Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #391
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Can we please avoid this term in the forum please?

It sounds ok but everybody understands that it is meant to mean *ssho**. We're all photographers.
Lol it's a good term though.

There are quite a few people here who seem to profess they know more than the camera companies yet do nothing more than whinge.

09-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #392
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
There are quite a few people here who seem to profess they know more than the camera companies yet do nothing more than whinge.
That's certainly true. But name calling doesn't help. You still need an argument when argueing. Or ignore the post (or poster).
09-14-2010, 03:44 AM   #393
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Yet another idiotic statement by an armchair expert. I refer you to my 7D ISO 6400 100% crop over on this thread (which I noticed the 7D bashers on this board have chosen to ignore):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/113314...ml#post1167826

You will also find ISO 3200 shots by Pingflood here.
Indeed, armchair experts.

The 7D has the best APS-c sensor to date (and 550D....is that the same?....now the 60D also)
I think the K-5 will be up there.... If it beats the 7D I will be very impressed.
The K-x exhibits slightly better noise, but with less detail, considering the MP difference.
09-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #394
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,193
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
But name calling doesn't help. You still need an argument when arguing. Or ignore the post (or poster).
+1

In particular "ignoring" is an underused response.
(Not excluding myself with this criticism, but I'm working on it...).

09-14-2010, 04:17 AM   #395
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's certainly true. But name calling doesn't help. You still need an argument when argueing. Or ignore the post (or poster).
With absolutely all due respect Falk, I'm not name calling (apologies if it came across that way) but I absolutely object to complete misinformation particularly when totally disproven with solid fact.

If I was to post "man the K-5 sucks at high ISO", I'm sure there would be backlash. For the record, I think the K-5 is going to be tremendous, particularly as a travel body given it's size and suspected weight.
09-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #396
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
The 7D has the best APS-c sensor to date
Does it now? I think you'll find almost everyone here will disagree with you.

So does DXO:

DxOMark - Compare sensors

One of the worst current gen sensors. Or did you think megapixels = better?
09-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #397
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's certainly true. But name calling doesn't help. You still need an argument when argueing. Or ignore the post (or poster).
You are right though.
09-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #398
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Indeed, armchair experts.

The 7D has the best APS-c sensor to date (and 550D....is that the same?....now the 60D also)
I think the K-5 will be up there.... If it beats the 7D I will be very impressed.
The K-x exhibits slightly better noise, but with less detail, considering the MP difference.
what are you smoking ?

09-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #399
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In any case many journalists have jumped on the chance to send video back with their stills for the evening news. It saves the broadcaster an extra person in the field.
I'm questioning this. As I found out by myself while you take video, you cannot take pictures (actually some Canon models allow you to take a picture during video but then it cuts the video, not good for professional coverage). When video will have enough resolution that you can take a frame from it as a still pictures things will be different, but up to now the highest it can do is about 2MP.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski:
The 7D has the best APS-c sensor to date
Yes an no. If we go by the DXO numbers, it has a very good control of high ISO noise but colors (K-7 beats it) and dynamic range (K-x soundly beats it) are not amongst the best. Resolution which is not tested by DXO (a pity because it should make into the overall score) is probably the best due to the pixel density.
09-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #400
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
I don't think anyone will dispute the DR ability of the K-x sensor, it's truly awesome and according to the DxO results, better than the DR of the Nikon D3 and 5D Mk 2. However, that is only part of the equation of a DSLR; the rest of the K-x as a whole is no use to me.
09-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #401
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Indeed, armchair experts.

The 7D has the best APS-c sensor to date (and 550D....is that the same?....now the 60D also)
It's funny...As for me, 7D has the worst APC-S sensor. I've tested RAW from 7D with DCRAW and compare with GX20....
GX20 is much better at ISO1600.
09-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #402
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In any case many journalists have jumped on the chance to send video back with their stills for the evening news. It saves the broadcaster an extra person in the field.
Which has some really negative impact: At large number of the news reports I watch on TV these days are a pain in the eyes of a photographer: Focus is almost always wrong, mostly focus is on the background and the person being interviewed is severely blurred

Last edited by gazonk; 09-14-2010 at 07:55 AM.
09-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #403
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Which has some really negative impact: At large number of the news reports I watch on TV these days are a pain in the eyes of a photographer: Focus is almost always wrong, mostly focus is on the background and the person being interviewed is serverely blurred
That's something the producers and directors need to get after them about.
09-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #404
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's funny...As for me, 7D has the worst APC-S sensor. I've tested RAW from 7D with DCRAW and compare with GX20....
GX20 is much better at ISO1600.
I take it you didn't read my thread blowing your myths out of the water, no? You could take the time to read it since you badgered me to provide crops.
09-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #405
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Osaka
Posts: 144
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
I don't think anyone will dispute the DR ability of the K-x sensor, it's truly awesome and according to the DxO results, better than the DR of the Nikon D3 and 5D Mk 2. However, that is only part of the equation of a DSLR; the rest of the K-x as a whole is no use to me.
And then people wonder why I don't and will never trust software sensor analysis such as DxO...
DR in Kx is good, OK, but find it better than the actual best FF camera... And compared to a MF, Kx is still winner?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, flash, focus, movie, p-ttl, pentax news, pentax rumors, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toronto Meetup #7 - Sunday November 22nd 2009 - The Distillery District Steinback Travel, Events, and Groups 9 11-23-2009 08:28 AM
CONFIRMED UK Prices - No Rumour rparmar Pentax News and Rumors 67 09-20-2009 12:13 AM
Time for a new rumour on K30D welshwizard645 Pentax News and Rumors 34 04-24-2009 01:33 PM
Rumour: K3D, 22 Mp, square sensor cateto Pentax News and Rumors 134 02-27-2009 11:45 AM
Rumour Geyst Pentax News and Rumors 41 10-09-2007 09:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top