09-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Amazon Accepting Pre-orders on K-r

Here's the link....

Amazon.com: New Pentax K-r Digital SLRs and more

09-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Has also hastily copied some info from K-x The name of the K-r product still claims 2.7 inch LCD, some one should correct that...
09-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #3

That is a beautiful camera. I wish B&H would already offer a good deal on this one. This Camera at a little lower price, solves all my dilemmas. The biggest one for me in the Pentax Lenses are hard to get. Is it possible to convert Canon & Nikon lenses to a K-mount?
09-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Sblast Quote
Is it possible to convert Canon & Nikon lenses to a K-mount?
As long as I know, the answer is NO.

09-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Won't be a bargain until the price drops in a few months. Unless you are a Pentax user already, can't see any newbies buying the body for 799 when they can get the new D3100 w/ kit lens for 699.
09-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Won't be a bargain until the price drops in a few months. Unless you are a Pentax user already, can't see any newbies buying the body for 799 when they can get the new D3100 w/ kit lens for 699.
Yes, and Nikon lenses are easier to get.
I'll wait a while, I have enough hobbies I can bite my teeth into.
09-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

And why would you buy the K-r for $800 when you can get the K-7 for $870?!

The K-r looks like it will be an excellent camera, once the price comes down to something realistic. I have a K10D and a K-7. I really struggled with the choice of K-7 vs. K-x + lens. The K-x had a better sensor, but was otherwise terribly inferior to my K10D and the K-7. The IQ at high ISOs was really tempting though. The biggest deterrent for me was the lack of focus point indicators in the viewfinder. I was also a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to deal with such a tiny camera, because no accessory grip was available.

The addition of focus point indicators makes this camera appear much stronger to me. It's going to be very tempting to pick one up for low-light work once the price comes down below $600. It may even push the price of the K-x down to a level where I'd be willing to pick one up, in spite of the focus point issue. Don't get me wrong, the K-x is a steal for $500 (with a lens) on Amazon right now. People who are less serious about photography (or just people who shoot at smaller apertures) could care less about focus point indicators in the viewfinder, but I am constantly changing my active focus point when shooting people at wide apertures and so it's a very important issue for me.

I doubt that I'll be getting the rumored K-5, though, since my K-7 is awesome, and only its high-ISO performance leaves me wanting more.
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManWithCamera Quote
It may even push the price of the K-x down to a level where I'd be willing to pick one up, in spite of the focus point issue.
I don't think that' s gonna happen. By the time the K-r is in stores, K-x supplies will be drying up. The K-x price may even go up a little bit, as the K-r comes on to market at $850 with the kit lens. Once the K-r's price comes down, the K-xs will be gone.

09-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

Buy later

Maybe we will get a Black Friday deal on the K-r.

I am going to wait otherwise till the new year to upgrade from my fine K-x.