Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
the upcoming K5 is an exciting revelation.

the K7 entered the speed domain, with respectable FPS rates, but at times I had been a little undergunned with the 5.3 FPS rate. It however displayed that Pentax was soon to arrive at competition "Pro" speed levels.

at the rumored 7-8 FPS rate, The K5 will certainly keep pace with beasts from Nikon and Canon weighing 2-3x the weight.

From what I have gathered, the K5 should be near identical in size to the K7, so my specialized custom housings will still fit for my water use.

exciting times await, only a few more days until the official announcement.

cheers!
Hello Mark. Nice to hear from you. I think you have a lot work and you decided not to be under NDA. I think our friend Bong is (Pentax Cebu).

09-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
even if the new k-5 comes in with d700 like performance the d800 will come out and be that much ahead again for the next 18 months, then the k-4 will come out and have d800 like performance but the d900 will come out and be that much ahead again...

So you have to accept that aps-c will always be one stop worse off in the same generation of sensor and will always be like this. If your a pro who requires this extra bleeding edge performance you've already got the d700.
09-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yenemy Quote
Ugh... everything looks great (almost... too great, really) except for the MSRP.

If accurate, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Pentax thinks it's ready to price up with the bigger market players, which eliminates their primary market advantage: value for money. This has already happened with their lenses; the FA50/1.4 is $350+ now??

Not to say that Pentax cameras aren't great, but Nikon/Canon have such overwhelming advantages in other respects -- availability, after-market and after-purchase support, community size and prevalence -- that the price/performance advantage has really been the best vector for them to improve sales.

At $1600, there's no way I'm picking up a K-5, even with those specs. $1000, maybe. $1200, doubtful... even as an upgrade to my K-10.
We all know Canon and Nikon since they are already established. Lets just wait for the actual product testing and see if the price is worth it. Also, we are only discussing the camera itself, i believe we are still to see 3 new lenses or more , new flash guns WR, accessories of sorts which will cater to Pro's.

If all of this does not satisfy the current Pentaxian's waiting for an upgrade then you can shift to canon or nikon or sony or the rumored E-5 to suite your targeted budget.
09-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
That is very odd that the camera has only that range of EV compensation. Has there been any word about auto bracketing for us HDR users? If the EV is that limited, what is it going to say about auto & extended bracketing?
EV -2 to +1 is for flash. Nothing to do with usual EV comp.

09-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #245
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
We all know Canon and Nikon since they are already established. Lets just wait for the actual product testing and see if the price is worth it. Also, we are only discussing the camera itself, i believe we are still to see 3 new lenses or more , new flash guns WR, accessories of sorts which will cater to Pro's.

If all of this does not satisfy the current Pentaxian's waiting for an upgrade then you can shift to canon or nikon or sony or the rumored E-5 to suite your targeted budget.
I pray the new flashes are true, I really do.

It dawned on me lastnight that for now I simply won't be exiting Pentax as it almost has everything I need, aside from a few quirks.

For me to jump to a Canon or Nikon system would give me a moderate advantage but not enough to justify changing over.
09-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
the K20D has live view as does the K7.

I can't see features being removed without good reason. Perhaps live view is so commonplace it doesn't warrant a mention any more. Don't all entry level bodies have it now?
In fact, it is even easier: does the camera have Video mode? Yes? Then it is has LiveView.
End of debate.
09-11-2010, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #247
Forum Member

(chuckle) Here we are, panting for slow ISO like 25 and 50 when we had these things with film years back, courtesy of Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, etc. My Olympus C8080 from 6 years ago offers ISO 50 as does my Kodak P880. And the C8080 sports dual card slots (CF and xD). So Pentax have some catching up to do.

Both these bridge cameras are fronted by a superb piece of glass - f2.8/4.1 24~140mm (eqiv) Schneider on the Kodak and f2.4/3.5 28~140mm on the Olympus. I'd prefer to see Pentax addressing the question of versatile, fast-ish optics like these, which would do more for photography than some of the techno-freaky stuff discussed here.
09-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I'm with you. I'm sitting with a reasonably loved K10 and looking for credible evidence that it will take better photos than the K10.

To me, I'm looking for improved dynamic range and higher ISO's
Well, having the K10 and the K-X, I must say that the K-X indeed increases the keeper ratio, so I expect that you'll be very pleased with either a K-R or K-5.

White balance is significant better than the K10 (not a big issue cause I shoot raw), but due to the increased ISO I often shoot the K-X in its DR mode, which under exposes ISO 200 with one stop, giving you ISO 400 shutter times with minimal blown highlights and decent low noise.

Add to it the better low light focusing, and the K-X is an excellent performer in difficult situations and when you're in a hurry.

On the other hand I still love my K10 for all those situations when I'm not in a hurry and can spend more time on selecting the right exposure and use the ISO 100/200. The bigger viewfinder of the K-5 (compared to the K-R/K-x) and double control wheels and weather sealing might cause me to get one next year.

09-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #249
Veteran Member

I am very, VERY worried

what do they mean by 22nd???? I am quite sure the initial rumors were about the 20st.... Already a delay before announcement??
09-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
It's for the tripod junkies - you know, the corroded old geezers who consider ISO 64 "fast.

Or perhaps if you're sitting on the surface of the sun and want to preserve your narrow depth of field.
Or old geezers who know what a sharp image looks like.
09-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Sdm II

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
Personally, I am surprised that Pentax is releasing a new flagship so soon. Maybe I am alone on this, but I would have thought SDM II could be a more lucrative technology. Considering the issues that surrounded the K7 (of which I got to experience first hand) I would be reluctant to rush off and buy a k5.

As it is I have been holding off on my lens purchases hoping that Pentax would officially address the issues with the SDM... What good is ISO 4 Billion if you can't focus?
I agree, I love my SDM DA50-135, but it is often too slow when focusing action scenes. To make better use of all this promised improved action AF, one need to use screw drive lenses or improved SDM ones.

Cause I don't have a weather sealed standard zoom yet, I would buy a DA* 24-75 SDM II lens in a hart beat, and yes, I know that's a classical FF range, but 16-50 is a bit too short for my kind of shooting.

Keeping my fingers crossed for some high end glass, cause I have money burning in my pocket and I cannot buy a new body cause I'm on a strict two year body cycle

Last edited by tomtor; 09-11-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling
09-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #252
Site Supporter

My K10D has broken and I can't wait for the K5, please let it be on time and available in the UK.
09-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #253
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
(chuckle) Here we are, panting for slow ISO like 25 and 50 when we had these things with film years back, courtesy of Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, etc. My Olympus C8080 from 6 years ago offers ISO 50 as does my Kodak P880. And the C8080 sports dual card slots (CF and xD). So Pentax have some catching up to do.

Both these bridge cameras are fronted by a superb piece of glass - f2.8/4.1 24~140mm (eqiv) Schneider on the Kodak and f2.4/3.5 28~140mm on the Olympus. I'd prefer to see Pentax addressing the question of versatile, fast-ish optics like these, which would do more for photography than some of the techno-freaky stuff discussed here.
Your joking right?
What DSLR has an ISO option lower than ISO 100? I can't think of any....
In that case, according to you, EVERYONE has some catching up to do compared to your bridge camera's
09-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote

Slow ISO: OK, a slow ISO can sometimes be necessary. But, are you ready to give up on higher ISO, in return?
Dual card slots, CF and xD... that's no advantage, but a failed attempt to support a proprietary card.
"f2.4/3.5 28~140mm" - for a DSLR sensor? Are you ready to pay for it? The Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR is 1099 euro, btw. True, it's an FX.
09-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #255
Pentaxian

Well I'm excited for the new K-5. So it's going to be in my bag for X-mas.

On the 80 seals: maybe they did something about the holes in the body: X-sync and Mic-jag.

I started at the K20D and now have the K-7 and this sounds like a good step ahead.