Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #16

K-r?????????????PENTAX
The Pentax Japan site seems to have more info now. The pink is bright.

09-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Falk: Great job you did with this "8-stops-push".

I find it amazing as well.
If it is going to be as good, if not better, than the D700 (JohnBee's post above), I can't hardly wait to see what's in store with the K5.
Hopefully this time, the flagship model will outdo the "entry-level-camera - read: Kx" in the noise handling department.
Top that with the supposedly better AF "safoxIX+" (for the K5) and we should have two winners: the K-r and the K5.

I've been "wanting" to have faster and more accurate/able-to-track AF and great noise handling for quite a while. Seems that Pentax might finally come up with what I need.

Last edited by jpzk; 09-09-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: missing words
09-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Another review with sample images.

Pentax K-r Hands On Preview - What Digital Camera reviews the Pentax Kr | Photography News | What Digital Camera
09-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Thanks for that! Everyone except IR seems to think that the sensor is the exact same as the one in the K-x

09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That's rather hard to beleive!
I can't say for sure(without more testing) but I think it's better than the D700!
I'm literally drooling waiting for the K5 announcement! I can only hope that one is a step up in ISO performance from this one (unlike the K7 was...)
09-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That's rather hard to beleive!
I can't say for sure(without more testing) but I think it's better than the D700!
I looked at K-x and D700, compared the two on my blog a while ago. Wrt DR, D700 and K-x are very close. D700 has almost a stop better low light (high iso) capability though. Not when you measure it. But the D700 noise looks more fine grain and therefore, is more pleaseant. Probably, there is some RAW-noise reduction at work with the K-x.

The +8stops push is similiar to both, exposure AND fill-light sliders pushed to the max in LR2.

That litle experiment makes me rather confident that K-r is not worse than K-x wrt DR. If it is better or if it has a different sensor at all, I'm not sure.

The idea of a different sensor comes from the press release of Pentax JPN (it's in both language versions!) which says that the sensor allows for faster readout:
QuoteQuote:
The accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during Live View shooting has also been enhanced by the incorporation of a new-generation image sensor and ...
It's just that Imaging Resource has read the press material a bit more carefully than some other staff
09-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Probably, there is some RAW-noise reduction at work with the K-x.
No doubt. I can actually see this in comparison with K20D shots.
09-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I updated my post post #9 with a 2nd raw pushed by +8EV, this time from a K-x. It seems like the K-r does have less noise except maybe for the darkest of dark where they may be equal.

09-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I updated my post post #9 with a 2nd raw pushed by +8EV, this time from a K-x. It seems like the K-r does have less noise except maybe for the darkest of dark where they may be equal.
If these findings remain consistent until testing, there is a very good chance that the K-r will perform on par with FF sensors. (where noise is concerned at least).

Several months ago I was told by Pentax official that their was a new camera that would give FF a run for its money and I think this is it.
I can't say I'm as hopeful on the sensitivity front with the K-5(faster system). But I I think I could live with a camera that worked every bit as good as the Kx where noise in concerned.

PS. I'm still holding on to the fact that the K-5 may be the real noise messiah, but... I can't say I'd be disappointed if it were the other way around. The K-r really seems like a capable camera too. One that I'd have no problems bringing on a shoot along with a K-5