A little visualisation of how irSimple is envisaged to work

09-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting...
09-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Another interesting pic:

I bet it won't be long before some 3rd party, or even Pentax themselves, releases a lithium battery that occupies more of the vacant space in the battery compartment, and expands on the standard lithium battery's relatively modest 1050mAh.

That could certainly be useful, in light of the absence of a battery grip for the K-r.
09-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #49
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Having re-read the first post, you may be right that this is what he meant. It's honestly not clear from his post. Certainly if he thinks there's no pre-flash, he's wrong. If he thinks there's no AF assist preflash, though, he's right.
Sorry, AF assist preflash is what I was thinking.

wll

09-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #50
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On another note !

The more I think about the newer technology that went into the K-r the more I like it, it has some very nice features ... like I said before the HDR feature would be useful to me, especially now that the images are stitched IN CAMERA ... to me that is time saving and a plus. The high ISO is a HUGE deal with me, and the ONLY reason I did not buy the K-7 in the first place. As I already have two K-20D's why would I step back in technology to the K-7 ?, everything about the K-7 is better except the sensor .... and the sensor is the only thing that REALLY counts.

Going to be a tough decision coming up in the future
09-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The more I think about the newer technology that went into the K-r the more I like it, it has some very nice features ... like I said before the HDR feature would be useful to me, especially now that the images are stitched IN CAMERA ... to me that is time saving and a plus. The high ISO is a HUGE deal with me, and the ONLY reason I did not buy the K-7 in the first place. As I already have two K-20D's why would I step back in technology to the K-7 ?, everything about the K-7 is better except the sensor .... and the sensor is the only thing that REALLY counts.

Going to be a tough decision coming up in the future
I don't think the HDR peature has anything new that is not already in the k-x/k-7.

am I wrong here?
09-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I don't think the HDR peature has anything new that is not already in the k-x/k-7.

am I wrong here?
It has auto image alignment so no required tripod anymore...

09-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by ManWithCamera Quote
I can't imagine anyone using IR to transfer photographs. Speed may be improved over older IR technology, but my greater objection to IR is that it is line-of-sight! I don't want to have to set my camera down within a few inches of another device and make sure it stays pointed at it the whole time the pictures are being transferred.
I gather it is similar to a TV remote control, in which case distance and alignment may not be critical.

People are used to taking pictures on their mobile phone and uploading them to websites. You can't really do that with a pure camera, because it doesn't have a keyboard, so transferring the image to a mobile phone for upload is the next best thing. You won't be doing that at full resolution. A 640x400 JPEG is only 100k or so, which will transfer in 1/5th of a second according to the specifications I've seen.
09-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #54
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I bet it won't be long before some 3rd party, or even Pentax themselves, releases a lithium battery that occupies more of the vacant space in the battery compartment, and expands on the standard lithium battery's relatively modest 1050mAh.

That could certainly be useful, in light of the absence of a battery grip for the K-r.
I think that will happen, and it will be very cool, a very salable product and not much R&D !

wll
09-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I am very curious how much bigger the K-r actually is compared to K-x (or still how much smaller compared to K-7 and e.g. Canon EOS 550D)...
09-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
I am very curious how much bigger the K-r actually is compared to K-x (or still how much smaller compared to K-7 and e.g. Canon EOS 550D)...
In order, from smallest to largest by volume (box meeting external dimensions, as manufacturers don't publish actual volume, All figures are manufacturer-provided specs, and usually don't include projections like strap lugs, etc.):

K-x: 4.8" x 3.6" x 2.7"
K-r: 4.9" x 3.8" x 2.7"
K-7: 5.1" x 3.8" x 2.9"
Rebel T2i / EOS 550D: 5.1" x 3.8" x 3.0"

(incredible that even the weather-sealed K-7 is smaller than a consumer Rebel camera.)
09-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
In order, from smallest to largest by volume (box meeting external dimensions, as manufacturers don't publish actual volume, All figures are manufacturer-provided specs, and usually don't include projections like strap lugs, etc.):

K-x: 4.8" x 3.6" x 2.7"
K-r: 4.9" x 3.8" x 2.7"
K-7: 5.1" x 3.8" x 2.9"
Rebel T2i / EOS 550D: 5.1" x 3.8" x 3.0"

(incredible that even the weather-sealed K-7 is smaller than a consumer Rebel camera.)
Thanks!!!
- In my hands I thought the K-7 was (even significantly) bigger than the 550D...
- K-x was a bit small for me, but the K-7 more too big
- So I am happy the K-r is still smaller than the K-7
09-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Also for comparison purposes:
09-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks!!!
- In my hands I thought the K-7 was (even significantly) bigger than the 550D...
- K-x was a bit small for me, but the K-7 more too big
- So I am happy the K-r is still smaller than the K-7
Glad to help! I find the K-7 body size to be about perfect for my liking. I have big hands (I'm 6'1" tall) but find it very comfortable. I've used it side by side with the K-x, and while the K-x is indeed a bit smaller and lighter, I didn't find either difference wildly significant.

Incidentally, here's the weights (loaded and ready to go, except for a lens; again from manufacturer-supplied specs, except Eneloop figures for K-x are from my own measurement to nearest quarter ounce using reasonably accurate kitchen scales, and Eneloop K-r figures are extrapolated).

Again, I've sorted from lowest to highest weight. Remember that Canon has an advantage in body weight due to no in-body IS:

Rebel T2i / EOS 550D: 18.7 oz.
K-x: 20.5 oz. (lithium disposable batteries; ~22 oz. with Sanyo Eneloops)
K-r: 21 oz. (lithium disposable batteries; ~22.5 oz. with Sanyo Eneloops)
K-7: 26.5 oz.

Last edited by knoxploration; 09-11-2010 at 11:19 PM.
09-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found this link on another forum, but I'm reposting it here as I don't think anyone else has. It has some excellent videos and photos of the K-r, including excellent pictures showing the size of the K-r verses the K-x and K-7:

??? | PENTAX K-r ??? ??? - ??? | ??? ???