Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hear Hear Robin!

Besides, no one knows the characteristics of the new lens. The FA 35mm is very sharp, but the bokeh is nothing to write home about. I still lust after the FA 31mm ltd because of it's bokeh and the "pixie dust factor". I am certainly reserving judgement on the new lens until I see some sample shots. If the bokeh is better than the FA 35mm, I just may sell mine and get the new lens. (and probably make a profit)

NaCl(here! here! wear? wear? their! their!)H2O

09-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

It's lighter, cheaper, comes as a kit lens, is optimised for digital and is only a half-stop slower. What Pentax has done is given us a kit lens prime that will no doubt have excellent IQ and will absolutely blow away any other company's kit lens.

So what do people do? Complain.
Because it is too dumbed down compared to similar budget 35mm offerings from Sony and Nikon (both f/1.8) and Canon (f/2). On paper specifications alone, it isn't even on par with what the competition is currently offering.
The only possible redemption for the new DA 35mmf/2.4 is if the image quality is stellar right from maximum aperture onwards. Given the laws of physics, that's just too much wishful thinking. Right now the only thing going for it is the dirt cheap price and the color variations. I expect Pentax to make a killing selling this cheap plastic throwaway.
09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So where are the sample images from this lens? Hasn't someone been testing this lens out there on the internet?
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The only possible redemption for the new DA 35mmf/2.4 is if the image quality is stellar right from maximum aperture onwards. Given the laws of physics, that's just too much wishful thinking.
I don't think that's crazy. That description fits the DA Limited 40mm and 70mm Limited, for example.

09-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you know it's a throwaway? Because it has a polycarbonite mount? I think it's pretty ridiculous to start pre judging a lens until we see some real world results. If they are poop then you can crow and say "i told you so" but if they are good I'd like to see you and all the other nay-sayers go "Opps I was wrong".

NaCl(you will crow if right, if you are wrong will you be honest and eat crow?)H2O
09-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The Return of the Platic Fantastic Lens. =)
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #37

If the new DA35/2.4 covers FF, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

09-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I don't think that's crazy. That description fits the DA Limited 40mm and 70mm Limited, for example.
No doubt both the lenses you mention do show good resolution figures at maximum aperture but peak sharpness is achieved only at f/5.6 (looking at Photozone's reviews). If you look at the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G for example, at f/2.8 it already betters both lenses in terms of sharpness and achieves peak sharpness at f/4 and f/5.6 is just as good. Stopping down does improve sharpness... that's a given, the issue is the range of usable apertures you can play with, and in this regard the f/1.8 lens does have the edge in terms of options.
09-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
No doubt both the lenses you mention do show good resolution figures at maximum aperture but peak sharpness is achieved only at f/5.6 (looking at Photozone's reviews). If you look at the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G for example, at f/2.8 it already betters both lenses in terms of sharpness and achieves peak sharpness at f/4 and f/5.6 is just as good. Stopping down does improve sharpness... that's a given, the issue is the range of usable apertures you can play with, and in this regard the f/1.8 lens does have the edge.
This all may be true, however sharpness is only one small part of a len's total IQ. What is the bokeh like? How does it render colors? Is it prone to flare? CA? All of these questions and more need to be addressed too. For instance, the FA 35 is lauded for it's sharpness, but to me it is only an OK lens because of it's middling bokeh. On the other hand the Pentax A 35-105 isn't tack sharp wide open, but I really like the way it renders colors, especially reds. In addition it has a close focus function throughout its zoom range.
Will I sell my A 35-105? Never, there's nothing to replace it with. Will I sell my FA 35mm? In a heartbeat if the new lens has better bokeh, renders colors well and is as sharp as the DA 40mm.

NaCl(and I'd probably make a profit too)H2O
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

The optical formula for the FA 35mm f/2 AL (from Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount site):

And the optical formula for the DA 35mm f/2.4 AL (from the DC Watch Impress site):

Cheers,
09-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #41
Forum Member

I think that Pentax factored in the fact that ISO sensitivity is increasing so the loss of f/.4 is such a big deal if you purchase a modern body. This lens is probably a great match for the k-r.

I bought the FA35 f/2 for my K10D where having f/2 was pretty important as I'm limited to shooting at ISO800.
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #42
Site Supporter

If Pentax had used DA L 35/2.4 AL for the official name of this lens, I would suspect that they are going to release a DA 35/2 WR with metal mount and sealing along with a matching hood. All of the DA L zooms has a regular DA counterpart. However, given its name, I'd say that likelyhood is remote at this point.
09-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #43
Inactive Account

smc PENTAX DA L 35mm F2.4 AL - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

they actually are using DA L name, just not on the lens itself
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

OMG! FA and DA versions look pretty similar!
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
smc PENTAX DA L 35mm F2.4 AL - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

they actually are using DA L name, just not on the lens itself
That's been mentioned. Look at the name on the lens itself. The name on the lens matches the Japanese news release. Maybe there is a chance for a "regular" model to be released on the 20th to correspond with the K-5.