactly what this lineup needed.

Why did this not happen? I think that Pentax wanted a focal length and max aperture that would allow new users to achieve pleasant out of focus areas at everyday shooting distances (4 to 8 feet). 28mm f2.8 can produce a bokeh, but only at relatively short focusing distances. Sad, though, because there are no autofocus lenses (that are anywhere near affordable) between 21mm and 35mm for the Pentax lineup. My view is that this range is the real Ęsweet spotĘ for primes.

09-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But loses considerable contrast. That's the tradeoff with pre-digital lens design.

It turns out the FA 35/2 received the Ghostless Coating. Maybe its like you say, the stopped it at 2.4 due to contrast or maybe they dropped the G.C on the DA L version. Or maybe its like someone else said, rookies will be missing focus at f2. I really doubt contrast is the reason for the f2.4 though.
09-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I understand why this lens is F2.4, what I do not understand is why it cost over $200 being soooo cheaply build.
09-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #82
Veteran Member

That happens to be the easiest thing possible to edit in a picture.....

And you have much more tolerance for noise than I do if you think modern day ISO performance in current Pentax cameras is good enough to justify a slower lens.
09-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
That happens to be the easiest thing possible to edit in a picture.....

And you have much more tolerance for noise than I do if you think modern day ISO performance in current Pentax cameras is good enough to justify a slower lens.
Most people do not edit. In fact, the majority of camera users do not use a PC, a trend especially in growing markets. So in-body JPEG is where it's at, on to the cloud.

And most people do not want to edit.I try and spend as little time in PP so I can post here

I find ISO 800 very functional on the K-x. 1600 is iffy. I use a bounce or fill flash often. I like the bokeh of most lenses at 2.8, much lower the tradeoff is iffy for price/quality/pixel peeping effort. What I do not like is what higher ISO's do to bokeh. Hence, the bounce flash.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 09-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #84
Veteran Member

For me the loss of quick shift is more serious than a plastic mount. I think beginner lenses should have it. I don't know the number of times I've handed my camera to someone only to have them turn the lens focusing.

Without quickshift this can strip gears and cause damage, that I find a problem. Though I'm 95% certain I will be buying this lens very soon, unless it is poor wide open, which I can't really see.
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
I understand why this lens is F2.4, what I do not understand is why it cost over $200 being soooo cheaply build.
Maybe it's not so cheaply built as you are imagining?
09-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
For me the loss of quick shift is more serious than a plastic mount. I think beginner lenses should have it. I don't know the number of times I've handed my camera to someone only to have them turn the lens focusing.

Without quickshift this can strip gears and cause damage, that I find a problem. Though I'm 95% certain I will be buying this lens very soon, unless it is poor wide open, which I can't really see.
The FA 35/2, FA 50/1.4, FA 501.7 nor the FA 28/2.8 had/have Quick Shift and the manual focus ring is Spartan at best. Actually having a focus ring may be a plus for this DA L 25/2.4.
09-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #87
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote

User error to that degree shouldn't mean a design change is warranted. A newbie should know full well what they're buying in the 35/2, and anyone it's handed to for a photo should be told "just point and shoot - it's not a zoom lens..."
09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Most people do not edit. In fact, the majority of camera users do not use a PC, a trend especially in growing markets. So in-body JPEG is where it's at, on to the cloud.

And most people do not want to edit.I try and spend as little time in PP so I can post here
Where are you getting the bolded from?

and of course, same here.... but dont tell me you edit pictures without doing something to the contrast