Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will the Pentax K5 have 16MP from sony?

With they Kr using a 12mp sensor from sony and not the 14mp with 1080p I wonder how likely it is that the K5 will be using a 16MP sony sensor?

Is it possible that either:
a) K5 will not be released until early 2011 or
b) K5 will not be using 16MP sony and perhaps a different sensor? or
c) no K5?

There are some people on this forum that seem to be "in the know" somewhat, perhaps they could explain why Pentax did not use the 14 MP sony for the KR.

09-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #2

Kr is out now. where is K5? I am wondering when it will be announced。 KR looks nice but I am not interested since I have already got KX.
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sept 20 is the expected K-5 announcement date.
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

From what I understand this is not the same 12mp sensor that was found in the K-x, however closely related. And looking at the samples taken with the K-r so far, it seems to be a decent upgrade from that sensor. Why use 14mp when you know you've got a winner at 12mp?

09-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My money is on Fisher-Price or Leggo given the new nano-cam thingy...
09-09-2010, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The reason that Pentax went for the 12Mp sensor in the K-r is to have the best high ISO for an APS- camera. This also means that it is very likely that the new K-5, most probably with a Sony 16Mp, will not have as good high ISO as the K-r - but the K-5 will still be very competetive in high ISO and similar to the K-x there, it is just that the K-r is better. Pentax decided to give the K-r the best high ISO, not the most Mp.

Note that the 12Mp CMOS in the K-r is not the same as the 12Mp in the K-x.
It is a new version with even better high ISO performance, expect 1 EV better than the K-x, this means roughly about 2 EV better than the K-7 and 3 EV better than the K10D.

New K-5 should land on the same level as the current K-x in terms of high ISO, despite having more Mp's (smaller pixels means more amplification means more noise, so it is harder to make high Mp sensors with low noise).

Pentax has listened to the customers - they want the best high ISO, not really the most Mp.
Many wanted less Mp in the K-7 but better high ISO.
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am confused...why would your top of the line camera NOT have the best possible ISO but that can only be found in a lesser model. Seriously? That doesn't make any sense to me especially if they are both launched at the same time. I can see a Nikon D90 having better high ISO than a D300 but D90 came out later. And the D300s later got this upgrade as well. Of course the Nikon D3 smokes them all with high ISO. Shouldn't the K-5 have better high ISO than anything else Pentax has in the lineup along with other pro specs?

Also fine with waiting a couple of weeks for the K-5 announcement. Makes good marketing sense to me to stagger the announcements and let the anticipation and excitement build. Hopefully we are not still waiting for the excitement in the weeks following Photokina.
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The reason that Pentax went for the 12Mp sensor in the K-r is to have the best high ISO for an APS- camera. This also means that it is very likely that the new K-5, most probably with a Sony 16Mp, will not have as good high ISO as the K-r - but the K-5 will still be very competetive in high ISO and similar to the K-x there, it is just that the K-r is better. Pentax decided to give the K-r the best high ISO, not the most Mp.

It is a new version with even better high ISO performance, expect 1 EV better than the K-x, this means roughly about 2 EV better than the K-7 and 3 EV better than the K10D.

New K-5 should land on the same level as the current K-x in terms of high ISO, despite having more Mp's (smaller pixels means more amplification means more noise, so it is harder to make high Mp sensors with low noise).

Pentax has listened to the customers - they want the best high ISO, not really the most Mp.
Quite a lot of speculation and assumptions, or where does this come from?

09-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Forum Member

The CMOS sony offers in the latest generation is 14MP and 16MP. This 12MP sensor should be as same as K-X's.

09-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #10

it's not the same sensor as K-x , you are the same as RiseHigh...
It's different revision sensor ordered by Pentax and manufactured by Sony.
09-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it is a tweaked K-x sensor.
09-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Benji! Speculating a 12Mp sensor for Pentax's flagship? That's bold!
I'm sure there would be a few users disappointed with 12Mp in the K-5, even if for improved high-ISO performance. Would the fps and high-ISO be enough incentive for a K20D or K-7 owner to go to the K-5? Perhaps, but indeed even though the difference between 12-14-16 Mp are not highly significant I think it may matter even if a little to the consumer base...
09-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind if it was less MP personally. Nikon has stuck right around the 12mp size on some of their high end models for some time now. And it more than meets the needs of 98% of the people.
09-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has listened to the customers - they want the best high ISO, not really the most Mp. Many wanted less Mp in the K-7 but better high ISO.
The top of the range camera is intended for pros, and the mayority of pros want clean pictures, with as little noise as possible, and at the same time we want as much detail as possible. This is not easy to attain, as the physical size of each pixel should be as big as possible, and at the same time should the number of pixels be as high as possible, and that is not an easy task to solve with a set area, say on an APS-C sensor. But by using never kinds of photo sensors things are slowly but surely moving forward.

So I think the K-5 will foremost have a low noise sensor, at least as big (in MPs) as the K-7's!
09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Benji! Speculating a 12Mp sensor for Pentax's flagship? That's bold!
I'm sure there would be a few users disappointed with 12Mp in the K-5, even if for improved high-ISO performance. Would the fps and high-ISO be enough incentive for a K20D or K-7 owner to go to the K-5? Perhaps, but indeed even though the difference between 12-14-16 Mp are not highly significant I think it may matter even if a little to the consumer base...
Pretty sure he was following the previous couple posters and talking about the K-r sensor.