Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #256
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Slow ISO: OK, a slow ISO can sometimes be necessary. But, are you ready to give up on higher ISO, in return?
Dual card slots, CF and xD... that's no advantage, but a failed attempt to support a proprietary card.
"f2.4/3.5 28~140mm" - for a DSLR sensor? Are you ready to pay for it? The Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR is 1099 euro, btw. True, it's an FX.
It's something to aim for. I'd pay more for advances in lens capability than extra pointless electronics on the camera.

As for ISO I've never had to use more than 400/500 so wouldn't be missing anything.

I mentioned dual card slots because it's a worthwhile part of the spec for many people but often overlooked.

09-11-2010, 02:40 AM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Question is,where should be the af point no.18?
Perhaps the centre spot has two AF points with different sensitivities or sizes associated to it?

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
AND ISO 50... how about that!
It's only "expanded" so it won't be terribly useful (dynamic range will be limited compared to a true ISO 50).

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
New flashes could have a shorter full impulse, allowing shorter shutter speed.
You've got this reversed. The sync-speed is determined by the shutter speed. There is a minimum time (1/180 for previous Pentax DSLRs) the shutter can be fully open. If you go faster than this then this is implemented by running a (more or less wide) slit over the sensor. If that happens the flash duration needs to be at least as long as the slit needs to travel over the whole sensor surface. So the trick to get shorter shutter speeds with flashes is to have the flashes emit longer not shorter impulses.

Maybe the 1/250 speed can be obtained with certain flashes that emit sufficient power for at least 1/250sec without requiring HSS (which I understand is implemented with a sequence of short impulses that sufficiently overlap).
09-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #258

Gee, nobody seems at all excited about Video Mode.

How many serious photographers want a video camera incorporated into their serious still camera? I for one don't.

As I said in a previous post, the flagship model should be aimed at the Pro end of the market, those who want the best gear for their still shots, and bung the video camera in the entry level model where the user may not be so fussy about the quality of their work, and would appreciate the extra bells and whistles.
09-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #259

Photos: Gallery
Is this new camera going to support remote controlability?

A big feature loss when they pulled it out after K20D IMHO.. anyone has info on that?

09-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #260
Inactive Account

As a Km owner looking to upgrade to a better spec I was saving my pennies for a complete system change to an EOS 7D, mainly due to the higher ISO quality but also better accessory support. The K7 looked great on features - just the final picture quality couldnt match the Canon was putting me off. I'd love to stick with Pentax as certain features like dust detection and DNG raw format I really like, plus I can keep all my current lenses! So heres hoping that the RAW picture qual can match that Canon bad boy! Is that the same sensor as in the Sony alpha range?
09-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #261

QuoteOriginally posted by bigtench Quote
As a Km owner looking to upgrade to a better spec I was saving my pennies for a complete system change to an EOS 7D, mainly due to the higher ISO quality but also better accessory support. The K7 looked great on features - just the final picture quality couldnt match the Canon was putting me off. I'd love to stick with Pentax as certain features like dust detection and DNG raw format I really like, plus I can keep all my current lenses! So heres hoping that the RAW picture qual can match that Canon bad boy! Is that the same sensor as in the Sony alpha range?
7D good high ISO, you must be joking Calibrate your monitor and compare
09-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #262

Photos: Albums
Excellent! 1080p and manual mode with mic jack!

and if it's true, ISO 50 is VERY nice for me!

09-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #263
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
Gee, nobody seems at all excited about Video Mode.

How many serious photographers want a video camera incorporated into their serious still camera? I for one don't.

As I said in a previous post, the flagship model should be aimed at the Pro end of the market, those who want the best gear for their still shots, and bung the video camera in the entry level model where the user may not be so fussy about the quality of their work, and would appreciate the extra bells and whistles.
5D Mk2 and 7D are "serious cameras" and have video mode. And they are started to be used ALOT by professionals for professional video work for commercials, video clips, etc.

Also myself, as an amateur(like most of pentaxians) finds this very good. I don't have to carry with me my HD camcorder as well as my DSLR.

Third thing, if it only had 720p or no video at all - be sure this would have a very negative impact in any review or direct "side by side" against competition.
09-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #264

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
5D Mk2 and 7D are "serious cameras" and have video mode. And they are started to be used ALOT by professionals for professional video work for commercials, video clips, etc.

Also myself, as an amateur(like most of pentaxians) finds this very good. I don't have to carry with me my HD camcorder as well as my DSLR.

Third thing, if it only had 720p or no video at all - be sure this would have a very negative impact in any review or direct "side by side" against competition.
The point I was trying to make was that if you try to incorporate two different formats into the one camera, the output quality of one, or both, will probably suffer.

It's my belief that most serious still photographers would rather have the maximum benefits for their chosen mode and be prepared to forego things like kiddie video add-ons
09-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #265
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, raz does say right - even though enthusiasts go for the stills and not the video in dSLRs, if Pentax abandons video on their dSLRs, they're relinquishing a significant market in the rest of the consumer base who DO compare specs (and we even see that here on the forum ).
09-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #266
Inactive Account

it's very simple.

2 photographers meet
photog 1 asks photog 2 do you have video in your dslr?
photog 2, i never use it so i don't need it. ahh.. no my dslr doesn't have it.
photog 1, really? mine does even if i don't use it. bummer. who's your manufacturer?

you can't have a situation like that happen.
like it or not, video is a selling point.
09-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote

Hopefully it will have 1080p/24fps which seems to be what everyone wants. Canon caught a lot of grief for not including this initially with the 5DII.

Overall though, this is the camera I was hoping for and then some when I moved away from the Pentax brand a couple of years ago (used to have a K20D). Rumors kept appearing about a new dSLR but nothing really materialized so I jumped ship and to be honest was pretty happy with my decision when the K-7 was released.

This camera however seems to be taking a serious stab at addressing the biggest problem I personally had with the Pentax line: autofocus performance. Hopefully they have not just slapped more AF points on, but rather revamped the system to be far better. Looks like the K-5 has serious potential.

And to those complaining about the price, it is up there in specs with the 7D and people are gladly paying 1600 bucks for that.
09-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #268

Ash, I agree with you, and raz.

My contention is that if Pentax want to be a serious contender in the enthuiast/semi-pro market, they need to go all out for it, and that doesn't mean dangling carots, like video mode, in their top model.

By all means make that option available in the Kx, where most users would probably appreciate the facility.

I would like to see Pentax back up near the top, for the quality of their lens, and for bodies that are able to to utilise them to their fullest.

BTW, I switched to Pentax after 30 years with Canon.
09-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
like it or not, video is a selling point.
Yes ...
... and no.

You're right for today and video is here to stay on dSLRs. Because it comes for free like it does in my phone (HD even ).

But with the advent of cameras like the Sony NEX-VG10E, the video function in dSLRs will become obsolete. A nice anecdote of history and a nice add-on for the occasional clip. All the rigs manufactured etc. will disappear and therefore, dSLRs won't be possible to be used for any serious work in the future anymore.

Much more interesting in dSLRs will be a 24fps mode with ~6MP resolution though Even if with an electronic rolling shutter, preferrably not.
09-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #270

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I typically upgrade to Pentax flagship model every other time. Since I have the K-7 I'll probably skip this one, but I am watching with interest because it's points to the direction the company is heading in the future. I am well pleased. If the autofocus speeds up as is promised and the ISO performance goes up significantly as well, I'll be very happy.

I for one do want video in my flagship DSLR. It's not what I buy a DSLR for, but I want to be able to use it. I haven't had my K-7 for long so it's too early to know how much I will use it, but from my perspective it does need to be there. Those on the forum who don't want to use it don't have to. It would be different if having it in camera meant the camera wasn't as good in other areas, but I don't think that's the case.

Pentax continues to be a company that really listens to those of us who use their products. I'm very happy to be a Pentaxian. Thanks Pentax for listening to those of us who use your equipment!

Last edited by PentaxRev; 09-11-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Had an additional thought that related to discussion.