Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohanBene Quote
The even number of focuspoints and the x-sync depending on flash makes this sound fishy
Same.

I wouldn't normally post this, but as many of the specs line up with what I've been told by other sources I give it a tiny bit of credibility but still not entirely convinced.

09-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
This is the one for me! (salivating)

I've had a D700 on stand-by and held off having a fire sale because I was told by a Pentax service manager that the new Pentax flagship camera would match or exceed the D700 in terms of low light performance and so I'm really hyped about this one. Because it means, saving thousands of dollars and months of hassle as I'd have to sell off everything I own in order to start a new kit for work. However... if Pentax delivers(as promised), then I get to keep my beloved Pentax kit and step-up my game without all the hassles.

So should things pan out, replacing my K20's with K-5' will be a win win for me.
Oh and the wife is already pretty excited about the K-r as well. Though she did mention she'd miss the grip option she had with her K200D.

AND ISO 50... how about that!
If the high iso performance of k-r matches (or close to) D700, I can't wait to see what it will be for K-5. I am not in a rush to buy one, but I will be tempted though.
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #18

How about native ISO 100? That's much more important to me than ISO 1 million...
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
How about native ISO 100? That's much more important to me than ISO 1 million...
If it will do ISO 50, it will do ISO 100. The 50 has peaked my interest but I'm waiting to see. We'll have to get through all the ISO 12000 frenzy though.

09-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first impression - CMOS? I want to know this thing can handle long (I mean super-long) exposures like the CCD sensors could. So the same sensor as the Sony A580 that's rated for 7fps, eh? Hmm - I'm looking forward to the announcement - and then the hand-on review...

Everything else looks just about right other than the ISO range - 100-12,800 seems more plausible (OK, preferable )

Last edited by Ash; 09-09-2010 at 06:21 PM.
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Sounds like it's worth $1699 to me, I'm glad they might get in the video game, but it sounds like Pentax is no longer trying to differentiate themselves by price, the Kr and K5 look like they have to compete with the others on merit alone since they don't offer much price advantage like the Kx did (or the K7 does now, but that's not exactly the same)

They have good cameras, but before it just seemed so easy to pick Pentax because the prices were so low

Last edited by future_retro; 09-09-2010 at 06:23 PM.
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Drool!!!

09-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, I am in. I am on a K20, so I had already talked myself into the idea that I would skip the K-7 and go for the next flagship model. I wanted three things - better ISO performance, more AF points, and a higher fps (I shoot the hockey team my husband coaches). It looks like I am getting my wish! Now I just wish they would hurry up and announce it so I can get my preorder in.
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohanBene Quote
The even number of focuspoints and the x-sync depending on flash makes this sound fishy
The flash thing is actually plausible.

Pentax lists the AF540's flash duration at approximately ¹⁄₁₂₀₀ seconds at full power. But that's the T.5 duration — the time in which the light output is at least half of the brightest level. The T.1 duration (time in which light is at least 10% of peak) for Metz's 48 AF-1 and 58 AF-1 flashes is only ¹⁄₁₂₅. Pentax doesn't list T.1 times, and Pentax USA doesn't know what they are. (Someone could measure, but I don't have the right equipment.) It may be that Pentax feels that faster than ¹⁄₁₈₀ is simply cutting it too close with the existing flashes.

New flashes could have a shorter full impulse, allowing shorter shutter speed. (Although presumably ¹⁄₂₅₀ should be available on older flashes at reduced power, maybe that's too much complication.)
09-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The flash thing is actually plausible.
If the x-sync changes are true, then Pentax may have very well proven themselves to be one of the most dedicated camera manufacturers on the planet with respect to listening to their users.

Time will tell of course, but I'm just imagining if they did... that would very pretty awesome.
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Portrait AF.C sounds pretty retarded. Overall, if it's close to these specs I'll be jumping for it, though.
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good points about the flash sync. Thanks for the insight Matt.
1/250 is a decent improvement and would please many users, including myself.
Now it would be great if Pentax releases its next flashes without those terrible locking pins...
09-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #28

I'm new to the system with K-7. (Just said hi in intro thread. Hi again!)

My return window with Amazon remains open till the end of this month so I should be able to see what K-5 will offer and then decide. So far, I'm actually leaning towards keeping the K-7. I'm sure K-5 will be superior to the K-7 in all aspects, including a big improvement on the high ISO performance, but for shooting RAW only (and fast primes), K-7 is quite good enough. Less than $870 for K-7 body against $1600 initial price tag of K-5 is quite hard to beat, at least for me. I'd get a nice prime with the difference and aim for K-3 or K-1 as the next body upgrade.
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Well, I am in. I am on a K20, so I had already talked myself into the idea that I would skip the K-7 and go for the next flagship model. I wanted three things - better ISO performance, more AF points, and a higher fps (I shoot the hockey team my husband coaches). It looks like I am getting my wish! Now I just wish they would hurry up and announce it so I can get my preorder in.
I'm in the same position. Would like to see whether they're going to reintroduce some of the things that are better on the K20D such as the combined scroll/rocker wheel and buttons on the left side of the LCD screen.
09-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

If the new camera has these features on top of the many features already on the K-7 I would be very interested in upgrading from my K10D.

Can hardly wait till news releases to see what we actually get.