Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 05:11 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The first thing I did after reading k-r specs was was to check if there is any IrSimple USB dongle, not many in market but the protocol is new and hopefully we may get more soon, here is one

IrSimple Products

09-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
They would have been better off integrating Bluetooth or WiFi. The former is perhaps too slow and the latter perhaps uses too much power but both allow for many more possibilities that an IR connection - even if it is used in NTT Do Co Mo phones in Japan.

WiFi in particular would allow wireless tethering, transfer of live-view feeds etc. With the second battery in a battery grip it would also last a reasonable length of time.
It's easy to say that, but beyond just the power drain differences, there would also be differences in licensing fees which could significantly affect list pricing for the cameras themselves. It's possible that at the pricing they were aiming for, the choice was IrSimple or nothing. No way for anybody outside of Pentax to know whether Bluetooth or WiFi could've been fitted into the budget. (And speaking personally, I'd rather have a low-power GPS receiver than any of the above -- USB tethering is plenty good enough for me, and I'd never use wireless transfer at all.)

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
The first thing I did after reading k-r specs was was to check if there is any IrSimple USB dongle, not many in market but the protocol is new and hopefully we may get more soon, here is one

IrSimple Products
There are at least six to choose from:

Actisys-ACT-IR4021U
Actisys-ACT-IrS4020 IrSimple and IrDA FIR Software and USB Dongle Bundle
Actisys-ACT-IrS4020U IrSimple and IrDA VFIR Special USB Adapter
Actisys-ACT-IrS4021
Actisys-ACT-IRS4021U
Y-E Data-YD-8V35

No idea if they're all current models or available in the US, though.

IrSimple isn't a new protocol -- it's been commercially available since late 2005.
09-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #33
Site Supporter

No matches on Google shopping for those. If this could be used for some form of tethering to send photos to a computer, laptop, Ipad, etc., that would seem great.