Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #331
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I just noticed the 80 seals vs the 77 on K-7.
Where do you think the new 3 seals will go. does anyone have a clue?
Maybee the SR stick is back, or the sexy SD card door release latch. (shivers just saying it)............OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
i'll take a guess on one of them, the additional card slot, since it has two of them

09-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
1/250 for newer flashes, NOT 1/180
do you Understand the mechanics behind camera shutters?

If the synch speed is 1/250th then that is what it is regardless of the flash unit's electronics. there is no "newer" method of synching flash unless Pentax has added and extra pin to synch the flash because older flash hotshoes on pentax DSLR cameras go dead when the shutter speed is set to anything over 1/180th. But In the end that is just a limitation of the camera body, I can get my AF540FGZ to synch at 1/500th on my 645NII with a leaf shutter lens. no new flash unit required. I don't see pentax radically redesigning their hot shoe contacts at the risk of alienating their existing user base, if they did it would piss People off. Pentax is about compatibility.

QuoteQuote:
Quite a few people have explained how this can be plausible. Search the thread.
just because something is plausible doesn't mean it is likely. Take a look at those 120Mp APS-H canon digital sensors...just because they can make them doesn't mean that they are going to be used in a production camera..

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-11-2010 at 11:25 PM.
09-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Where did you get this from?
From this thread.
Seems like some of the discussion in this thread could be moot if it turns out that the "credible" news where just rumour of sorts.

I don't really understand why the K-5 "specs" made it on the pentaxforums news page if the information wasn't a 100% confirmed.
09-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
just because something is plausible doesn't mean it is likely. Take a look at those 120Mp APS-H canon digital sensors...just because they can make them doesn't mean that they are going to be used in a production camera..
Have you actually read what I'm referring to? For one, Canon has a flash (for sale today, in the real world) that increases the possible sync speed.

Because sync speed also depends on how fast a flash can release it's full power, a faster flash can increase the sync speed. It's plausible. It could very well be real. It could be a way for Pentax to increase the sync speed and answer the call for a better, WR flash at the same time.

09-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #335
Veteran Member

do you Understand the mechanics behind camera shutters?

If the synch speed is 1/250th then that is what it is regardless of the flash unit's electronics. there is no "newer" method of synching flash unless Pentax has added and extra pin to synch the flash because older flash hotshoes on pentax DSLR cameras go dead when the shutter speed is set to anything over 1/180th. But In the end that is just a limitation of the camera body, I can get my AF540FGZ to synch at 1/500th on my 645NII with a leaf shutter lens. no new flash unit required. I don't see pentax radically redesigning their hot shoe contacts at the risk of alienating their existing user base, if they did it would piss People off. Pentax is about compatibility.

The mechanics and the 'firing' cyclus of an in lens leaf shutter is completely different than these of a curtain shutter, you can't compare it…
On a leaf shutter any flash is so called 'fast', as fast as the max. speed of the shutter. But the 'speed' of the flash hasn't changed, it's the point when it is fired that is always on the same point, regadless the speed of the opening and clousing of the leafs.

Ernest Wildi (Hasselblad) has written some interisting artikels on this matter, better written than what I have just done here.
Or, Google for 'Synchro Compur' shutter and all will be revealed…
09-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
I wonder if the lens focusing background clatter and noise when taking video with the K-7 and K-x has now been solved?
??? Does your current Pentax camera auto focus in video mode?
09-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
The mechanics and the 'firing' cyclus of an in lens leaf shutter is completely different than these of a curtain shutter
yes they are not directly comparable because they are mechanically quite different. I don't think I was clear on my point. If a shutter has a synch speed of 1/250th that is it. No flash can alter that fundamental fact,so the idea of new flashes suddenly enabling a photographer to use 1/250th Without HSS as a full synch speed is suspect.

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Or, Google for 'Synchro Compur' shutter and all will be revealed
I own several compur lenses that I use for Large format photography. I don't need that explained.

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Canon has a flash (for sale today, in the real world) that increases the possible sync speed
I call BS on that. Synch speed is dependant on the Shutter mechanism, not on the flash unit. Unless the user has activated High speed synch. The 1DMKIV which synchs at 1/300th is the fastest natively supported synch speed possible with canon speed lights.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-12-2010 at 01:38 AM.
09-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
indications are that the k-5 will stomp all over the 7d for high iso
Right-o. What indications would these be?
09-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #339
Veteran Member

I call BS on that. Synch speed is dependant on the Shutter mechanism, not on the flash unit. Unless the user has activated High speed synch. The 1DMKIV which synchs at 1/300th is the fastest natively supported synch speed possible with canon speed lights.
He probably is referring to HSS. Nice tech to have but output is decreased by QUITE a bit.
09-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Someone posted this image on a German forum.
It is an advertisement on a cab in Cologne, Photokina town.
Funny, the first official photo on a cab.

Last edited by blende8; 09-12-2010 at 02:31 AM.
09-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #341
Veteran Member

yes they are not directly comparable because they are mechanically quite different. I don't think I was clear on my point. If a shutter has a synch speed of 1/250th that is it. No flash can alter that fundamental fact,so the idea of new flashes suddenly enabling a photographer to use 1/250th Without HSS as a full synch speed is suspect.

I own several compur lenses that I use for Large format photography. I don't need that explained.

This, I could not know, apologize me if I offended you.
I have quite an extended LF equipment too, mainly Linhof, that I use on my studio flash generators. These Multiblitz generators are rather 'slow', that is flash duration, and this would not change with altering shutter speed. Indeed, flash synchronization is all in the shutter. However, I have a few Multiblitz Variolite 1000 mono-blocks that are specially build to have a rather short, or should I say high —, flash duration. Again, this duration, thus 'speed', has nothing to do with the shutter. Shutter speed can be faster than flash duration and vice versa…
09-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ah now I understand the confusion. The shutters synch speed is independent of the duration of peak output of the flash. The duration of which is referred to as the T number. All the shutter has to do is get out of the way the instant peak flash output occurs, the fastest speed the shutter can accomplish this is referred to as the X-synch shutter speed.

If Pentax comes out with a new flashes especially if they make something along the lines of This with a Radio Wireless flash triggering system solution I will be extremely happy. But knowing pentax, my hope for such a thing has the same chance as a snowball in hell.

Linhof? never used them professionally, mainly because their cameras don't have a great scope of camera movements Like the Ebony and Sinar cameras I use, but their cameras were much smaller as a result.Though I will say the newer cameras look very promising.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-12-2010 at 02:35 AM.
09-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #343
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
7D good high ISO, you must be joking Calibrate your monitor and compare
My monitor is calibrated (x-rite i1display2)! Not that it would make any difference to seeing noise - I was looking here Canon EOS 7D Review: 15. Photographic tests (Noise): Digital Photography Review
09-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #344
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigtench Quote
My monitor is calibrated (x-rite i1display2)! Not that it would make any difference to seeing noise - I was looking here Canon EOS 7D Review: 15. Photographic tests (Noise): Digital Photography Review
But "everyone knows" how noisy it is, except for those who actually own and use one.

Excellent 3200 prints and decent 6400 ones, yes thank you.
09-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #345
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigtench Quote
Compare - deda-deda - Ó÷àñòíèêè - Ôîòîãàëåðåÿ iXBT
7D vs GX20

ALL NOISE REDUCTION SET TO ZERO. IT'S DEFAULT PICTURE FROM DCRAW.

http://fotkidepo.ru/?id=album:24689
it's raw file from DPREVIEW's review...

I don't believe in noise comparision in DPREVIEW's test. I check RAW files myself.