Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
WTF is irSimple

It seems like Fuji must have paid them to put it into the k-r.

The only other things I could find with it are a few fuji P&S cameras and a sharp fax machine from blog posts on engadget.

The only thing I see that is available for sale in the united states is canon photo printer from newegg.

09-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
It seems like Fuji must have paid them to put it into the k-r.

The only other things I could find with it are a few fuji P&S cameras and a sharp fax machine from blog posts on engadget.

The only thing I see that is available for sale in the united states is canon photo printer from newegg.
Infrared Data Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My point is that nothing is compatible with it so what are you going to connect with. I haven't seen an IR port on a laptop or printer in years for anything other than a remote control if its an HTPC.

Pentax is not a big enough force to push a new standard like this.
09-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

I also didn't get much info. Perhaps sharing data or pics with other cameras? This is the most logical explanation. But then again, i don't even understand why Pentax is putting HDR and toy camera effects in its dSLRs.
AJ

09-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My point is that nothing is compatible with it so what are you going to connect with. I haven't seen an IR port on a laptop or printer in years for anything other than a remote control if its an HTPC.

Pentax is not a big enough force to push a new standard like this.
Oh. Well the press release says there's a game two K-r cameras can play with the technology.

That may be the extent of it.
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe there's some potential in a teaching setting? A group of students in the field can send photos to the instructor via IR for immediate critique and feedback?
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Maybe there's some potential in a teaching setting? A group of students in the field can send photos to the instructor via IR for immediate critique and feedback?
Knowing Pentax and this being the first implementation, it probably won't be smooth enough to do seamlessly. If it does have that use, it will be nice though

09-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it related to I.R. Baboon?
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The vast majority of camera users do NOT use a personal computer to load, store, or view photos. This includes most DSLR users in the developing world (and Japan).

Therefore vectors like irSimple substitute for PC uploading. Is it a gimmick? Hard to say. Many companies are looking to get around the PC roadblock without creating different models for each region.
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
ibk
Forum Member

Maybe this will clear it for you.

IrSimple, a High-Speed Infrared Communications Protocol Adopted as a Global Standard | Press Center | NTT DOCOMO Global

Maybe it's just Japan oriented function that we get as a bonus.
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My point is that nothing is compatible with it so what are you going to connect with.
Other "to be announced" Pentax products? Photo frame maybe? Small 4x6, 5x7 printer? The interesting thing is, since Pentax went to all the trouble to build the communication stack, why didn't they create a tethering control application for the camera as well. A nice little IR remote that controls aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Maybe transfers settings like the old tethering software for storage. What's it cost to put a couple of megs of memory in a IR controller for that? An old PDA with an app on it?

Just thinking out loud.

Thank you
Russell
09-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Video Game

Video Game!!
see link.
Google Translate

Go to Q& A for Ir simple

Last edited by Kenn100D; 09-09-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Note last
09-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The big issue with IR is that you need to be in light of sight. That's why bluetooth was invented, you don't have to worry about that. It seems strange to me that they would add cost to an entry level camera for a feature that hardly seems useful.
09-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The big issue with IR is that you need to be in light of sight. That's why bluetooth was invented, you don't have to worry about that. It seems strange to me that they would add cost to an entry level camera for a feature that hardly seems useful.
In all of the devices I have used - headsets, keyboards, mice, smartphones, laptops, etc... - Bluetooth has proven to be a bit of a power hog. Perhaps that's why Pentax went with irSimple. Line of sight is a drag, but requires a deliberate action and thus a deliberate use of power...
09-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Video Game!!
see link.
Google Translate

Go to Q& A for Ir simple
It still doesn't explain how the game is played