Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #16

Could this be used as a workaround/substitute for for true tethering?

09-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Could this be used as a workaround/substitute for for true tethering?
I've been told that it may even be used for flash control to.....

doubt it though.
09-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
might as well add that oh, so useful "printer button" as well since they went 1998 with the IR tech...joking but the whole IR thing has me scratching my head.

I could see maybe it could be a way to chain a series of bodies together like you can flashes and get multiple shots all at the same instant with bodies positioned around the subject/target....either way this is a consumer grade body and consumer grade gear (PC's or cameras) are the modern day beta test users base for new ideas...but, what the heck I doubt HoyaTax is charging the user anymore than $100 extra for this "feature"...
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I've been told that it may even be used for flash control to.....
It would be awkwardly positioned for that use.

09-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
It would be awkwardly positioned for that use.
Agree if true.
09-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If it could wirelessly sync with something like an iPad while shooting (since it's still kinda slow), that would rock. Bluetooth would do that, but I doubt this will since it is a line of sight technology.

I used to play with this back in the early days of laptops. It was a cool toy, but not extremely usable since they had to be within a couple feet of each other and aligned pretty well. I think this will be a cool toy also, but I'm not seeing the practical application of it. I hope I'm missing something...
09-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Well I think it sounds interesting

"The Kr is the first PENTAX digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple™ high-speed infrared data transmission system. Since this system allows the user to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices with great ease, users can effortlessly post images taken with the Kr on their own blogs via a cellular phone."

from Google Translate

If my phone can send the photo to my blog (with the right phone this will work) does this mean i could also upload the video to youtube? Might also be a worth a try on my daughters laptop (ASUS) which is about three years old and has IR.

Could be a really cool way of updating a blog on the run.

09-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

IrSimple

Perhaps, it's for an expanded IR remote control and, who knows, via a little USB IR receiver on a laptop? Would be nice...
In a 'white' room, you don't need to point the two devices directly toward each other, might be interesting in the studio, doesn't it?

Wait and see!
09-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
My point is that nothing is compatible with it so what are you going to connect with. I haven't seen an IR port on a laptop or printer in years for anything other than a remote control if its an HTPC.
Just because you're not familiar with them, doesn't mean they don't exist. IrSimple has been around for about five years, and has been included in quite a few products since late 2005. There are, for example, three current Canon photo printers which are IrSimple certified, and all three of them are available to purchase in the US market:

Canon PIXMA MP640
Canon PIXMA MP990
Canon Selphy CP790

There have also been IrSimple adapters for PCs, and PCs / notebooks with IrSimple built-in. Other compatible products include cellphones, DVD recorders, TVs, and a bunch else besides.

The IrDA website lists some compatible products, although I've no idea how up to date or comprehensive their list is. See them listed here: Welcome to IrDA

I would guess you'd be correct if you'd said that IrSimple products aren't particularly common in the US, and are easier to find in Pentax's home market. To suggest that they don't exist at all, and that the feature is somehow useless to anybody, however, takes it a bit far.
09-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The big issue with IR is that you need to be in light of sight. That's why bluetooth was invented, you don't have to worry about that. It seems strange to me that they would add cost to an entry level camera for a feature that hardly seems useful.
If it adds noticable cost at all - after all they already have IR in the camera for the IR remotes.
09-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #26
Banned

If there is an USB-connector IR receiver then we can use it on out laptops. So I'm just waiting to see how usable it is.
09-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

IrSimple is of course for taking infrared pictures. It will disable the standard IR blocking filter in front of the sensor.
What else could it be
09-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Sounds like it's use is for uploading pics to web through smart phone. Not a bad idea...and is in line with things like the multi-coloured 35mm prime lens.

Maybe other uses down the road as well. Could it connect to a smart phone so that phone could be used as a detached screen for the camera?

c[_]
09-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They would have been better off integrating Bluetooth or WiFi. The former is perhaps too slow and the latter perhaps uses too much power but both allow for many more possibilities that an IR connection - even if it is used in NTT Do Co Mo phones in Japan.

WiFi in particular would allow wireless tethering, transfer of live-view feeds etc. With the second battery in a battery grip it would also last a reasonable length of time.
09-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
In all of the devices I have used - headsets, keyboards, mice, smartphones, laptops, etc... - Bluetooth has proven to be a bit of a power hog. Perhaps that's why Pentax went with irSimple. Line of sight is a drag, but requires a deliberate action and thus a deliberate use of power...
Yes, I agree with that. When I get my cellphone the first thing I do is turn of Bluetooth so that I can get decent battery life.
Peter