chess?

09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
chess?
Mind games!
09-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #168

Sorry, I just don't buy the rumor with flash sync > 1/180s for newer flash units only. It makes absolutely no sense as it would be useless for any semipro or pro photographers using pocketwizards or studio lighting with pc sync cords.

Either the camera allows for flash trigging over 1/180s or it don't. It's just a matter of shutter timings. To make > 1/180s only available in a P-TTL secret/proprietary mode would be a sure way to tell all customers in this segment to stay away from Pentax in all foreseeable future.
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #169
Banned

Here's a couple more

Dedicated TC's. Matter of fact, NEW dedicated TC's

Every third party lens maker makes glass for it

180 macro
100-400

Lens rentals

No SDM Failures (I really want a 300DA* but...SDM)

Depending on what you shoot, Canon is a fine choice of camera, and Canon and Nikon cover more bases for more photographers than Pentax does. They don't make pink ones though, so that might tip the scales somewhat.

I'm excited about the K5. The price is what it is, and if the camera last 3 years, that's a buck 55 a day vs the Canon at a buck a day.

I can handle 55 cents a more day to shoot a fine Pentax camera.

On Manual, at ISO 50 and on a tripod too.

09-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
I dunno...640 & 720/60P (rather than 720/30P limit on the K-5), 1030/24P & 30P, 18MP > 16MP, Xsync = 1/250 with existing flashes (not just "flashes to be named at a later date"), higher res LCD screen, AF system works more accurately in lower light (true so far of all SAFOX units, we'll see if they've improved this one), SDXC support, compatability with a much more vast array of modern optics (especially long glass)...

...The thing is, I don't even shoot Canon...I'm using a Nikon system (D700 and some film cameras), so try not to get the idea that I'm a Canon fan-boy (though I have shot with Canon in the past). I just don't like people making silly excuses for any company attempting to gouge its user-base. After the K-7's IQ issues (particularly at higher ISO), you wouldn't expect Pentax to throw the next generation up at a price-point that is clearly failing for Canon already. It just doesn't make any sense. I also don't get why they fattened the K-5 up over the weight of the K-7...the K-7 was perfect in size/weight, IMO.
I've also got a D700 system—no worries, I wasn't accusing you of fanboyism. I was just curious, since everything I've heard from the Canon camp re: the 60D has been tinged with disappointment.

For me, the advantages you've listed are largely irrelevant (don't care about video or flash, the LCD advantage is marginal at best [is Canon's IPS?], etc). The focus on my K-7 has been consistently accurate and not that much slower than my D700, at least with screwdriven lenses. The lenses point is a fair one, but then the Canon camp doesn't have anything like the Limiteds. It also doesn't have the K-7/K-5's ergonomics or weather resistance or lightweight/small form factor or or or...

It really comes down to what you're personally looking for, and in small ways, each manufacturer is targeting a different audience. There's no doubt that Canon's audience is bigger.
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I only wish K-5 have interchangable battery with dedicated Litium-ion battery or AA battery, just like the K-r. Is so, I will get this to replace my k200. The only two downsides of K-r for me is weather seal + top lcd.

I think we will never get a k200 replacement from Pentax..

Lee
Most viable option for you would be K-7.
09-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #172
Veteran Member

I just noticed the 80 seals vs the 77 on K-7.
Where do you think the new 3 seals will go. does anyone have a clue?
Maybee the SR stick is back, or the sexy SD card door release latch. (shivers just saying it)............OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #173
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It also doesn't have the K-7/K-5's ergonomics or weather resistance or lightweight/small form factor or or or...

It really comes down to what you're personally looking for, and in small ways, each manufacturer is targeting a different audience. There's no doubt that Canon's audience is bigger.
I'd agree on all accounts (I don't know why Canon can't figure out that people WANT switch-gear for metering modes/AF modes/drive modes instead of dumpster diving in the software for it) except the lightweight. If these rumors are correct, Pentax has fattened the K-5 up to be 20-30g heavier than the 60D (w/ card & battery) and the 60D has been shaved down to only slightly larger than the K-7, closer to the size of the old 20D.

Yeah, everyone is playing to a different audience, totally agree there. I have never understood people buying the D300 at its price point, though I love the ergonomics of its FF twin...the D300 is just too expensive for what it offers. Then Canon pulled out the 7D at the same price roughly as the D300/D300s, but left the ergonomics in the stone-age, which is completely stupid (look around...lots and lots of used 7Ds for sale). The K-5 feels like a move to mimic the D300s at the Nikon's price. I'm lost...the price is at least $300 too high, IMO (as is the D300s...which is why Amazon.com has it for $1475 now).

09-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

I think we will never get a k200 replacement from Pentax..
You and me both buddy.

However, as good as the k200d is, I'm looking for a significant upgrade and the k5 just might do the trick.
09-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
I'd agree on all accounts (I don't know why Canon can't figure out that people WANT switch-gear for metering modes/AF modes/drive modes instead of dumpster diving in the software for it) except the lightweight. If these rumors are correct, Pentax has fattened the K-5 up to be 20-30g heavier than the 60D (w/ card & battery) and the 60D has been shaved down to only slightly larger than the K-7, closer to the size of the old 20D.

Yeah, everyone is playing to a different audience, totally agree there. I have never understood people buying the D300 at its price point, though I love the ergonomics of its FF twin...the D300 is just too expensive for what it offers. Then Canon pulled out the 7D at the same price roughly as the D300/D300s, but left the ergonomics in the stone-age, which is completely stupid (look around...lots and lots of used 7Ds for sale). The K-5 feels like a move to mimic the D300s at the Nikon's price. I'm lost...the price is at least $300 too high, IMO (as is the D300s...which is why Amazon.com has it for $1475 now).
The price will fall after people stop buying it at that price. This time next year it will be at around the 1000-1100 US mark. Unless the world ends.

Edit, I just read that and it sounded like I support you. What I am trying to say is that Pentax camera prices are now designed to fall IMO.
09-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #176
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As with most other high end products that technology keeps superseding and making obsolete in a matter of months...
09-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote

No SDM Failures (I really want a 300DA* but...SDM)
How many SDM failures have you seen reported on the DA* 300mm?
09-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
The price will fall after people stop buying it at that price. This time next year it will be at around the 1000-1100 US mark. Unless the world ends.

Edit, I just read that and it sounded like I support you. What I am trying to say is that Pentax camera prices are now designed to fall IMO.
The fact is Pentax bodys dont hold its value very well. how much was it when it just came out last year? Now, you probably can easily find a deal on a brand new one for less than 830.

The used market is even worse. (not bad for buyers) I guess the k5's price most likely will drop to under 1000 by the end of next year.
09-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
The fact is Pentax bodys dont hold its value very well. how much was it when it just came out last year? Now, you probably can easily find a deal on a brand new one for less than 830.

The used market is even worse. (not bad for buyers) I guess the k5's price most likely will drop to under 1000 by the end of next year.
Body prices are not interesting. It's the glass that counts. That's why I've been hoarding the rare primes and zooms from Pentax (see my sig)
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #180
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think bodies are interesting for a little while, until a newer, better body comes along. We seem to enjoy the fleeting feel-good sensation that comes with new technology. I guess that just wasn't there as much with the old film bodies - there was another element that counted a lot: the film...