Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
if I was not happy, I would just buy one of the others......no point in whining about a rock in your shoe, just stop and take it out, how hard is that?
My thoughts exactly and I acted on this a few months ago and picked-up a used D700 as a result. But when it came time to to replace my Pentax kits, I soon learned that the problem was not akin to a rock in a shoe, but more along the lines of an entire new set pair of shoes!

So once the hype of owning FF wore-off and reality set in. I realized that I did not make enough money to replace my Pentax kit with a FF one. In fact... doing so would required that I completely revamp my business model and take things in a completely new direction as a result. Which turned out to be a dead-end for me since I worked long and hard to position myself where I am today and here I was contemplating returning to a place I swore I'd never go to(shooting for a living).

Anyways... for what its worth, I'm very happy Pentax delivered the goods this year because I was really starting to feel the burn with my current gear. But more importantly, it allows people like myself to stay current without having to sacrifice something in the process.

BTW. running a pair a D700's and an outtake body on a shoot is not for the faint of heart and I'm more than happy to admit that.

09-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
If that is the case, I really need to save my pennies to buy it. I'd buy it for the $1600 too. (Just thought I'd get ahead of those that tend to gripe about Pentax Prices). If it was a Canon or Nikon it'd be more than that.
D7000 = 1200 $
7D used = 1000?
09-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I studied that to some extent (final report is pending). The overall gain in stops thru out the range of exposure times is 2 stops for the K-7 SR. However, it has a weak spot around 1/80s where the gain can be less and a sweet spot around 1/15s where the gain exceeds 3 stops.

VR lenses don't beat the Pentax SR around it's sweet spot or for exposure times 1/200s and less for long tele lenses. Tele VR lenses typically don't deliver more than 2 stops either.

The comment that sensor shift is inferior because not tuned to a particular FL is wrong. The rotation of a shaking camera are FL-independent. Therefore, the antishake motion is simply exactly proportional to FL.
Falk, I am not singling out your post, since others have contested the value of SR on longer lenses, but I thought your counterpoint is well taken.

I can unequivocally state that the Pentax SR does work very well, even as low as 1/125 or 1/250 sec. @ 600mm. The images I've taken seem to prove this and I have razor sharp images at 1/100 sec. at 300mm... That or my support system of a Gitzo tripod + Wimberley gimbal head + solid long lens technique = sharp images at below reciprocal shutter speeds... take your pick, but SR at longer FL works fine for me!

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
For bird photographers, excellent AF, low noise at high ISO and FPS are critical for getting consistent and reliable Birds In Flight shots....

So if these prove to be close to or matching the actual spec on the new camera (presuming there is actually a K5 coming out), and the reviews are good, I will finally be upgrading my trusty old K10D...
Second the motion!

From a wildlife and low light photography perspective (often intertwined), I would also hope that ISO 1600+ images are up in IQ league of the K-X as a minimum. I found the K20D very good up to ISO 1250 - with just a bit of NR in post processing - if exposed correctly.

I primarily shoot in RAW, but the idea of less PP work towards NR at higher ISO isn't something I'd be adverse to having go away or lessened.

QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
the upcoming K5 is an exciting revelation.

the K7 entered the speed domain, with respectable FPS rates, but at times I had been a little undergunned with the 5.3 FPS rate. It however displayed that Pentax was soon to arrive at competition "Pro" speed levels.

at the rumored 7-8 FPS rate, The K5 will certainly keep pace with beasts from Nikon and Canon weighing 2-3x the weight.
I do know that the higher FPS would be a boon. As you indicated Mark, sometimes it's "not quite enough" and I agree. Looking forward to the official release specs!!

Cheers,
Marc
09-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #229

Bravo pentax bravo

09-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #230

well i think i got my xmas pressie sorted! :P
the K5 should be a nice upgrade from my K200D.
and to think i almost bought a K7..
09-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #231
Inactive Account

I didn't notice it anywhere as I scanned through the forum, but will this new camera have Live View? That's for us old F@@@s that have bad eyes.
09-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #232

live view

the K20D has live view as does the K7.

I can't see features being removed without good reason. Perhaps live view is so commonplace it doesn't warrant a mention any more. Don't all entry level bodies have it now?

09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(clicking on link from email inbox.) Well, there we are. If it's not just a wish-list made to make the actual release seem disappointing, well, That looks ....quite sufficient.

Needed a piece of good news, tonight, so, that can be, for now.
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #234

It may be just me, but movie mode in a DSLR does nothing for me.

If I want to take movies, I use a movie camera.

Makes me wonder what the trade-off in still photography features was to cater for it.

Maybe in the entry level models, but not in the top of the range model.

Just my 2 cents worth.

trublubiker
09-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesR Quote
well i think i got my xmas pressie sorted! :P
the K5 should be a nice upgrade from my K200D.
and to think i almost bought a K7..

Here's hoping it's not a Sept. 20 announcement of a Jan. 15th ship, for both our sakes!!
09-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
EV -2 to +1??

That is very odd that the camera has only that range of EV compensation. Has there been any word about auto bracketing for us HDR users? If the EV is that limited, what is it going to say about auto & extended bracketing?
09-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
But if you can sync with new flash at 1/250 why wouldn't I be able to sync with other flashes at the same speed or with Cybersyncs using my Alien Bees which I can't do now?
I don't have time to read all 16pages of this thread right now - but in case nobody else has mentioned this. The Canon 1DmkIII has a similar capability with the 580exII flash. Put any other flash on that camera and you will have a sync of 1/250 but with that flash you can sync 1/320... pretty cool.

as an aside - with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5's you can sync the same flash at 1/500 - 1/640 using the control TL timing functions. Its how they are flashing indoor stadium action with strobes in the rafters these days (NHL hockey)
09-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #238
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
the upcoming K5 is an exciting revelation.

the K7 entered the speed domain, with respectable FPS rates, but at times I had been a little undergunned with the 5.3 FPS rate. It however displayed that Pentax was soon to arrive at competition "Pro" speed levels.

at the rumored 7-8 FPS rate, The K5 will certainly keep pace with beasts from Nikon and Canon weighing 2-3x the weight.

From what I have gathered, the K5 should be near identical in size to the K7, so my specialized custom housings will still fit for my water use.

exciting times await, only a few more days until the official announcement.
I think that people should take notice of this post. Considering Mark's an official Pentaxian, I'd be surprised if he hasn't got a pre-release version in his own hands right now.
09-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #239
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The price is way too high. As US$ prices always translate directly in £s and add 30% for €s, then the Canon 7D body undercuts it by some 35%. The Sony Alpha 580 with the same sensor and kit lens is less than half the price.

What on earth makes Pentax think their camera built around the same sensor is worth more than twice as much, and roughly the same as the FF 5D Mkll?

They might as well just say they're giving up camera production and have done with it.
09-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #240
Inactive Account

Ugh... everything looks great (almost... too great, really) except for the MSRP.

If accurate, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Pentax thinks it's ready to price up with the bigger market players, which eliminates their primary market advantage: value for money. This has already happened with their lenses; the FA50/1.4 is $350+ now??

Not to say that Pentax cameras aren't great, but Nikon/Canon have such overwhelming advantages in other respects -- availability, after-market and after-purchase support, community size and prevalence -- that the price/performance advantage has really been the best vector for them to improve sales.

At $1600, there's no way I'm picking up a K-5, even with those specs. $1000, maybe. $1200, doubtful... even as an upgrade to my K-10.