Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have an email here that explains why only a 1/180th limit and it's a limitation in the flash guns themselves not having enough power to adequately sync past 180th, that was confirmed by a pentax engineer or so im told.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The flash thing is actually plausible.

Pentax lists the AF540's flash duration at approximately ¹⁄₁₂₀₀ seconds at full power. But that's the T.5 duration — the time in which the light output is at least half of the brightest level. The T.1 duration (time in which light is at least 10% of peak) for Metz's 48 AF-1 and 58 AF-1 flashes is only ¹⁄₁₂₅. Pentax doesn't list T.1 times, and Pentax USA doesn't know what they are. (Someone could measure, but I don't have the right equipment.) It may be that Pentax feels that faster than ¹⁄₁₈₀ is simply cutting it too close with the existing flashes.

New flashes could have a shorter full impulse, allowing shorter shutter speed. (Although presumably ¹⁄₂₅₀ should be available on older flashes at reduced power, maybe that's too much complication.)

09-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Oh my! I was going to "upgrade" to the D700 for faster af, iso, and greater DR, but this sounds like it has all that.

Might have to pick a couple of these up! Looking forward to actual release notes.

c[_]
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #33

But it does not make sense to spec the camera like that. Unless they want to fool people into thinking they need to buy the new flash. And if the new flash is several months away...
09-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
If the new camera has these features on top of the many features already on the K-7 I would be very interested in upgrading from my K10D.

Can hardly wait till news releases to see what we actually get.
x2! This is looking like the camera I will end up buying... at some point, and then I'll stick with it till it breaks.

09-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #35
Dan
Pentaxian

Looks great!

I hope that these specs are correct. If so, the new camera looks great on paper. The price is a tad high, but the street price should be lower, and the price should ease a bit over time. If the image quality is as good as I expect, and if they have solved the mirror-slap problem (which seems likely), then I will be a buyer.

Dan
09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thought of ISO 50 has me thinking about the days of Kodachrome 25. Images as I recall were amongst the best I ever took with a film camera.

On bright days and at times when you want to really slow the action down (i.e. shooting moving water and creating blur etc.) that extra stop will alleviate the need for using ND filters as much as I do now.
09-09-2010, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is an exerpt of an email regarding the k7s flash sync:

Flash sync could have been upgraded with firmware to go to 1/320 sec without SR and 1/ with it (see Nikon specs.) and the capture rate could have been given a boost with a bigger power supply, but expense was too great. The reason the higher flash sync was not used was the flashes needed, and still need, an upgrade. While they offer high speed sync., the operation of that function is far different from being able to work fully at a higher shutter speed.

09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #38

The thought of ISO 50 has me thinking about the days of Kodachrome 25. Images as I recall were amongst the best I ever took with a film camera.

On bright days and at times when you want to really slow the action down (i.e. shooting moving water and creating blur etc.) that extra stop will alleviate the need for using ND filters as much as I do now.
Would be fantastic if the iso 50 is native.
09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Unlikely I reckon, from memory the base iso of the Sony sensors is 200? And expanded is 100, I don't know any aps-c cameras that do 50, or am I wrong?

I personally don't believe 50 iso on the k5
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks very nice. My K20 was just repaired and I should have it back tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing what the first adapters see and have to say, along with the reviews. However, the K20 still has a lot of life left and I still have a lot to learn, as I have not exceeded it yet - and probably won't.. So, if its as good as it may appear, there is always the opportunity to acquire it during its end of life, when we do this all over again.

The ISO 50 looks very interesting along with the AF with the multiple focus modes. I would like to turn off DFS, but not holding my breath on that one.

The possible specs show a progressive evolutionary in functional capability and growth from the K20 - K20 - K7 into the K5.

I am wondering if they will slip in something like focus bracketing - like they did with the in body HDR on the K7. I think that would be useful to a lot of users, then would be initially apparent.

With the K7 having essentially an in body lens inventory, for distortion correcting along with BF/FF, if they would extend this and have some sort of lens focus range calibration with the screw drive (along with SD backup for SDM lenses). If so, then I would be wondering if by way of the 35/2.4 lens loosing the focus distance window, if by chance they have found a way to range the lenses such that they are able to reasonably estimate the distance (and active focus point) and record it in the EXIF meta data.

It will be interesting to see just what is announced....

09-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Having just sold my K20D for lack of complete owner satisfaction, if these specs hold true I'll have a K-5 by next summer!

Fast AF, better ISO range and performance, 8fps... Mmm.
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash connectivity with IrSimple would explain why they would bother at all with introducing this feature in the K-r. Apparently it's part of a new flash system.

Introducing IrSimple so you can transfer photos from one camera to another seems kind of... pointless.
09-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
This is an exerpt of an email regarding the k7s flash sync:

Flash sync could have been upgraded with firmware to go to 1/320 sec without SR and 1/ with it (see Nikon specs.) and the capture rate could have been given a boost with a bigger power supply, but expense was too great. The reason the higher flash sync was not used was the flashes needed, and still need, an upgrade. While they offer high speed sync., the operation of that function is far different from being able to work fully at a higher shutter speed.
everybody does not use pentax own flashes. I am shure everybody with a flash with shorter duration would have liked the faster sync. I dont think pentax holds a feature back like that
09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is true, I will most likely have a K7 for sale in the near future!

So, here's the deal:

1. You guys buy the K5 at full price
2. Let's let the users' tests come in.
3. Let's see more reviews from "official" testings facilities.
4. Let's wait about six months so that the price comes down a bit.
5. I sell to one of you guys the K7 for a back up camera, grip and all (unless the grip remains the same as that of the K7).

Well, of course we still need to see what the AF is capable of. I don't really care about the larger number of MP's ... just as long as the noise is handled properly at high ISO and that the AF system is drastically changed, we have a deal!
Oh, I forgot: please hope that the nice features of the K7 already in place are kept intact.

JP
09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
If this is true, I will most likely have a K7 for sale in the near future!

So, here's the deal:

1. You guys buy the K5 at full price
2. Let's let the users' tests come in.
3. Let's see more reviews from "official" testings facilities.
4. Let's wait about six months so that the price comes down a bit.
5. I sell to one of you guys the K7 for a back up camera, grip and all (unless the grip remains the same as that of the K7).

Well, of course we still need to see what the AF is capable of. I don't really care about the larger number of MP's ... just as long as the noise is handled properly at high ISO and that the AF system is drastically changed, we have a deal!
Oh, I forgot: please hope that the nice features of the K7 already in place are kept intact.

JP
I'd sell it soon, it's value might drop pretty severely

I was so lucky to get $800 for mine yesterday

Last edited by future_retro; 09-09-2010 at 08:23 PM.